Apple Mac parts and repairs

4 posts in this topic

Just wondered whether there are any shops in or around the city that have repair services for Macs. I have an iBook G4 (not sure of the precise model number without checking) and I think the HDD is on the way out. Does anyone know of any shops or even online services that offer a HDD replacement service? To make things more difficult, the OS is in Japanese as I bought it in Japan and actually need to use it in Japanese (for work). Ideally, I'm looking to have the HDD replaced with a new one and all the existing data tranferred across. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just wondered whether there are any shops in or around the city that have repair services for Macs. I have an iBook G4 (not sure of the precise model number without checking) and I think the HDD is on the way out. Does anyone know of any shops or even online services that offer a HDD replacement service? To make things more difficult, the OS is in Japanese as I bought it in Japan and actually need to use it in Japanese (for work). Ideally, I'm looking to have the HDD replaced with a new one and all the existing data tranferred across. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If worse comes to worse, you can temporarily change the OS X default language to German or English, then change it back to Japanese when you get it back. System Preferences -> International -> Language is where you set the default language for multilingual applications such as the Finder (file manager).

Be sure to tell the shop to clone your old drive ("die Daten inklusive Systemdaten klonen"), that is, make a 1:1 copy of all data including all system data and software.

As for shops in Frankfurt, Gravis is a nationwide chain. Unfortunately IME the quality of service at Gravis locations varies hugely, and being a national chain, they may be a touch impersonal...just a thought. If you go to Apple's website and search for Apple service partners (under "Händler finden", type in your postal code, then look for "Autorisierter Service Provider" in the results list).

HTH

Cheers,

Fairfax71