Translators' meetup · next: June 2019?

21 posts in this topic

Can't believe a whole month has gone by - wheredigo?

If any translators – pro, part-time or aspiring – feel like casting off the fetters binding them to their desks and emerging blinking into the real world, you’re welcome to join us at our meetups.

Dates and days are irregular but we try to meet once a month, usually somewhere relaxed with nice food and drink. We have our favourite locations but are always open to new suggestions about where to meet.

Subjects discussed are usually wide-ranging, as befits the enormous scope of stuff we translate; or sometimes we just get drunk and moan about clients. Come one, come all. Roll up, roll up.

This is also open to translators who don't have fetters, agoraphobia or workaholism, by the way. If you exist.

Click the "Follow this" button top right to receive updates via email.

See also discussion archive of previous translators' meetups.

Film subtitle translators bemoan the industry's dismissive attitude to their work

Makes sense - as anyone will know who's ever been expected to deliver an overnight translation of an in-depth article, over which the author has spent days or weeks...

Bumping this up again, also to ask whether anyone has any preferences as to date:

1. crusoe May 2,7,8

2. Gen May 2,7,8

3. sysg May 2, 7, 8

4. rappy May 2, 7, 8

If we take Thursday 2nd we could meet at Keko, the Turkish place by the Auer Dult (which runs from Saturday April 27th to Sunday 5th May). 

Hello, 

Happy to join you on any of the dates!

1. crusoe May 2,7,8

2. Gen May 2,7,8

3. sysg May 2, 7, 8

4. rappy May 2, 7, 8

5. lygeia May 2, 7, 8

>>>If we take Thursday 2nd we could meet at Keko, the Turkish place by the Auer Dult (which runs from Saturday April 27th to Sunday 5th May). 

Sounds good to me!

Well, since everyone can make every date, we may as well nail this one down to Thursday 2nd. 7.30, at Keko, Mariahilfstrasse 24. Visit to the Dult beforehand optional, but highly recommended.

Would it be all right if I arrived closer to 8 p.m.? I will be a 10-min walk away from that amazing-looking restaurant, and I have wanted to finally come to another of your meetups since last summer! Would be wonderful to see you and be able to chat; such luck that I will actually already be close to where you will meet.

Also: Whoever is willing to actually talk about the business of translating, please make yourselves known... I'm really interested in chatting about it.

Thanks!

Yes, absolutely - great that you can make it!

And we often do talk about the business of translating, as well as all the other stuff...

1. crusoe 

2. Gen 

3. sysg

4. rappy 

5. lygeia 

6. Haubigut

19 hours ago, crusoe said:

Lovely :)

Oh, and sysg, here's an article for you (did I remember you said you were a gamer?) about the finer points of localising audio for games - here, Judgment.

That's an interesting read! Thanks for remembering that I game haha I wouldn't call myself a gamer though casual gaming at most ;) . But the game I was sinking my hours in recently is actually a Japanese game (Zelda Breath of the Wild) and it contains many proses and song lyrics, generally very stylized writing, and I did wondered about the localization process. 

19 hours ago, crusoe said:

Film subtitle translators bemoan the industry's dismissive attitude to their work

Makes sense - as anyone will know who's ever been expected to deliver an overnight translation of an in-depth article, over which the author has spent days or weeks...

This is also a really good footnote to film subtitle translation work, I led a small group of freelancers on a project for a streaming site not long ago, we've tried very hard to implement an effective QA workflow in there to a level that I feel comfortable presenting the result but I feel like that's not what's deemed important by the site in the end. 

happy to meet up next Thursday!

Great link, Gen, thanks! Looking forward to seeing you all again - and sysg, hearing more about your streaming project and QA issues. If I manage it I'll be at the Hollersekt bar at the Dult for a crafty one beforehand.

I had a feeling this would happen (don't you just love and/or hate prescience?!): I won't be able to make it tonight. I *really* want to meet up with you all, though, so let me know if any of you would be game for coming up north to Dachau for a meetup sometime on a weekend in the next few weeks. I know lots of great places to meet, eat, and chat up here!

Sorry to not see you tonight. Have a great time!

S.

Aww, sorry about that, Haubigut - I know it's not so easy for you to get into town. Love the idea of an expert guide to Dachau, although the next few weekends are already jammed - but verschoben ist nicht aufgehoben! Thanks for letting us know, anyway, and hope your evening goes well.

Notes from last night:

The upside of quitting:

Michael Glas Immobilien: http://www.michael-glas-immobilien.de/ may have space in Berg am Laim

https://copenhagenbags.com/collections/bikezac is much cheaper, hmmmm

Adam Grant WorkLife podcast: the cost of working with assholes -- https://www.ted.com/talks/worklife_with_adam_grant_the_a_hole_free_office 
and also

Facebook groups for stuff: Verschenkt's, München verschenkt -- https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=München%20verschenkt there seem to be several versions.

Dampfnudel at the Auer Dult are highly recommended

New York Times Netanjahu Cartoon -- I forgot to mention that Netanyahu is a dog because he's a service dog leading the blind Trump!  https://www.timesofisrael.com/new-york-times-to-discipline-editor-who-gave-ok-to-anti-semitic-cartoon/ there you can see it and  I think the NYT needs to learn to discriminate between antisemitism and anti-Israel... 

Rough Translation on le negre for ghostwriter in French: https://www.npr.org/2019/04/30/718729150/we-dont-say-that 

Boy, you're fast! Thanks for the Swiss spaghetti farmers - I missed that (Keko has nice food but is super-loud). Thanks to everyone for coming, including our newest recruit (? member? victim? draftee? fledgeling? convert?), and MANY thanks to Gen for taking notes at lightning speed without a pen or notebook in sight. (Luddite, moi?)

Dampfnudeln at the Dult: Schiebls Kaffeehaferl, with an interior that hasn't changed since the 1970s. In the row of the Dult that runs parallel to Gebsattelstrasse (big beer garden at the far end, pony rides at the other). Dampfnudeln as large as a small pillow, but light and fluffy. Mei, san die guat.

For the next meetup, maybe the week before Whit (4th to 7th June)? Or after Whit, 11th to 14th.

Darn! Why didn’t TT notify me about your meetup? :-( So sorry that I missed everyone :-(

i was just going to post a suggestion that we meet up when I saw that you just did...

I’ll be gone most of June, but maybe can make it after all.

Greetings to all!

I can currently make any of those June dates.

I'm working on solving the notification issue.  I haven't gotten any for ages myself.  Anybody else ever miss a notification?

Thanks a lot Gen for the notes!

The standup comedy show I mentioned was

Anthony Jeselnik: Fire at the Maternity Ward https://www.netflix.com/watch/80227677 

The humor's on the offensive side so might not be for everyone :P

I'll be out of town for a while starting from this weekend, not sure if I can make it to the next meetup, but I'll update the group once I'm back. Cheers!

Hi everyone, I haven‘t been getting notifications in ages either as I think I mentioned a few times at the meetups. The only way I got to know about the meetups  lately is by checking here now and then. Thanks Gen for the FB group idea. I don‘t regularly go on FB but I guess that could be a solution for many of us. As for June I can do any of the suggested dates at the moment except Tuesdays. Have a nice week-end!