Meanings of automated cell phone messages

31 posts in this topic

I keep trying to call a cellphone number which says 'caller temporarily not available please try later' but i have tried for several days and no luck. Is the number still in service? I mean..if it was out of service would there be a different automated message?

If someone does not have voicemail activated and the person has no signal or has the phone turned off, I think that is the message you would get.

You would get a different message if that number no longer existed. However, there can be a lag time before that happens as they give the customer a chance to re-sign up.

Send an SMS with reply notification, and maximum (2 days) validity.

Then if the phone logs into any network, your SMS will be delivered, and you'll get the delivered notification. Then you know you can call them. If the phone is not switched on over the 2 days, you'll get a failed notification.

If the customer was still a valid user, but not currently logged in, and has no diversions, you'd get a message such as:

EN: "The person you are calling is not available to take your call, please try again later"

DE: "Ihere gewünschte ansprech Partner antwortet nicht, bitte rufen Sie später noch einmal"

Of course, nowadays you are more likely to get some message saying "The person you are calling will receive an SMS to let them know you've called" in this case.

If the number is not allocated, you'd get a message such as:

EN: "The number your have dialled is not available, please contact directory enquiries"

DE "Keine verbindung unter diese Nummer, bitte rufen Sie Ihr Auskunft 118xx an"

Obviously messages are network dependant, but the same intents are there.

"Der gewünschte Gesprächpartner ist zur Zeit nicht erreichbar."

Hi there, I know what this means in English (the number you have dialled is temporarily unavailable), my question is what does it signify? Normally if someone has the telephone off I get through to the mailbox. But for the last few hours I have been only getting this message.

Topics merged by admin

BUt I normally get the mailbox when the phone is switche off. Can the network tell the difference between switched off and no connection?

Maybe your person has deactivated the mailbox just recently. Many people do it when they leave the country because receiving calls to your mailbox while outside Germany can get very expensive.

I think my wife probably wouldn't know how to do that. She's in America at the mo and we set a time to talk today and I can't reach her since then.

Normally if someone has the telephone off I get through to the mailbox.

Not necessarily, maybe the mailbox function is not activated - as already mentioned above, I see now.

I think my wife probably wouldn't know how to do that. She's in America at the mo and we set a time to talk today and I can't reach her since then.

Well, if it is your wife, I don't think she would just terminate her phone contract without letting you know. Maybe she just doesn't have any coverage! Many places in the US only have poor coverage, especially once you leave the cities. Is there any other way for you to call her? Call the hotel she is staying at or the people she is staying with?

If it is a prepay contract you might not have enough money on the account to pay for the transfer back to the mailbox...

OK, so I managed to raise her through the hotel thanks for the suggestion (wasn't thinking straight). It turns out O2 has locked her account for some reason, obviously we have been telephoning too much. Any idea what the limit is? It's a contract phone btw and not a card phone. I hope it's €100 and not €1000!

Ouch! Good thing they locked it, else you'd have a horrendous bill at the end of the month (well not that it isn't already kind of horrendous now). Roaming fees can be a bitch, try calling cards. And make sure to disable the voice mail before leaving the country. If it is on, you will even pay if the voicemail picks up!