Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Germany to lead the way in cervical cancer vaccine

55 posts in this topic

Maybe doing a search for

Japan Withdraws Support HPV Vaccine

can give you some alternative sites?

My daughter is 9 ... she is thank heavens healthy.

I would like to reduce the chances of her getting the strains that appear to be with the vaccine preventable.

What are the cons to HPV vaccination in Germany for girls her age? Other than the temporary pain.

I am not sure why a parent of a generally healthy child would not want to get this vaccine for his or her child if they could afford to do so.

I don't know but it sounds a little young. Talk to her pediatrician for starters.

Does insurance not pay for this vaccine? Doesn't matter really because it is probably not expensive.

20 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I don't know but it sounds a little young.

HPV is not just spread by sexual intercourse, but  also by hands, etc, hence the younger age range. What is weird is that the vaccine was only given to girls.   I realise in funding terms it would be most effective.  But the idea of only vaccinating girls for an STD is weird.  Boys can of course also get anal and penile cancer.   Or pass HPV on to a girl who has not been vaccinated.

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

But the idea of only vaccinating girls for an STD is weird.  Boys can of course also get anal and penile cancer.   Or pass HPV on to a girl who has not been vaccinated.

Are there vaccines available for them, too? Only asking because I don't have a clue what is out there now.

Thanks. I'm old and my son is grown. 

My niece has a 9 yr. old. I couldn't dare suggest it. This is why it is a problem. Not my place anyway.

I know things are changing, but when I was young and not so young, it was women who went regularly for checkups and got tested for STDs.  Not boys who only got stuff done if they had nasty symptoms.  I remember guys in the military being warned about sleeping with loose women because they could get infected.  It used to piss me off so much. My husband (god knows why) asked me recently if men can get Chlamydia.  I mean FFS.

I am old enough to remember a woman coming into our primary school for a willy check up! I expect a nurse or something but we boys lined up once a year to show her our, erm, not manhood...but whatever. :P That was in the 50´s and I don´t know what she expected to find...

URGENT EDIT: I remember playing doctors and nurses one day at home..can´t remember with whom but a girl was there and maybe a boy. A bit like an old buddy, sadly deceased, who grew up in a Catholic family in New York and whose parents wanted him to become a priest..one day, he told me the story that he had given up on becoming a priest when Mary gave him a kiss at school!:rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Boys can of course also get anal and penile cancer.   

And also some oral cancers are HPV-related (irrespective of gender).   Cases of that are increasing.     The interview in which Michael Douglas linked his to oral sex made global headlines.

38 minutes ago, john g. said:

I am old enough to remember a woman coming into our primary school for a willy check up! I expect a nurse or something but we boys lined up once a year to show her our, erm, not manhood...but whatever. :P That was in the 50´s and I don´t know what she expected to find...

Once a year in prmary school? In the 50s?  Obvs not STD check.  God knows what.  I had one check up primary school when they (without warning) pulled down knickers and had a glance about.  I mean., really, why do doctors think that they can do that sort of stuff without explaining why?  

2 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Was Jimmy Saville there?

Was the school run by nuns? Jesus (no pun intended)

Not wanting to take the important question discussed off topic, but worrying information here.

7 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Once a year in prmary school? In the 50s?  Obvs not STD check.  God knows what.  I had one check up primary school when they (without warning) pulled down knickers and had a glance about.  I mean., really, why do doctors think that they can do that sort of stuff without explaining why?  

Dunno,,,long time ago and I was young,,,,I think TB was more important back then! And it wasn´t Hattie Jacques who came to our school ( I don´t think!! )...

Does anyone know if a girl may have it in Germany if she wants it and her dad does not want her to have it? Or does she need her dad's approval? If she needs her dad's approval, what might convince a german dad?

I worked in a military health clinic and the thinking snowingagain mentioned - that males 'know' and so need neither blanket testing nor vaccination I encounted in the US military and the entire std treatment and prevention plan was conducted in a way to combat stds as if they were not predominatley heterosexually transmitted and were as a result ineffective. HPV vaccination targeting girls and not boys as well seems to be a continuation of this bias. As if the vast majority of the population involved is lesbian although half is not even female. Forced yearly public testing for stds of military females, but not the males was clearly not effective at reducing prevalence of the diseases in the young population.

Sorry you went through that degradation John G.