Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

1,309 posts in this topic

BBC News: Anguish of missing girl's parents

The three year old girl was left alone with her two-year-old twin younger brothers.

The parents, both 38-year-old doctors, had been dining in a tapas restaurant a few hundred yards from the apartment.

Madeleine vanished from an apartment bedroom on Thursday evening while her parents were at a nearby restaurant. ... They think someone must have come in the window and gone out the door with her.

If it wasn’t for the fact of orphaning the other children I would recommend baseball bat therapy for the parents. Some people are too stupid to have children.

Oh my god!!! Just read the whole report on the link you provided.

I am not only disgusted by the story itself (ie that parents would leave their tiny children alone to go out drinking). But also disgusted that in the report no-one seems to be questioning the decision of these lunatic parents. Is it that old British class thing? they are middle class therefore the press sympathise with them instead of judging them?

Also, something a bit dodgy here, don't you think. I'm sure the police are investigating the parents. They would definitely be my prime suspects.

The police have said they believe they know who has taken the girl but have not released details as of yet in fear of her safety. They also said they believe she is ok and is within a six mile radius of where she was taken from. Sounds a bit specific coming from the plod but they still havent said anything more about it yet.

Some people just shouldn't have children period and punkt. It is not ever a right, but it is every time a responsibility. The greatest responsibility there is.

I would recommend baseball bat therapy for the parents.

I think that you may be a little sick.

take care,

space

Not advocating the parents' behaviour, but just to clarify: according to both the BBC and Guardian articles, they were checking on the kids every half-hour - one of the Guardian ones also says they could see their apartment from the restaurant. It was 100 yards away in the same holiday complex. Not that that makes it ok to leave small children unattended, of course, but maybe the proximity and view of the apartment gave them a false sense of security. I feel very sorry for the parents as well as the child - they're probably blaming themselves terribly now.

I actually agree with Tiggi. I could see how many people might think it was ok, given the proximity. I'd even consider doing it myself but only in the case that I had a baby monitor with a good enough range. Going without one is a bit dumb, though...

Edit: Make that a *video* baby monitor.

When i hear stuff like that it makes my blood boil i could never imagine leaving my daughter alone, least of all to go drinking, i hate even putting her in to bed at night and sitting in the living room without her. I really hope that little girl turns up safe though, and that these idiots learn their lesson

I could see how many people might think it was ok, given the proximity...

Yep, first daughter, in Spain we stepped out of the hotel for a nice meal while she slept, small hotel. The owner checked the room every 15 min to half hour. Baby was sleeping.

We also left her in our apartment in Paris a dozen times with the neighbour as a somewhat sitter, coming in and checking on her also as she slept. A peaceful sleeper.

Second daughter, we never left as she was not a quiet sleeper. Travel was challenging but found sitters in every city, you just had to pay.

Third daughter got left with grandparents, as we travelled with first two.

We did have one incident with a sitter in the UK, her boyfriend called her and she left my two oldest (6 & 8 then) with some stranger until our return, never mind we had a "handy". Almost called the cops on her...

Forth daughter gets tossed around, sitters, sisters (now 12), cousins and hotel staff. But never alone when we travel; we have left her sleeping at home to run a short errand. Feel guilty about that but c'est la vie.

I love how you all pounce on these poor people.

I imagine they about to pounce on you, sounds like you have made some selfish decisions with your kids.

Like stepping out of a room ...

BTW they where 40 yards away. For dinner. But I love how easy it is to kick at them. via Internet.

The parents were stupid, there's no two ways about that. I hope they find the little girl safely...

Even checking every half hour or 15 minutes or 10 minutes is too little. A child can choke in less than 4 minutes - what good is coming back to check ten minutes after the fact?

Baby phones when within a one minute distance, baby sitters if not - definite must.

Edit - obviously depending on the age. My 10 year old can be left alone for a few when he is awake if I run to the store. But I would still not leave him unattended at night.

Not advocating the parents' behaviour, but just to clarify: according to both the BBC and Guardian articles, they were checking on the kids every half-hour - one of the Guardian ones also says they could see their apartment from the restaurant.

Initially I thought the same thing, because I thought the brothers were older. But in the picture, it looks like the brothers are younger. Pretty stupid thing to do really.

My 10 year old can be left alone for a few when he is awake if I run to the store Post#14

I thought there was a minimum drinking age!

Even checking every half hour or 15 minutes or 10 minutes is too little. A child can choke in less than 4 minutes - what good is coming back to check ten minutes after the fact?

Not sure I understand this point? Are we supposed to check our sleeping kids every 3 minutes at home then?

I was going to reply to some of the comments on this thread ie "working class" / "middle class" ? Comments about them being "out drinking" ... but you know what, I won't even bother. A child has gone missing ffs ... some of you are really sick ...

What i cannot get in to my head is why the fcuk did they not take their kids with them.We have been to many foreign countrys and have always found places that welcome children with open arms.You have kids you do not leave them alone at night anywhere.Anyone on this Forum leave their kids alone at home to go out on the Razz on a Friday - Saturday night.I think so NOT.

I hope they find the young lass healthy and well.What i hope even more is that they find the sick twunt who kidnapped her and really go to town on that person