Climbing at the Thalkirchen center

96 posts in this topic

Anyone interested in going climbing at Thalkirchen tomorrow evening? I plan to be there from 5:30 - 9ish

Just ask to join people who are going, and who are (hopefully) knowledgeable. I plan to go this Wednesday with a friend who's relatively new to the game, you're welcome to join us then.

hello, I don't know about any club (I am in munich only for a few months). You can take lessons in Thalkirchen but I think it's quite expensive. The best thing to do probably is to try to find a partner in this forum (not always easy especially during the summer). I am a quite heavy baby of 1m90 and 85Kg so if you're a beginner it's may be not the best choice :-)

What you can try also is to go for bouldering. It's climbing on a 3 to 5m wall with mattress for reception. It's quite nice for beginner if someone explain you. Just have a look at the topic on boulderwelt. I may go tomorrow (around 5) if you wish to try but I think there is also a group going every tuesday (I've been once but I am travelling often on tuesdays).

Hi Chillychile!

I would really, really recommend that you start with taking a course, so that you learn how to tie yourself in and belay another climber - for your safety and the safety of your climbing partner! It is also a good way to meet other climbers that are on the same level, that you can go roping with after the course! :)

The DAV (Deutsche Alpenverein) offers courses. http://www.alpenverein-muenchen-oberland.de/uploads/dav/images/iskpn41d0nAC4GvswP60Vg/18_hallenklettern.pdf

All the best - and have fun!

You're right Helene, I forgot about the DAV training course. It could be interesting to start with 1 or 2 lessons to learn basics.

Hi all,

I've just moved to Munich and I'm stuck here for a while.

I'm interested in getting back into climbing again after a long break. I do bouldering and sport climbing as well as a little bit of mountaineering. I prefer climbing outdoors but I'm keen to check out climbing gyms around town as well. I'm also intrigued by via ferrata, which I haven't done before.

Perhaps one of these days I will see you all at either Thalkirchen or Boulderwelt.

Hi everyone,

I am looking to go climbing regularly at Thalkirchen with a group. I am a girl, from Canada, and can do a pretty decent 6, though its been a few months since the last time I went climbing regularly. Looking forward to hearing from you!

J

Hi does this group still meet?

Would love to give it a go and have someone to show me the...erm...ropes?

Paul

Hi,

I'm looking to start climbing again now I am settled into munich. I'm just a beginner, and was hoping to find a club or group that go regularly.

I realise this thread is for thalkirchen but I live in Johanneskirchen, so its not the best location for me is there anythng out that way?

rgds

Ben

Hi!

I googled and found High-East Kletterhalle in Heimstetten on the S2. It's 10km away from Johanneskirchen, which I suppose is ok if you have a car or want to add cardio to your workout. Anyways, never been there myself so can't give you any recommendation. Could be worth a try, though.

http://www.high-east.de/index.php?page=anfahrt

/Helene

Hi all,

I'm new to Munich and looking for a climbing partner. I'm hoping to go twice a week or so during happy hour. Will head to Thalkirchen on Tuesday but the yahoo group looks a little dead -- anyone out there? Send a message if interested!

~ Jenny

Hey, can someone answer a questions or 2.im a begging and would love to start climbing, how much does it cost and how should i go about starting? would rather climb mountain, which i do from time to time, but would love to learn proper.

thanks heaps steve

Hey, can someone answer a question or 2. im a beginner and would love to start climbing.

how much does it cost and how should i go about starting? Would rather climb mountains and anything outdoor but indoor is fine of course. would love to learn proper.

thanks heaps Steve

Hi Steve,

There are some great places in town if you want to do some technical climbing. The DAV center in Thalkirchen is great for roped climbing and Boulderwelt in Haidhausen has superb... bouldering.

One time entry is €15 at DAV, €10 at Bw. The membership options are a bit cheaper.

Joining one of their classes is probably a great way to go if you're just starting out. The DAV gym would be your bet if you need to learn to belay etc.

The local culture is to bring your own rope and lead everything - you'll hardly ever see a toprope. There are no belay tests either, at least not at the DAV.

Cheers,

Stefan

Hi guys, I have just moved to Munich and would like to join you in Climbing at Talkirchen center, It's very close to my place. Please let me know when are you generally climbing :) I would be happy to join you

Hello,

I did some bouldering and abseiling when I was younger and really want to get into it again!

Let me know when/if you guys go to the centre :)

Laura