Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aldi in Nuremberg to open on Sundays

21 posts in this topic

What's next? Nice cashiers?

Don't hold your breath! :D

It's the start of the end for Germany. People will be forced to work sundays, shoppers will be forced to shop on sundays, people will have no time for their families and society as we know it will crumble. Oh, and the sky will fall too.

About bloody time...it's beyond rediculous the laws which don't allow sunday opening for certain businesses whilst allowing others to trade freely.

as much as I am glad I weill be able to buy things on a Sunday, I must say that it is nice that people have Saturday evenings and sundays off here. In the US, where everything is always open and employers love to hire people part-time, a lot of people end up working 7 days a week. That can get old really fast.

Yeah it can get old for people who are working on Sundays but for work slaves like me shopping on Sundays is like a dream come true. I won't have to rush and can shop peacefully. Woohoo! :)

I must say that it is nice that people have Saturday evenings and sundays off here.

Yes, but probably the people who would work on Saturday evenings and Sundays are not working on other days of the week so, it's all relative. What about people who work in bars and restuarants or at the airport - do you think they really work 7 days a week? Of course not.

Lots of students want to work on the weekends because they are busy studying or mothers who want to get out of the house and away from their kids (where they have probably been the whole week) and do something for themselves.

So, before you throw pity on all these people who 'have to work Sat nights and Sundays' - think again.

What's next? Nice cashiers?

How "nice" do you want your cashiers? The cashiers in pretty well all my local supermarkets greet each person

with a cheery "Hallo" (even if it might be a bit forced - probably theres been some training up North).

When a cashier in USA asks me "how are you today" they dont want to know whether I've got a cold or headache or

am stressed through work... & I dont want to spend the time of day with them either...

Lets face it - cashier isnt the best job around and you are not going to get the intelligencia there (except

the school kids maning (girling?) the tills on Friday evenings and Saturdays).

Are you sure they'll really be opening every Sunday? It's still illegal, as far as I know... :unsure:

The law changed back in December. It's up to the local governments. Now a business can open late/Sunday as long as they get permission first.

The law changed back in December. It's up to the local governments. Now a business can open late/Sunday as long as they get permission first.

Don't think so. AFAIK, the Bavarian Landtag has decided that Sunday opening is a no-can-do in all of Bavaria, except for a few Sundays per year which can be decided by the municipalities. And Monday-Saturday is still limited to 8 pm in all of Bavaria.

http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/kvr/gewerbu...4372/index.html

Incidently I was in Hamburg last week which has more liberalised laws than Bavaria.

I saw ONE chain supermarket that was open till 10PM.

The big city centre chain stores were closing at 1800 except a couple of days a week where they were open till 2000, what you get six days a week in Central Munich!

About bloody time...it's beyond rediculous the laws which don't allow sunday opening for certain businesses whilst allowing others to trade freely.

Wow, think of that? Culture is different in different countries. Don't like it, then you are free to move. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Thank God, Civilization may arrive in Germany at last.

I have never been to an Aldi. I rarely go to grocery stores but if they " crack the ice" and open on Sunday I will go check them out.

Once one store begins and other stores see how much they are raking in from people shopping to relieve the pure boredom of Sundays in Germany... others will follow.

Cant wait for Cartier to open ... I need some new summer Jewelry.

Cant wait for Cartier to open ... I need some new summer Jewelry.

it IS open...6 days a week in fact.

I rarely go to grocery stores but if they " crack the ice" and open on Sunday I will go check them out.

What do you eat? Small children?

Oddly enough, according to my Mum at least, Aldi in Britain don't open Sundays and always close on public holidays. Can anyone else confirm or deny this.

@Londine: What a dull life you must lead if the only way you can relieve boredom is by going shopping.