Residence permit issued abroad for non-EU citizen

9 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I finally landed myself a job in Germany after months of hunting. :)

I am currently still in Singapore (where i'm from) and will be moving over only in June (that is if there is no trouble with my visa application! :blink: )

Anyway, when i went to the German embassy this morning to apply for the residence visa, I was told that I will only be granted a 3 months residence visa and that my company in Germany has to apply for an extension for me when i do get over. Does anyone know how this works? Couldn't they just give me a longer term visa right from the start?

Thanks

Cheerios,

Serene

This is normal procedure. The German embassy in your home country will issue only a 3 month visa. However you can obtain a long term residence permit within one week once you are here.

Thank you so much! Puts my mind at ease...

Now all i have to do is to wait patiently for my visa...

What is the general time frame taken to process a residence permit for an applicant married to a EU citizen? The official response that i got was between 6 - 8 weeks! I am just wondering if anyone has got it done earlier than the stipulated time!

What is the general time frame taken to process a residence permit for an applicant married to a EU citizen? The official response that i got was between 6 - 8 weeks! I am just wondering if anyone has got it done earlier than the stipulated time!

I had it done within a week (without marriage but had a job), but I got a relocation agency to handle it for me (ok, the company paid the bill). They know the loops, make sure you have all the necessary paperwork and letters from your company, and speak the language - I just had to meet with them twice. They have handled all the subsequent extensions as well. I have heard that it can also depend on your nationality - it is a relatively smooth process for Australians. I don't know how it is for Singaporeans or other Asian countries. Maybe someone else in Toytown can help there.

Regarding marriage - I had to do an residential visa extension following marriage (to a German citizen) but you have to be married for 3 years before you qualify for permanent residency. I got a 3 year extension on the spot (I already had a job), and it took 30 mins in all. You don't mention where your spouse comes from, or if you have a job - if they are not German it is a completely different situation.

@DE

Thanks for the info DE!

My husband is Polish and from what I have read, from 2007 Poland is considered a full fledged EU member and therefore all privileges apply. I am going to be applying from the German Embassy in Malaysia. Hope this info helps those who are/were in similar situations share their experiences.

Hello Joan,

Yesterday I have applied for the work permit/Residence permit from German Embassy in Malaysia. Can you share with me your status regarding your permit?

The lady there told me not to contact them for 8 weeks time and they will give a call whenever there is a news. She told the normal processing time is 4-8 weeks time.

For your info. I am an indian national currently working in Malaysia on a work permit. I have secured a job in Germany and got the contract, which I have submitted in the embassy along with other required documents.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Sudee

Hello Joan,

Yesterday I have applied for the work permit/Residence permit from German Embassy in Malaysia. Can you share with me your status regarding your permit?

The lady there told me not to contact them for 8 weeks time and they will give a call whenever there is a news. She told the normal processing time is 4-8 weeks time.

For your info. I am an indian national currently working in Malaysia on a work permit. I have secured a job in Germany and got the contract, which I have submitted in the embassy along with other required documents.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Sudee