How to learn German if you work silly hours

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

I'm new to Germany and in a pickle so thought I'd canvas you worldy types in the hope of gaining some answers.

I need to learn German because I can't speak any. My problem is that I work from 8.30-20.30 every weekday except Wednesday, when it's more like 8.30-23.00. It gets worse in that sometimes I work 16 hours a day for the whole week, making me a very erratic person outside of work. Evening courses seem suited to normal people who finish work at 5, as the latest seems to start at 7.

Only option is a private tutor I think. Does anyone know of someone who'd be able to teach basic stuff? I'm not looking for perfection, just to be able to communicate in a simple way.

I'd be grateful for any replies!

Cheers,

Caddywaddy

My first question would be what do you do? I mean if it is a large international company, perhaps you could talk them into looking at an individual tutor for you. You could even do it yourself, but it will not be cheap.

the hours you work - well, either you'll be rich in no time and can then force people to communicate with you in the language of your choice wherever you choose to retire, or you need to look for a new job. actually, look for a new job - the waiting game never pays (I only do this for now, like for 20 years, after that my life will totally take off. as if)

get a job that frees you to have language lessons or even a (social?) life ;)

On the flip side form Richard... & dimmer, go to your local university & put up a notice asking a student to tutor you. It could be in exchange for either money or in a trade for you're English skills, either way you'll be flooded with offers & they won't mind when they do it!

I mean if it is a large international company...

Highly unlikely; no company in Germany is legally entitled to allow anyone to work those kind of hours...so whatever he does, he's presumably either self-employed or engaged in some illegal work..

Assuming you don't need German for your job, why bother learning if you are always at work anyway?

I know people who have a private tutor come to their office for an hour once or twice a week. Bit like having a meeting. It also means you can still put in those long hours :wacko:

Try these folks, WWW.MYPLT.COM. (My personal language tutor). They are an internet based private language tutor company based in California utilizing SKYPE. They tailor sessions according to your time schedule and frequency. The company hooks you up with someone who is a native language speaker of the language you are trying learn and can also speak your mother tongue. You can determine the method/content of the lesson. I hooked up with this company to improve my french. I did not want a 'traditional' type course, more of a conversational/correct my crappy grammar kind of sessions and that's what I got. I've even used the sessions for assistance in translating documents. The costs are reasonable, $20/hr (15€/hr) and you can test out the first session for free.

Hello Everyone,

it seems to be more and more common that people work "silly hours" as you call it. And because of this we, MODOLINGO International Language Center, adapted our teaching hours and shedules, too. We offer Language Training also on Sundays and also after 8 pm. Or, you have the option to have just a 60 minutes class (maybe twice a week) during your lunch break and/or over coffee. In this case a trainer would come to your company directly (Munich area).

If you would like to find out more about the options you have to learn German or any other living language when you don't have time, please feel free to contact us:

MODOLINGO International Language Center

Tal 10, 80331 Munich (right in the City Center, next to Marienplatz)

Tel.: (089) 2101982-0, Fax: (089) 2101982-10

info@modolingo.de, www.modolingo.de

Our friendly English speaking staff are looking forward to hearing from you and consulting you regarding your language training.

Your MODOLINGO Team Munich

I have the same problem although I start slightly later in the morning. I work with the US a lot so I often have conference calls till 7pm or later. How I solved it was by having private lessons at home at 7.30 in the morning. This means I'm not fried after a day's work and I can actually learn something, plus I can "optimise" my bed-to-desk time (now down to 15 mins :) !) . It's also a nice feeling to turn up at work with your brain already working so I can only recommend it. My teacher may be prepared to start even earlier- say 7am or something. PM if you want her details.

I know this is going to sound crazy but I have been using a subliminal learn German CD each night when I go to sleep (check google for excel-lerate german CD) and my god it works German lessons that I am taking from a few different sources are starting to stick. I've only been using it for about 5 days but my comprehension has gone up % 100 they recommend using it for 30 days and at this rate I should be good to go to Germany. I know it's working because I'm starting to have inner dialogs in german. I mentioned to my friend that I was pleased and then das Freut mich popped into my head . I was in a coma for 8 months and I still have days where I forget how to tie my shoes but now I can remember how to Carry on simple conversations in German that I couldn't a week ago.. lm impressed!! And for me that's unusual. Oh found the name of the CD I bought the 2 CD set from www.potentialsunlimited.com I am not one to support anything not by Wolfsheim... But this is really good I reccomend German without the fuss workbook to go along with it as it includes a CD of true to life conversations

Hi,

I know this thread is really old, but my answer might help others, so here it is: 

I would strongly recommend the comprehensive German video course on http://www.germantogo.com - of course, I am the creator :) But I really do believe it is the best way to learn German by yourself, or if you have no time to attend conventional classes.

I have been a German tutor since 2004 and spent the last year making videos of all the materials I have created myself over the years - the exact same materials I am using with my one-on-one students. The course I put together is helping them achieve fluency in a very short time, and the video version works as well. After completing just 50 lessons (about 220 videos, 27 hours of content), you will be able to pass level A1, 50 more for A2 and then 50 more for B1.

It works, because it’s not just a grammar course, we also do many exercises together through interactive videos which require you to actually speak, and you will hear the right answer after the pause. You will train your listening comprehension and pronunciation automatically. Also, there are great downloadable pdf and audio files, so you can learn wherever you want. I appear in every video and I am always available to answer your questions, it’s almost like having a real tutor, just with the benefit that you can always replay videos on topics you want to review.

Looking for materials here and there on the internet takes a long time, but with German to go you will have a complete, effective, and most importantly really well structured course. Each lesson builds on the previous lessons, I will introduce new vocabulary and raise the level of difficulty step by step, there is a lot of spaced repetition so that you get a chance to apply what you you have learned, over and over again. The only thing you might need in addition is a conversational class once every now and then.

If you are sceptical, just try it out. There are a lot of free preview videos which show you how it works. :)

All the best, viele Grüße,

Juliane, from germantogo.com

On 4/1/2007, 10:25:43, ruapehu said:

Highly unlikely; no company in Germany is legally entitled to allow anyone to work those kind of hours...so whatever he does, he's presumably either self-employed or engaged in some illegal work..

Oh wow. Assume much?

He may be working two jobs. And I can tell there are many companies that will let you work more hours. Hell I work sometimes 60 hours a week or more. To assume "illegal" and to actually put it in the same sentence with "self-employed". As if being self-employed is somehow a second class occupation, like borderline illegal. I'm shocked.

30 minutes ago, SStefano said:

Oh wow. Assume much?

He may be working two jobs. And I can tell there are many companies that will let you work more hours. Hell I work sometimes 60 hours a week or more. To assume "illegal" and to actually put it in the same sentence with "self-employed". As if being self-employed is somehow a second class occupation, like borderline illegal. I'm shocked.

I agree with you but to be fair he said that 10 years ago. Maybe his opinion has changed ;)

German law states that employees are not allowed to work more than 10 hrs a day.

Lots of stuff happens if you overstep this ...

eg you are not insured on the way home if driving.

My employer *has* to pay for my taxi home (or a hotel) to get me safely through to the next working day.

That has to be at least an 11 hr. break !

Then there is also a limit to the max hrs worked in a week (but this is watered down to "on average" )

Max hrs per week is currently 48 (in 2017)

The reference to self employed - this is where a lot of the labour laws do not apply.

A self employed person can work longer without breaking the law.

But if you have a car crash on the way home after a 12 hr shift, you'll hit problems.

Labour laws

The o.p. was probably working for a security company that operates at one of the airport hotels.  My son had the same working hours and the answer was if you don't like it, get out.  The scum take advantage of people, who want to work and not depend on the state.