Airlines used by pet owners flying to Germany

106 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just looking for some general feedback here. If you flew over to Germany with your pet, what airline did you use and how was your experience? I've read through the many posts regarding pet relocation, but haven't seen much detail in regard to specific airlines (aside from Lufthansa). My cat's paperwork is all in order, and I'm trying not to have to fly her in the cargo hold.

Thanks in advance!

both times I was on United/Lufthansa.

I flew my bike over on Delta (i know it's not a pet, but my bike survived no prob on Delta). I think Delta was cheaper even for pets.

I was fine with United/Lufthansa for my dog. One way he flew cargo (diff plane than me and super more expensive) the other 3 times he was on the same plane in the cargo hold.

What specifics do yu want? It's a cat; you shouldn't have to put her in a cargo hold. I just pity all passengers around you if the thing starts moaning and meowing the entire flight.

Why not contact the airline you're planning on flying and ask about the specifics for a cat? Normally it'd be allowed in the cabin with you (under the seat in front of you).

I've used United/Lufthansa as well. US Airways used to disallow pets in cabin, so be sure and check who is actually running the United flight. Delta/Air France, etc, allow in cabin as well.

Recently, some of them have lowered their in cabin weight limits to 4 kilos (absurd - my 2 kilo chihuahua barely makes it with his bag) - definitely call and check before you book. You'll need to call in anyway after you book to be sure and add a pet in cabin reservation to your seat reservation. Lufthansa has gotten snippy with me in the past for "forgetting".

I can probably count on one hand the number of times anyone has checked my pup's papers, and I travel with him constantly.

Good luck!

We have only used United/Lufthansa and had the dog with us in the cabin. The LH folks have always been knowledgeable, super nice and very accommodating. The UA folks needed to be reminded of their policies, were incredibly rude and gave us a hassle every time. We only fly LH now because the UA people were such a pain in the ass.

When a good friend of mine flew back to the States in December with her dog (a golden retriever) and her cat (a Persian), both had to fly in the cargo hold (on Lufthansa). The agent who was handling the whol thing too one look at the cat and said 'she is definitely not going in the cabin' - maybe because she is long-haired and people have allergies?

I flew my 13 year old dog over on Air Canada/Lufthansa a few years ago. He was in the cargo hold, and made out just fine. I was terrified. But if he did ok, I'm sure your cat will too.

I flew from the UK with lufthansa with both my cats and they were in the cabin with us and we was allowed to go open to cage to see if they were ok mid flight they were fantastic.

Last year my 12 year old sister flew alone from Miami to Berlin with her Golden Retriever on LTU. No problems at all. He was put in the cargo hold and arrived safe and sound in Berlin. LTU staff were very accommodating and helpful.

I currently have a flight booked with Scandanavian airlines for me and my cat. They have a higer weight limit 8kg/18lbs with carrying her in the cabin. It is only $105 for her as axcess baggage. I can't give a review on the flight till next month. I did notice they had the highest weight allowance for the pet to be carried on of all the airlines. I checked lufthansa/United/Air France/KLM. Do not whateoever go through London! British Airways had way too many complications because of Britain not having rabies.

My cat is coming over next month with my sister on United. My sister has been dealing with them re: all the arrangements and said they've been super-helpful on the phone. They've told her the cat can be carried on and I think the extra charge is about $100. United has some info online about their pet policies here.

Does anyone have any expereince with Aeroflot Russian airlines? I am coming from Seoul with my dog. I can either fly with Lufthansa direct or Aeroflot via Moscow.

My dog is 5kg and both airlines allow 8kg in cabin but lufthansa have a smaller carrier requirement of 20cm Height. whereas Aeroflot allow any measurements within 115cm (L+H+W).

I am travelling in August where temperatures in Korea are 28-30 degrees and although Lufthansa have no heat restrictions for pets in the cargo hold I think its safer to take him in the cabin. I just cant find any carriers that are 20cm H or lower for lufthansa. I called and they said that the bag must be that size or they dont allow it. I have heard that other people say as long as the soft bag is squashable to 20cm then its no problem and after take off you can just take the bag out from under the seat to allow it back to its reqular height.

Please help me out here.

The flight from Seoul, Korea is 12hours so I need my dog to be confortable.

I have taken my dog on Lufthansa and it was my favorite for our dog! We were in a row of four seats and the flight attendants actually moved the two other people out of our row in order for the dog to have his own seat! They let us take him out of the carrier and everything. He just chilled on the seat in between us throughout the flight. I don't know if these were just super nice, dog-loving flight attendants or if this is normal on a Lufthansa flight. Either way, it was the best experience our dog has had flying and he has flown quite a bit.

We were in a row of four seats and the flight attendants actually moved the two other people out of our row in order for the dog to have his own seat!

I can confirm from personal experience that Lufthansa do in fact rate their K9 passengers higher than human paying passengers. They get priority seating, and priority treatment when it comes to mealtimes and refreshments.

I would like to point out that they did ask the other couple (who was, as it turns out, more than happy to do it) if they minded switching to a two-seater row by the window. Hope I didn't make it seem like the flight attendants were rude or pushy with the other customers.

In my 8 years of traveling with my dog, I have never had anyone actually check the size of the bag when I was checking in - they only ask when I was making the reservation (when I of course tell them it fits their requirements). I do have a squishy bag though, and my dog is only about 2.5 kilo (soaking wet) and about 4 kilos with the bag (which they do always weigh at check in). You can definitely take it out from under the seat after take off and before landing. Oh, and if you fly business or better internationally, there is no under the seat in front of you, so they definitely don't care then. Personally, I'd go with Lufty.