To the Australians: Why are you here in Germany?

191 posts in this topic

Hutcho, is metro a supermarket chain? Don't think I've seen one in this neck of the woods if it is.

Eileen, it was insane when I left so I can't imagine what it's like now. I think in Australia the wages may generally be higher and taxes lower, but the disparity is what kills you. Median house prices in Melbourne I think are now 6 or 7 times the median income. Australia is a great place but I don't know how the average person can afford to live there comfortably. You can get by here comfortably on very little (ask me how I know!).

But I can see why Europeans fall in love with the place, I would too if I came from Europe.

I'm from the Northern Territory I lived and worked on a remote cattle station, only moved to Germany because my missus lives here and we are having a baby. So far it's awesome, I do miss home but I'll be buggered if I can find beer this cheap in Australia! 

'Living in Australia's like going to a party and dancing with your mum all night'

Can't take credit for that but it pretty much sums it up. Growing up there in the eighties it seemed like noone had any money and nobody cared. Now it's all about first world lifestyle and if you can't afford it put it on the card. Not much to recommend it beyond the beaches from where I'm standing.

Would have to agree with a lot of what has already been said. I was born in Germany but raised in Australia. I've visited Germany many times and would say Germany wins hands down when it comes to living standards. I'm from Melbourne and I actually have no idea how we win most liveable city every year. Despite the social unrest in some parts of Europe, you just can't compare the cultures. Germany / Europe is in a totally different class. I would say Australia does obviously have better weather (mainly the north) but honestly not much else. 

Kia ora

as this thread started in 2007 , I wonder if there's been any changes since then. 

My hubby and I lived in Auckland for 10 years and moved to Germany ( 45min from MUC) 3 years ago. My mum lives in Germany and his family in Brazil hence we were always traveling between these countries and once our son was born we decided to take the leap and try it in Germany to be closer to at least one family.

We bought a house and overall we like it here but what we miss most is a good group of friends, beaches and well sunshine. Most of our NZ friends moved to Oz ( Gold Coast - Tugun/ burleigh heads area ) though due to the weather. Everyone is trying to convince us that life in general is so much better. Lifestyle supposed to be laid back, most people live a sporty and health life and raising up kids there supposed to be better too. 

We've been to Sydney, Melbourne and cairns but never to GC. We are planning to go on holiday early 2018 and see it for ourselves but holiday is holiday...could anyone tell me a bit more about the real life on the sunny GC area. I know you have to pay lots for the school etc so can an average family have money to pay off mortgage , school fees , afford an overseas holiday every 2 years or so? I guess being able to go to oz ( NZ citizen) we still live with one foot in Auckland but wonder if OZ wouldn't be just a tad better to raise a family and wouldn't we be just happier there. Sorry everyone but it isn't easy to decide especially if you have little kids..:). Cheers !

Some thoughts on this subject.

Beaches and sunshine won't be a problem, finding/joining/creating a good group of friends might be. If you have been able to do it here (or elsewhere before), there's probably no reason why you wouldn't be able to do it there. It takes a lot of time and effort and luck, as you already know, right? No guarantees. Ask yourself how important that is for you.

I'm from Melbourne, have family there and have been back fairly regularly in the years since we moved back here. LIFE IN AUSTRALIA IS EXPENSIVE! A nice house in a nice suburb will cost you a lot of money. It doesn't really matter where in Australia you want to live, if you want to be in a desirable part of the country, close to schools, work, shops etc you will have to fork out big money for the privilege. Do your research! Ask you friends/contacts on the GC. Check out www.realestate.com.au for house prices to buy or rent.Then do your sums! Government schools are technically speaking free, but there are always extras, some of them compulsory. If you are cashed up, you can send the kiddies to a private school - if you have the spare dough.

How old are your kids? Are they easygoing and do they adapt easily to changes of circumstance? Ours are now teenagers and I wouldn't take them out of their world now and plonk them somewhere else without thinking about it very carefully and without very good reasons. At least the language wouldn't be a problem - one hurdle less I suppose.

Have a good look around when you are there on HOLIDAY, talk to as many people as possible, take the chance do more research! It seems like you have lots of time to consider the pros and cons. Follow your dream, but be realistic at the same time, if that's at all possible!

Good luck.

Cheers Aussiedog for your input!

for sure it ain't an easy decision and we will have to consider each and every little thing before taking another decision! 

As mentioned before the move from NZ to Germany worked out fairly well but for some reasons we don't feel home and we keep thinking about leaving, especially during the long winter months :D. I guess having a big group of friends posting beach pics all through the European winter doesn't help :). 

We are both hard working and I don't think the job hunt should be a problem but yeah you never know. We also have a large group of friends there, some with kids too, so I guess that will tick off that box as well. Our kids are little ( 3, 8 months old ) hence we are thinking about it even more. I speak English to the kids so the boy speaks it fluently. The baby will learn it too :). If we go for it then for sure before the bigger one starts school. Ideally 2018/19. 

I checked out properties too and it's true it isn't cheap! We will have to check out the suburbs once we are there and see where and what we could afford. 

Currenly we live close to MUC in a little town, so both my husband and I are commuting to Munich by train which takes us each 2 hours or a bit more per day. We need the car for everything as there aren't any shops in walking distance. Don't get me wrong,  Germany has lots of benefits and we like the small town life, our home, etc but we ask ourselves a lot if this is the life we want to lead. Somehow we will have to pinpoint it down and see all the pros and cons and what will be better for us and more importantly our kids in the future.

As for the GC area like Tugun/collongata etc would you say it's a good place to live? Kids friendly? Our friends all say the same.."living the dream, the best place to be" hmm I guess all they try to do is to convince us to go for it but yeah we won't take any lightheaded decisions. 

Thanks again !

Hi Mari36,

No worries, hope it helps.

As far as living in those areas goes, I'm afraid I can't help. It's a beautiful part of the world with many georgeous beaches and a number of excellent surf spots, that much I can tell you! Once again, I suggest you simply ask your friends who actually live there and hope that they give you reasonably honest answers and that you then get a realistic idea of what day-to-day life there is actually like.

One last tip (or reminder): like in in many countries, your quality of life in Australia depends (too much?) on how much money you have. Have no illusions - this is a fact of life there and will continue to be so I would imagine. It is not the egalitarian paradise that it was when I was growing up.

Viel Glück,

Woof Woof

Depressing to hear (some) people so negative about Australia. A few years ago, it seemed to be some sort of egalitarian utopia. Has it rally changed so much?

The cost of the Australian dollar has gone from €0.85 to around €0.63 making down under attractive again given house prices in Germany have increased over the last 10 years. Of course, there are some benefits after being caught speeding at 140 in a 110 motorway zone I wondered if fines were on sale that week? I would have been on 7 NEWS as a hoon granddad terror watching my Smart being crushed rather than holding up the Audi drivers. Being fully vaxed and boosted would mean not sharing a room with some tennis player next door smashing his balls against the wall all night. Never having to turn the heating on again for the next few years and going down the beach having it all to myself on those nice but bit hot 15 degree days.   

On 1/27/2017, 7:29:39, Aussiedog said:

I would imagine. It is not the egalitarian paradise that it was when I was growing up.

Viel Glück,

Woof Woof

Do they have chimney sweeps now in Australia? I informed mine my neighbour had died and he sat outside on one cold day to see if any smoke came from the chimney. Of course, the CFS might come round and pull your arms off instead.