To the Australians: Why are you here in Germany?

191 posts in this topic

Ok, I don't know this area well, but out of interest I did a search to see prices in Hawthorn East. It doesn't look all that much cheaper than Munich to be honest. For example, this is $2million (€1.21 million) for a 3 bed/2 bathroom townhouse. House prices in Australia now pretty expensive, and if you compare like to like (Munich to Sydney for example), I don't think you'll find all that much difference.

You are very right. Prices now, especially in Sydney have risen quite a bit and could be easily compared to prices here in Munich. I'm kicking myself now for not having invested in a flat in Sydney 10 years ago while I was working in London and the pound was so strong!

Hell yeh, me too.. even 5 years ago houses in Brisbane were less than half the price they were now. I guess if you can tell the future though you could just guess the lotto numbers for next week.

Germany's ( and Europe's) biggest downside is the weather. Would love to avoid the long winters here

For me, this is one of the pull factors for Europe. They have seasons, in Auckland it's literally a dry and wet season with very little change in temperature, I find that a little boring

Me too. Pisses me off when people, especially ones from back home who have never traveled out of the country before, tell me that the weather in Europe is shit. In my opinion, the weather here is excellent. If anything it could be a bit snowier and colder in the winter, then it would be perfect. What someone classes as "good weather" is very subjective. Although most people dislike the rain (except people in Australia), I think you'll find that most people enjoy having distinct seasons.

The distinct seasons are a def plus here in Munich and although Melbourne's seasons are somewhat erratic - here in Munich they seem more defined... I had to smile about the comment on the 'friendliness' of people in Melbourne vs Munich - it really does show how subjective this topic can be... I find Munich far friendlier (aside from the grumpy customer Tengleman cashiers!) than Melbourne on a social level - doubtless if I had enjoyed footy more perhaps I would have settled better in Melbourne but Munich certainly has a lot to offer. As has been stated - no place is better or worse - its where one feels the most comfortable ... from an expense point of view I agree with Hutcho on the house price scenario - also one needs to look at the type and quality of housing one is paying for in Oz. With many of the houses being timber, some of the newer ones are not sound proof and the flimsiness of their construction becomes a serious consideration in terms of fire, termites etc... I lived in Hampton, south of Melbourne where some of the real estate is seriously expensive and it amazed me that I could hear my neighbours children running up and down inside their house even with the doors closed due to the proximity to which the properties are built in Oz despite the massive amount of space and land available. ~It's like all things where there is demand, the property prices rise. When one considers what many of those houses cost on a direct parallel to here (and watching the construction of a German wooden house shows it is vastly stronger and safer than the average Oz one) it makes you consider hard just what you may be investing in... This is what I found in the Melbourne area - in Brisbane, the house always struck me as more solid but the house market there has been a success story in the past few years... if one had known a few years ago what one knows now... easy to be wise after the event? -_- At least here in Munich whilst one may be living in apartments etc, my experience so far has been of well insulated buildings where noise (within reason) doesn't penetrate brick walls as it does in timber frame/plaster board walls of many of the newer Oz constructions seem to do...

There will always be resentment by those who have not travelled towards those that have (although they generally won't admit to it) and the Gold Coast is not alone with having people with this view. There were plenty in Melbourne too but to be fair you get them in all countries in the world.

Wherever one lives in the world - just be happy, experience life to the full and take the good things from it and learn from the bad - that's my motto! :)

This is what I found in the Melbourne area - in Brisbane, the house always struck me as more solid but the house market there has been a success story in the past few years...

The new houses in Brisbane are similarly built. When I first got to Munich and heard it can take 6 months to build a house here I couldn't believe it. In Australia, they'll put a house up in under 4 weeks. The difference in the quality shows though. I talked to a builder friend about this once and he gave me a good reason for it though, something to do with the climate so maybe its on purpose.

Comparing Australia to Germany is like comparing a Mango a to a Beer, you cannot compare them, they are too different. The names Tom btw, from Auckland, but I lived in Melbourne for the last five years. When we make a comparison between the USA and Oz there is enough similarities and differences to make a valid comparison but Germany and Australia are two different entities.

Germany and Australia are two different entities

Hence the profound preference for one over the other. :)

For Me Australia Will Always be home.

Reason Im here Is I met a girl a German Girl In Sydney...and chased her

I have been Here for a year and a half now and must admit Im finding it alot better then I ever dreamed off. I must Admit I was just for home for a few Months over December til March as I no big fan of the Winters. I guess these so called yobos mentioned would almost describe me. The Last five years I was back home I Owned 6 cars 6 motorbikes a Ute and Worked at a fooball club. I also dressed In flano and love my VB (Vicotria Bitter Beer).

The 1st few months I had a bit of culture shock and Still barley speak the Language but for me Germany has been a pretty cool adventure. Me being from the Suburbs from Sydney find that the Transport systym Road System and Bike tracks are great Making communiting a far easier task. Germans are noramlly failry nice and often go out of there way to speak English to me (like they have a choice I aint speak German). The Pub life in Munich is far greater then back home. The Idea of Having a beer in Sydney at a pub without 30 poker machines and Horse races on in the back ground is fairly rare. Here They are smaller and more friendly (Unless Im the one serving).

All In All Munich is a Cool Place inside a cool Country in side a cool European Union with a great adventure waiting. Im Still looking forward to going back home to Aus with my girl Daniela in a year or two as even a Lifetime in Europe will turn me from being a Bogan

Aussie Steve

I'd go so far to say that Germany and Australia compliment each other pretty well. What Australia doesn't have, Germany has in abundance, and the other way around.

We don't have old buildings and a massive history - Germany does. Germany doesn't have the same vibrant lifestyle that we have, in my opinion. Winters v Summers, beaches v mountains, traditional culture v multiculture etc.

And the laid-back attitude that some people find difficult to describe is simple: people are less chaotic, and although they work as hard as anyone else in the world in Australia, people here, especially in Melbourne, have many different ways to relax rather than just head to the pub or do work in the backyard. Being exceptionally friendly and not in a rushed mood all the time is my idea of being more laid back than the rest of the world (that i've seen anyway).

Housing prices are definitely rising in Australia - have a look at Perth over the last three years, for example. For buyers, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, or?

A dreary winter day in Deutschland could make you homesick to see Sydney Harbour, walking around the outskirts of Düsseldorf, looking at run down looking factories, all I could think of was Sydney Harbor and winter strolls around Darling Harbour and the Circular Quay. I am only doing this because of a hot woman I met here.

Originally moved to Germany for study reasons, then for holiday reasons (chose Germany as the quintessential country in the EU to get the full European experience), then moved back to see about getting some hard earned and to do a bit more travelling. Can;t wait to get back there again, but wouldn't live there for more than a coulpe of years at a time, because of the seriousness of the people. If i were ever to go back there, it would be for the same reasons: holiday, study or work. Haven't tried the whole 'chase a girl' thing or 'chase a dream' yet, but hey. i'm only young (though balding...)

Still, nice place. I live in Port melbourne at the moment, which is on the beach in Melbourne, while bing about a 10 minute walk of the city and close to shops/bars/etc... No reason to move, and no reason not to like it. Open shout to anyone who's in Melbourne who wants to meet for a frothy or two...

I moved to Australia from New Zealand but became an official Aussie about a year ago, I am trying to talk my German girlfriend into moving back. Anyway, according to the UN, Australia is the third best place to live on the entire planet, only Norway and Sweden are ranked higher, Germany is ranked much lower, 21. I would have to say that the quality of life for the average person is better in Australia than in Germany. Local working class Germans that I speak with don't seem happy here.

As far as Yobbos and Bogans, they are everywhere, I think the UK has a much worse problem with this than Australia, the US is also full of them, I spent a few months trekking around the American South with a Canadian, even had a gun pulled out on me by a Southern sheriff.. for sleeping in my car.

It depends on what survey you are looking at. This survey has the first Australian city in 9th place, and there are three German cities ranked before that. I would say my quality of life over here is far superior to what it would be in Australia and not only just money wise. Being able to ride a bike 10 minutes to work on bike paths compared to a 30 minute drive through traffic jams makes a big difference too.

Australians definitely have a more positive attitude to Germans, which might be why it seems that the working class here aren't happy. Wages and cost of living between the two countries for the working class is pretty equal I reckon. For technical/well qualified/educated positions, there is no doubt that Germany offers more opportunities and more money.

Traffic's an interesting one, because I've always found that inner city traffic is much worse in cities in Aus, but worse on the open autobahns in Germany.

Small thing, but interesting nonetheless...

Morning to all in Munich just stepping into the office..

Kimf...I am basing my opinions (and i should have made this clear from the onset) on Brisbane/Gold Coast people...different again to Sydney. I feel so much more "at home" in Sydney due to its cosmopolitan characteristics and similarities with Munich.

Of course, it depends on the people you hang out with, but from my personal experience, based on last four years of living in QLD, I find the majority of people i meet are unsophisticated and culturally starved. Not willing to embrace the new and most of the time, downright boring! This is all based on the many of people I have met (especially on the Gold Coast). The friends I have made are either a) originally from another country b)well travelled Australians.

For qualified positions in Engineering, Scientific Research, Management, and Finance, Germany offers much higher salaries, but then again, why go to Germany? The US offers even higher salaries in these fields, I recall the story of an Indonesian graduate of RWTH Aachen who was asked to leave Germany after 5 years but was offered a very high paid position with a company in Silicon Valley. A relative of mine who graduated from an MBA program in the US(ranked in the top 5 in the US) was offered a position in New York with a total starting compensation package of $250,000US with bonus, few German investment bankers in Frankfurt earn that much as a starting income, in fact that is unheard of in continental Europe, salaries in Finance in Britain are much higher than anywhere on the Continent. My profession, Dentistry, is far more lucrative in Australia, in fact, the average Australian Dentist in private practice earns triple what they earn in Germany. Here everything is reimbursed through the German sickness funds. Physicians in Australia also earn far more in Australia than in Germany.

I think it's because it's more difficult to get US work permits, especially long term. My Ozzie friend who went to the US ended up getting deported! So that's why she ended up in Europe instead...