New and expectant parents in Frankfurt

6 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow Frankfurters,

This may be the first of many posts as I have a lot of questions and/ or issues...depending on how you look at it. :huh:

But, I have been living in Frankfurt since August 2006. Moved here to be with my now-husband and I have barely gotten adjusted to life here, but, as the title of my post indicates, we are expecting a baby. It is a happy surprise, but, now I have a lot more to think about besides just getting adjusted, finding new friends, etc. The baby is due at the end of July. I have a good doctor but, in researching, I have learned that your doctor (unless you see one at your chosen hospital) does not have anything to do with the delivery of your baby. Has anyone had the experience of having a baby here in Frankfurt or Germany, in general?? I speak only a little broken German which is also a concern for me. Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated. I am not at the panic stage yet, but it's kind of a scary thought to consider having a baby and not being able to understand what is happening during the process. :blink:

Also, it would be great to meet people here that are English-speaking with babies (actually, without babies is good, too). I freelance on a part-time basis and thought that would help in meeting people, but, most of the people are young (okay, I am relatively *young* myself). But, I get passed-over for the happy hours and get-togethers after work I think because I am "the pregnant lady". This is kind of bumming me out because I have always had a lot of friends and a busy social life (and I enjoyed my Guinness and my white wine with friends) but, I feel like a little bit of a social leper with this pregnant belly. But unfortunately, I can no longer hide the thing.

So, this is my plea. Okay, I am having one of those days today and, of course it could be the hormones, too. But, if anyone has any knowledge on the subject of having babies here in Frankfurt, or just wants to be a pregnant lady's friend, I would LOVE to hear from you. :)

Thanks to all,

Tina

Hi Tina!

Do you have a "Hebamme" (midwife)? They would normally always be there at the birth. Not sure re which doctor. I've never had a baby so not sure about any of that...does your doctor speak English? Maybe you can discuss with him/her, they should know best I guess. I'm not in Frankfurt until July, but would be very happy to be a then-no-longer-pregnant-lady-but-a-mother's friend! :D

Hi Tina,

Why don't you come out to one of the curry nights and meet some of the fellow TTers on here? We don't bite, it's a nice crowd down here.

I know a gynecologist who also delivers babies and he speaks English. I know quite a few expats who go to him. I don't know maybe you want to go check him out ? If you want his contact details pm me.

Hi Tina

Not sure on the baby front as I had mine in the UK but I know lots of mums who will there is also a English speaking baby group you can go to aswell, if you are interested for more info give me a shout and I will put you in touch with the relevant people. I only go to the groups accasionally because my boys are now in kindergarten.

Sarah

Likewise, myself and lovely wife, Alicia, can recommend a great midwife we used for our first child, and are using for our soon to arrive second child, not to mention a good English-speaking gynecologist.

Hi Tina, I've just moved to Frankfurt and have 2 year old, so the experience of having a baby is still relatively fresh in my mind as I enjoyed my pregnancy. Would love to get to know you. Chat soon.