Yoga schools and classes in Munich

78 posts in this topic

Hi there,

does anyone know of an English, or at least bilingual, yoga class in Munich? One that is cheap. I went to the Sivananda Yoga Centre but found it expensive.

I really need to get healthier.

Jeremy.

Related link: Yoga in Munich

I just put my gym membership on hold for the summer so I am going to try out either the WOYO place (U1, Mailingerstr) or the Yogaloft (U1, Frauenhoferstr) for a trial class. Both are at 6:45 in the evening. If anyone is interested in joining me, send me a PM.

if you want a yoga-like class that is AWESOME for toning and flexibility try pilates... i take two semi-private classes a week with michaela - who teaches in english and german combo.

Its at the Pilates Body Studio - oehlmullerstr.22, near mariahilfplatz... ubahn - frauenhoferstrasse

She also offers group classes which are a better deal pricewise and discounts to students and professional dancers... highly recommended!

Hiya,

I've done WOYO at Elixia West with Sonja teaching, she is an excellent instructor (and a qualified dentist but that has little to do with the workout). WOYO has also appeared in Shape magazine Germany so you might find info about WOYO on their website.

Katrina

FYI, I have now been to the Yogaloft two times and I really like it there. Nice atmosphere, opposite of upscale-gymlike.

The first class I went to was Medium (a little challenging for me but I did OK) and then a Basics class that was actually taught by a visiting instructor from NYC so it was in English.

If anyone sees a class they want to try & wants company, let me know. I am going to try to make it there at least 1 time a week, doesn't matter so much when.

iYoga on Maistraße (near Goetheplatz) has great Ashtanga Yoga classes which aren't TOO expensive... and one of the instructors, Elisa, is an Aussie gal who teaches in a garbled mix of English and German. On Friday evenings she also teaches an exclusive English-language class.

This thread is kinda old, but I would really like to know if there is anyone out there who teaches beginner/intermediate YOGA...but only in ENGLISH.

To get the positions right I really want to do the classes in English.

I don't mind a YOGA/PILATES mix.

I am in Bogenhausen, but would love to do a group class once a week.

I think Hillary Coley does. I haven't been to her, yet (famous words here) but spoke to her at the fourth of july thing and she seemed pretty competent.

PS - let me know ! I do need to get off my duff as well...

There is an english yoga class at IYoga Studio (Maistrasse 31) on Fridays at 5 pm.

Michael (owner) is an american and very helpful.

Tel. (0 89) 53 71 70

Hello Fellow TTers~

I'm actually starting to teach English speaking yoga classes to small groups of 5 to 6 people. I will be teaching out of my house until I feel that a larger space is needed. The benefits of teaching small groups is that I can personalize the class to the group's needs. I used to teach at YogaWorks in Santa Monica, until I moved here in March. My focus is beginner to intermediate Vinyasa Flow. Vinyasa Flow is a series of yoga postures blended together through movement and breath. Its very relaxing yet invigorating.

My background is in massage therapy and structural integration. I did yoga for 10 years before I became an instructor. I found myself encouraging my clients to take yoga to supplement the massage work they were receiving. Eventually this lead to me studying yoga because I realized my clients needs were individual and I wanted to give them a personalized practice which was specifc to their goals of optaining optimal health. My studies in yoga have included a mix of Iyengar, Ashtanga and Anasura.

In September I will be teaching in a new yoga studio that will be opening near the Vikualinmart. This will allow for me to continue to teach small private groups but also provides a larger space for more people to enjoy yoga together.

Please, send me a PM providing me with times and days that work for you, briefly describe your experience with yoga and finally, what you want to acheive through yoga.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Namaste~

Rebecca

Sabine Koettings offers yoga classes in English centrally located at [url="http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich/Giselastra

I go to the "Baby + Me" yoga class at AirYoga in the Schrannenhalle (behind Viktualienmarkt). The instructor, Sabine, is American and conducts the class in German or English depending upon the participants. She also runs a pregnancy yoga class there as well. I was told that all the staff there speak English, but I haven't tried any of the other classes.

Hi. just a note for those worried about doing yoga in german. i took a class a few years ago (elsewhere in germany) with pretty limited german and didn´t find it a problem. sure, i had to peek from time to time to see what others were doing, but the teacher would come around anyway to point out any mistakes. plus, with all the repetition of breathing, body parts, etc, it turned out to be a good way to improve my german and learn some new words as well. just food for thought.

I was stopped on the street yesterday by an occupational therapist/yoga instructor. She is interested in teaching English Yoga to children. The woman is named Steffi and is German but speaks English. We chatted for a bit and she asked me to visit their facility to see where she would have the class. The location is very close to the U3/6 ubahn stop at [url="http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Implerstra

Ishta Yoga with Sabine Koetting (certified Yoga Alliance teacher from NY) offers English speaking yoga classes in Schwabing, centrally located at Giselastrasse (U3/U6). Classes are small (max 9 students), which allows for individual attention. Check out www.ishta-yoga.de for details.