Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Visiting Bayreuth for the Festspiele etc.

16 posts in this topic

I'll be in Bayreuth again for the Festspiele.

anyone else going to be in da nääähe?

t.

post-3697-1177587643.jpg
For those who don't know: the Bayreuth Festspiele is an annual month-long celebration of Wagnerian opera, held in Bayreuth (the capital city of Upper Franconia). Wagner lived in Bayreuth from 1872 until his death in 1883.

Performances take place at the Bayreuth Festspielhaus, which was designed specifically for the festival.

This year the festival will be held 25 July to 28 August.

Bayreuth Festspiele Spieleplan 2007

From Wikipedia: Bayreuth Festival

post-3697-1177587908.jpg
Another event worth checking out in Bayreuth: the Maisel's Weissbierfest, held 10 - 13 May. Maisel's Weisse, which was the first weissbier I ever tasted (it's widely available in the US) is brewed in Bayreuth.

I was actually going to try to go to this, but I have a visitor in Munich that weekend that I have to take care of. I'll be in Bayreuth next weekend, though. Not sure yet if I will make it to the Festspiele later this summer, although I'd like to go.

If I had the chance to get a ticket last October, I'd have been there with bells on. Sadly I don't. :(

Have been a fan of Wagner since college. I did manage to see Tannhaueser in Nuernberg last year, though not quite as grand as seeing anything in Bayreuth!

Hi,

We're always in Bayreuth ready to meet for a beer, just let me know if you fancy it.