To the Australians: Why are you here in Germany?

192 posts in this topic

Ive been to Australia twice and it seems like gods gift on earth. the gorgeous weather, flora and fauna, interesting wildlife, totally friendly people, great surf and sport opportunities ...

which brings me to my question.

why the hell are all you aussies in Germany!?!?

Why would anyone voluntarily leave all that behind?

I dont get it. No comprendo.

I'm not australian myself, but I think it's true that you don't appreciate what you've got until you lose it/try something different for a while. Living abroad has made me think about my home country differently. (eg. they show icehockey!!!) Maybe they want to see what's outside Australia first and then decide what the best place to live is?

I would love it if someone could point out what is better about Australia than here.

The spiders are bigger, and the snakes more poisonous :)

Another excellent point. In Australia you have to worry about shit biting you all the time. When we were back, my girlfriend sat down on the grass for a bit and got bitten by something. We have no idea what it was, but could have been an ant, spider, mosquito etc the list goes on. As a result she had a swollen knee for a week. I brought this up last night when speaking Hazza, and he says that Europe has turned me into a softy and he might be right, but I find this to be a pain in the ass.

You said she was bitten on the knee and not on the ass. Make up your mind. :P

I'd have to agree with Hutcho

If your not the croc hunter (ie not scared of things that bite), not a surfer (not into getting sand blasted and or burnt at the beach) or a bogan (hmmm well nough said). If your not into Utes (you can discuss other cars besides Falcon and Ford or even have a conversation that doesn't require an auto mechanics vocab). Or if you are not convinced that AFL is a major cultural event on the calendar. Finally if you don't want to work in the mining industry then there is not alot happening in Australia for you. (Last point might be specific to Perth)

WestAussie (not dying to get out just want to explore and see what else is out there)

We have been here 20 years (+ 5 spent in the UK).

We still call Australia home (ala Peter Allen) Australia has changed so much (and not for the better) that currently living in Germany is the better place to be. However, if you want to chose a country for its lifestyle then I don't think you could beat Australia but if you are aiming for a career in Science or high tech Engineering and don't follow sport religiously then Australia is definately NOT the place to be. Tall poppy syndrome is alive and well in Australia. Just the thought of what we would have to pay in University Fees back in Australia is one good reason for staying here. Many Germans grumble about the health system here - I still find it much better than what's available back home. The grass isn't always greener. In fact, because of the serious drought there is hardly any green grass about! Water restrictions in Victoria are having a serious effect and all those spiders and insects and fish that bite! Of course, there are a zillion things in Germany that drive us crazy but on balance, I agree with Hutcho Germany is a pretty good place to be, now if we could only get regular supplies of vegemite...

Having lived for the past three years in Melbourne and then moved to Munich I have to agree 100% with Hutcho... all so very very true. I moved to Oz from Cape Town and was bitterly disappointed - although I had been travelling to Oz regularly on business for five years prior to the move (to all the major Oz cities) - nothing prepared me for the different attitude and way of life I encountered. I found that I was resented for having work experience outside of Oz - I did find the medical system excellent and that is something here we have had to adjust to as we are not entitled to any of the German health system as we work as consultants and pay horrendously high private rates with BUPA- Having been out of the UK for so long we are no longer entitled to any of the agreements between Nat Health and EEC countries. That aside though I wouldn't go back to Melbourne... Yes the culture was good in Melbourne but its much better here in Europe. The weather was dreadful in Melbourne and we found the people unbelievably insular. Its a great country but I prefer being in the centre of Europe with its global perspective... People are much more friendly here too and far more adaptable and open to change. I confess I still get goose bumps when I hear 'I still call Australia home' since I fought long and hard to obtain my residency there and I never expected to leave - its interesting to read that there are several others who like me find Munich a great place to be and prefer it here to Oz... Okay so we don't have roos here but I left the lions behind in Africa prior to going to Oz so here I guess I shall just get used to the bears instead! ;)

very interesting and thank you for the thoughtful feedback. I have learned something. I would be very interested to also hear what Aussies living in other parts of Germany think (besides Munich). I say that because Munich is a bit like Sydney ... utopian

If Munich really was "Utopian" it wouldn't exist as nowhere is really ideal. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy living here but nowhere is perferct, every place has its faults I just happen to like it here.

To see new horizons, learn and experience new things, acquire more skills, open more doors.

As another Aussie just come back (to Hamburg, where I have lived for the past 20 years), from a visit "home" (to Melbourne, where I grew up the first 18 years of my life), I would like to completely agree with Hutcho on all points. As the (divorced) mother of a young daughter I would also like to add (despite all german complaints to the contrary), that the benefits, schemes and support for famillies here are IMMENSELY better (in monetary terms up to at least 10 times (!) better) than the assistance I would receive in OZ.

Furthermore, no one has mentioned the FLIES, whch constantly buzz around you and the fact that every door and window has to have flywire, obstructing your view! Might be a petty thing, but I really love being able to look though a clear window at trees... And under the Australian openness hides an oldworld, very prissy prudeness. Neighbours are watched and judged, class systems are alive and breathing, a lot of knowledge and belief and social expectation is still stuck in the 1940s re sex before marriage, kids out of wedlock etc (I'm exagerrating a little, but you'll find MORE of people who think like that there than here), they wear bathers in the sauna for goodness sakes and you wont find a nudist beach except in very "wacky" and "alternative" places (not that you'd want to expose any part of your skin to the sun in OZ). In Germany I can get a tan, lie in the sun and enjoy it, in Oz you'd be a fool to try (and would only get red as lobster and peel off afterwards for your efforts).

But my standard answer to this question (how rich I would be if I had an euro for each time it's been asked) is simply: "everyone has to go somewhere else".

However I miss the unbelievably huge scale, massive, overpowering coast...

And customer service.

(And I just brought my vegemite back with me).

see ya!

Koala

Ive been to Australia twice and it seems like gods gift on earth.

I have been to that penal colony, it is not god's gift to Earth, put down that joint that you are smoking. Yes the place is beautiful but the women there are skanks, I know an Australian who moved to Germany because German female are way hotter.

Australia outside of Sydney and Melbourne is full of yobbos, I wound up spending a night in jail because of one. Sydney and Melbourne are beautiful, if you get to live there, do it but other than that Oz is a shithole. That yobbo happened to be my cousin, he loves Australia, he lives near the Gold Coast and goes surfing all the time, so Germany would not appeal to him.

I´m Australian and having returned back from Aus on Saturday with my German husband after 3\1\2 weeks at home made me realise that there are of course negatives and positives in each country or city in the world and we simply can´t generlise! For me what I love about Australia is the mulit-culturism and thank goodness for this because other wise we would be eating bloody stodgy pom food like baked beans, roast dinner, meat and three veg and so on...thank goodness that Aus has embraced the Turks, Italians, Greeks. Asians etc...the variety and quality of foods is simply amazing and that is something I do miss here in Germany is the variety and options.. I also miss the ability to live in a house with a big back yard and being able to own it as an investment, where as here it´s too expensive to buy a flat, let alone a house..instead I´m stuck living in a tiny inner city apartment costing more than what I would be repaying monthly back home in Melbourne. I loved been at the supermarket and having my bags packed and been treated with respect. I love our beautiful clean beaches, rainforests..I wouldn´t give that up for anything, and I also miss my career opportunities. I love Australians and our laid back way of life, but sometimes we can be stupid and crazy but who isn´t??? I know Australia is facing a huge environmental crisis, and well that is one topic that is breaking my heart.. Driving from Melbourne into South Australia it was sooo bloody dry..I feel sorry for the cattle and sheep..they´re eating rocks and dirt..We´re in a water crisis..My mum kept yelling at me everytime I washed my hands because of the tough new water restrictions..and I don´t understand why our dum stupid Prime Minister is not doing anything to attack the situation..why he wont sign the Kyoto agreement..why do we keep kissing up to America´s ass??

What I love about Germany is the health care system and it´s close proximity to neighbouring countries, as well as the ability to learn another language...but I don´t miss been yelled at when I ask for help in shops here, I don´t miss my bread or bananas being squashed because we´re always getting pushed through the check outs.. I don´t miss being stared at for dressing differently, and I don´t get the German obession with wearing North Face Jackets, with white socks and Birkenstocks...I´m sorry but when it´s summer here there still walking around in these stupid jackets!!! I´M SORRY BUT IT´S WRONG TO SAY THAT ANY COUNTRY OR CITY IS PERFECT TO LIVE IN..DON´T GO THINKING THEY´RE NO YOBBO´S OR BOGAN´S HERE BECAUSE TRUST ME THERE ARE! :) The grass is never greener on the other side and there is no bed of roses!