To the Australians: Why are you here in Germany?

191 posts in this topic

The telephone throwing tanty chief was actually born in NZ.

I know but he is now Australian, and the owner of the South Sydney Rabbitohs, I was born in NZ too, and moved to Australia a few years ago. One major difference between Australia and Germany is that Australia is an immigrant country, built by immigrants, just like the US and Canada. The attitude towards immigrants in Germany and much of Europe is very negative, immigrants particularly those from Africa, Asia, and the Mideast are really looked down upon, much of this has to do with the reputation Turks and Arabs, mostly the males of these groups have ruined the reputation of all immigrants, lots of Arabic and Turkish youth gangs hang around the Düsseldorf Hbf at night, even the Lebanese in Sydney are nowhere near as bad as these, but what has happened is that Europeans now paint all non-white immigrants with the same brush, there is also a lot of racism against Eastern Europeans. As a whole immigrants are better able to integrate into the US, Australia, and Canada better than any European country. I myself am viewed as a Scheisse Auslander.

I even did some postgraduate study in the US, at UC San Francisco, found that SF and most major US cities to be very multicultural, sure they have problems but I really doubt Europe could function as good as the USA with all th different types of people that live in the US.

I find it quite the opposite. In Brisbane anyway, people are much less tolerant of people that come from overseas. Every second story on A Current Affair or Today Tonight is about some immigrant "cheating" the system, not to mention the government's attitude to asylum seekers, which is deport them immediately to a Guantanamo type island off the coast where Australian rules don't apply. Lets not forget this either. Australia is a very insular country. A large percentage of the population have never left the country, and have no interest in anything outside Australia either, cause you're brought up to believe Australia is the lucky country where we have it better than anyone else. I had an argument with a friend after he was taken aback when I told him I didn't think I would come back to Australia. His response was "Well, you're crazy, Australia is the best country in the world", to which I pointed out that he'd never been to another country so he wouldn't know. He tried to rebutt with the argument that some of his work colleagues were from the UK and they said it was the best country in the world. That is about as far as his interest goes as to what is out there.

If you come from Ireland/UK/America/Canada/even most of Europe you'll probably get on OK in Australia. But if you're Chinese or Middle Eastern, you should be ready to experience some xenophobia..

If you come from Ireland/UK/America/Canada/even most of Europe you'll probably get on OK in Australia. But if you're Chinese or Middle Eastern, you should be ready to experience some xenophobia..

How are the indigenous black Australians treated these days?

Hmmm...I guess the obvious analogy is that of the indigenous peoples of the US and Canada and Central/South America. Perhaps to the Maori in NZ as well.

A large percentage of the population have never left the country, and have no interest in anything outside Australia either, cause you're brought up to

Depends where you go -- I know places like that but there are also areas that are the complete opposite.

Statistics on the Australian population are that 22% of people were born overseas and "Approximately half of Australia’s population was born overseas or has a parent born overseas". As a result, many Australian people have a pretty good understanding of other countries, immigration and giving immigrants a fair go.

Every second story on A Current Affair or Today Tonight is about some immigrant "cheating" the system

That's true too. But which other countries have a government funded TV channel like SBS that shows foreign language programmes from all around the world?

A large percentage of the population have never left the country, and have no interest in anything outside Australia either, cause you're brought up to

I would agree strongly with this statement - I was in Melbourne at the time of the July bombings in London and none of the Australians were interested...Comments like 'why should I care what happens on the other side of the world?' still reverberates in my ears - I was truly surprised until I learnt that the attitude was the same with the twin towers disaster in NYC. It seems that only when its closer to home and affects the Ozzies directly (like the Bali bombings) that there appeared to be any type of concern. I found the attitude really weird.

As to the friendliness... not a chance... a majority of expats (unless they have school going kids which provide an immediate intro to others) seem to have battled big time with integration in OZ and after 6 months or more land up seeking out their own nationalities since they aren't made to feel welcome by the ozzies despite their best efforts...

Brisbane is known as Bogan Redneck(still over a third of the faces I see look Asian) country but Sydney and Melbourne, as well as Canberra are quite multicultural. I even know an African American lady from New Orleans who lives in Brisbane, she absolutely loves it there, and from her demeanor you can tell it. There was another American I ran into there, he was of Iranian origin, and enjoyed his time in Brisbane. There are parts of Germany with a lot of right wing Neo Nazis, look even remotely foreign in Lichtenberg area of Berlin or in some other East German cities, you could get beat up.

Heck Bondi could sometimes feel like Tel Aviv or even Capri, some parts of Melbourne I have spent time in are very multicultural.

I even have a friend whose father is Indian and mother is Irish, grew up in Australia, lived for a few years in the UK, then went back to Australia because he found the UK to be xenophobic. The Lebanese in Bankstown seem to go about their lives pretty normally and totally ignoring everyone else.

I find it quite the opposite. In Brisbane anyway, people are much less tolerant of people that come from overseas. Every second story on A Current Affair or Today Tonight is about some immigrant "cheating" the system, not to mention the government's attitude to asylum seekers, which is deport them immediately to a Guantanamo type island off the coast where Australian rules don't apply. Lets not forget this either. Australia is a very insular country. A large percentage of the population have never left the country, and have no interest in anything outside Australia either, cause you're brought up to believe Australia is the lucky country where we have it better than anyone else. I had an argument with a friend after he was taken aback when I told him I didn't think I would come back to Australia. His response was "Well, you're crazy, Australia is the best country in the world", to which I pointed out that he'd never been to another country so he wouldn't know. He tried to rebutt with the argument that some of his work colleagues were from the UK and they said it was the best country in the world. That is about as far as his interest goes as to what is out there.

Hutcho you are suffering a terrible dose of cultural cringe coupled with gross generalization. Have you ever been anywhere in Australia other than Brisbane? Not every Australian is a red neck banana bender.

Australians are amongst the biggest travelers in the world. A quick look at the ABS website will show you that in August 2006 alone 412,600 Australian residents departed Australia for a short term trip Not bad for a population of 20 million that lives a long way from anywhere other than lovely NZ.

I find it quite the opposite. In Brisbane anyway, people are much less tolerant of people that come from overseas. Every second story on A Current Affair or Today Tonight is about some immigrant "cheating" the system.

I disagree. I've watched just about every second story on ACA and Today Tonight. Plus, go check out the stories on their websites: http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/ and http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com.

But if you're Chinese or Middle Eastern, you should be ready to experience some xenophobia..

I doubt you can differentiate between a Chinese, a Japanese and a Korean.

It's to do with the way they cut their rice, right? Diagonally from top left to bottom right, top right to bottom left or horizontally.

@Hutcho - I thought most reports by such quality purveyors of journalism like ACA concerned topics like single mother welfare cheats, dole-bludgers, people who make dodgy compo claims, drug dealing bikie gangs and petty neighbourhood feuds (ie typical showstoppers guaranteed to get the blue-rinse set hot under the collar). Maybe I've been away too long?

@FranB - I wasn't at home in Sydney at the time of the London Bombings so I can't report on what the reaction was like there after that happened, but I was home to see the reactions to 9/11 and they couldn't have been more different to what you described in Melbourne. Maybe you were hanging out with the wrong people? Or maybe the folks in Melbourne are more insular and self-absorbed than Sydneysiders? (I wouldn't know since I haven't been to Melbourne. Nor have I been to Brissy ... or Perth ... or Adelaide - or anywhere outside of NSW and the ACT infact. Am ashamed to admit I have seen more of Asia and Europe than I have of my own country).

Hutcho you are suffering a terrible dose of cultural cringe coupled with gross generalization. Have you ever been anywhere in Australia other than Brisbane? Not every Australian is a red neck banana bender.

You might be right, and I haven't lived anywhere in Australia other than Brisbane, although I have been to quite a few other places. I have tried to note that I'm talking about Brisbane only most of the time, and other places could be different. I can't comment on every person from Australia, I'm just commenting about the people I know and interact with in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Maybe I'm hanging around with the wrong people. The people themselves are not my sticking point anyway, I only brought this up after ZeelanderZoo put it that Australian's are very accepting of foreigners. I think the people on the whole are much more friendly than here in Germany (bogans are often friendly), so that would actually be one positive for the place. I stand by my previously written bullet list of points though.

@Hutcho - I thought most reports by such quality purveyors of journalism like ACA concerned topics like single mother welfare cheats, dole-bludgers, people who make dodgy compo claims, drug dealing bikie gangs and petty neighbourhood feuds (ie typical showstoppers guaranteed to get the blue-rinse set hot under the collar). Maybe I've been away too long?

You're right, but don't forget about foreigners coming to get your jobs.. especially illegal ones working under the table and not paying any taxes.

The whole take on foreigners doing a 'Today Tonight' on the country happens everywhere, so that's not something that you can really have a dig at Australia about.

Brissie and Melbourne are also poles apart, much the same way that Dresden and Munich might be. Same country, much different areas internally.

Lack of rain here is having a major effect on quality of life, though at the moment. In melbourne we're down to 29%, though lo and behold it pummeled down about an hour ago. They reckon kids aged up to 7 years of age in Melbourne might not have seen a storm ever.

Hmmm...I guess the obvious analogy is that of the indigenous peoples of the US and Canada and Central/South America. Perhaps to the Maori in NZ as well.

The Maori got a good deal compared to the indigenous populations of the US/Canada & Australia. I think part of this is due to it being colonised so recently and the English learning from previous mistakes and partly due to the fact that the English couldn't over run the Maori by warfare and ended up having to sign a treaty.

There definitely are racial problems in NZ but not to the same extent as the US or Aus.

As to the friendliness... not a chance... a majority of expats (unless they have school going kids which provide an immediate intro to others) seem to have battled big time with integration in OZ and after 6 months or more land up seeking out their own nationalities since they aren't made to feel welcome by the ozzies despite their best efforts...

The same applies to NZ, we are very welcoming and friendly to travelers coming through NZ. Different story if you decide to try and start a new life there...especially if you are SE Asian

My family and I immigrated to Australia from France when I was 14. I went to a girls' high school which I found totally backward since in France I was used to the Co-ed ones. Anyway, my first year there, I was put in an ESL (english as a 2nd language) class where I befriended other foreign students among which a chinese girl. One lunch time, we went to sit on one of the benches in the courtyard when a group of girls came over and told us that it was their bench and that we should go back to our country. And this from a lebanese girl! I was schocked! But that is really the only incident regarding race that I can recall the whole time I lived in Sydney, until I was 23.

Hutcho, you started off all the rest who want to write a million paragraphs with your essay. I will make it easy for anyone still reading this thread: Australia sucks. Try being a 200 year old prison colony full of internationals who walk on your laws.