Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Traditional Easter Monday parade in Traunstein

8 posts in this topic

post-3720-1174994502.jpg
In case you're going to be in Munich over the Easter holidays, and would like to go on a day trip somewhere, you might want to think about going to Traunstein to see their traditional Easter Monday sword dance and Georgi-Ritt (horse procession) if the weather's good.

Traunstein's a lovely Bavarian town where you can catch glimpses of the mountains as you stroll around the streets. The inhabitants are also very proud that Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedikt XVI, lived there for 6 years in his youth (they even sell a brochure/map "Der Traunsteiner Benediktweg" with three different walks so you can follow in his footsteps).

Since Easter Monday's a holiday you can get there using the Bayern ticket, which now costs EUR 27 for 5 people or EUR 19 for a single person if you buy it online or at the machines.

I'm feeling generous, so the train RB 30007 leaving Munich Hauptbahnhof at 7.42 a.m. would get you to Traunstein at 9.16 a.m., giving you just enough time to walk to the town square (Stadtplatz), where the celebrations start. This info is only valid for 2007 - you can check other train times on the Deutsche Bahn website.

At 9.30 a.m. there's a prayer followed by a sword dance that lasts about 20 minutes, which apparently symbolises the triumph of Spring over Winter. The Georgi-Ritt, a pilgrimage in honour of St George, starts at 10 a.m. from the square, and you can watch the participants, all in traditional costume, ride through the streets on horses of various sizes accompanied by brass bands till they reach the Ettendorf chapel, where the horses are blessed. There are some pictures here to give you a rough idea. (The website says there are approximately 400 horses involved).

It's worth taking a quick stroll around the old town centre, and the sword dance is repeated at 2 p.m., but if you've already seen enough and still want to go places, you could use your train ticket to continue on to Salzburg for the afternoon, or maybe go back to Prien to enjoy a boat trip on the Chiemsee (you’ll have to check the train & boat times though).

It looks a great idea. I just need to know if can we go together. We are quite new here in Munich and we (my wife and I) really like to goin others to have this trip.

@ Farda: I won't be going this year, but maybe some other TTers will be interested in forming a group with you.

@ Kat: You'd have to check the Traunstein website to see what's open that day. I've only seen the parade in the square, so can't tell you how long the walk to the chapel and back would take. Most people were just enjoying themselves at the cafes and restaurants in and near the town square. The Hofbraeuhaus in the Hofgasse seemed popular too (just off the square). If you want to walk around a bit, the website has a description in German of a "Culture Walk" around the old centre, with photos so you can recognise the places.