I want to move to the U.S.

130 posts in this topic

Carm it isn't an implied criticism of Canada that RRH is interested in moving to the US

not really, the best way to overtake is to let them think we are intregating. ;)

In the South

Austin, TX

West

SF, CA - AWESOME, but as expensive as it's going to get. Liberal, fun, diverse, young. Not really a city that has to be sold, it's SF.

Seattle, WA- Very mild winters, but plenty of rain, and relatively high cost of living)

Portland, OR - Reasonably priced, on the smaller side, VERY GREEN, you can be skiing, swimming, or hiking in less than 90 mins.

Denver, CO - Just breathtakingly beautiful and getting better all the time, an up and coming city, with a very liberal pop.

Midwest

Chicago, IL - Huge city that feels small, second most extensive public transport system in the country, really the only place to be in the midwest, but very harsh winters that last half the year. The North Side is the best place to live IMHO.

East Coast

Brooklyn, NY (Specifically Park Slope)- All the perks of NY living, without risk of becoming an arrogant of Manhattanite, lower (though not much) cost of living. Amazing diversity, family friendly, very trendy.

Cambridge, MA - I love it, lots of history, clean, smart, young, beautiful, the BOSOX, the irish, great bars, great public transport, lots of snow, it's New England.

Washington D.C - Eh, it takes special kind to live in DC, I grew up inside the beltway and it's part of why I love it, but I can understand it's not for everyone, you have to love. The racial disparity in DC, is ridiculous, nicknamed chocolate city, because of the enormous black population, live in Georgetown or Adams Morgan, or Dupont Circle and it becomes very very very very very WASPY. Free museums. HOT & HUMID in the Summer.

Aside from Austin, Seattle an SF, I've lived in all of these places, and where you go really depends on just what you want, great website to try

Find Your Spot

San Francisco, I loved that city. Didn't like the east coast as much, but maybe that was just a culture shock after spending a year in the south. I've heard a lot of good things about Austin, kind of want to spend some time in that place one day. (Even though UT is in Austin ;) )

Don't move to Cincinnati, although it is a sister city of Munich. The majority of people are overweight and "tight".

Atlanta isn't all that bad, if you can manage to live not too far from, but not too close to, the city center. Too far away and you'll hate your life because of traffic and horrible public transport. Too close in and you'll be depressed because of crime and urban blight. But overall, it's a good place to live, especially if price is a factor.

It depends on what your job is on where you should go as well.

I really love New Orleans, and if you're willing to put up with a little rebuilding for a couple of years it's a great place. There is tons of opportunity there, and the people are the best you'll find anywhere in the US.

You might also like Miami or Tampa, but the cost of living will be higher.

Denver is the best choice, hands down!! Rapidly growing arts/culture scene, gorgeous scenery, mild winters, laid-back lifestyle, affordable housing, sunny over 300 days per year. Ugh, getting homesick now...

I haven't seen this brought up, but what do you actually do for a living and is it something that is local irrelevant? That might have an impact on your choices.

Add in my vote for San Francisco! Best...city...ever (and I don't mean just in the US). Actually, I even think Berkeley is a bit better to live in, because it's a fantastic area with a charm and culture of its own, full of highly educated people, and SF is just a 20 minute train ride away.

Over rated.

High crime

They talk funny

Taxes way too high for what services given.

Too close to L.A.

why the US? What about Vancouver? They don't really get winter, but skiing is only 1 hour away.

I absolutely agree that Vancouver is truly amazing. If I didn't live in Germany. I'd want to live in Vancouver. Unfortunately, I'm very hard pressed to think of one city in the states that I would want to live in.

@ eurovol, all of my jobs have been in Sales and Marketing, so I am pretty flexible.

You will need a customer base so I would stick to cities that are rather large and perhaps spread out. Compact markets will usually be full up on that line of work. Oh and you shoud embrace the liberal for without them, there would be no clean water, no social justice, no energy, no National Parks, no clean air and so on and so forth. ;)

@ eurovol, I'd rather keep this topic on where I could move, and not about how wonderful your political views are. I've certainly read enough of your opinions on that topic.

Also cruise Craigslist postings for houseing,and to see what jobs are offered.

Oh also post random things in missed connections to see what reactions you get.

@ eurovol, I'd rather keep this topic on where I could move, and not about how wonderful your political views are. I've certainly read enough of your opinions on that topic.

That will be part of your decision of where to move like it or not. Certain cities will be more friendly to liberal haters and others will not. Have you spent any time in the States since say 2001? There is a huge divide and fights break out in bars over it as well as the fact that some guy didn't get the girl. There are a lot of great cities, but if you don't fit the mold, they will not be so great to you. You think that I am going off topic, but I am telling you like it is. You may think your are not fond of liberals, but until you live in a truly Bible Belt liberal hating city you really can't say how you would fit in. Sad to say, it does make a difference all kidding aside.

You might also like Miami or Tampa, but the cost of living will be higher.

I wouldn't recommend either one. Crime is high in Miami and property prices are crap in both. I grew up in St. Pete (next to Tampa) and it's a cute town with great beaches. It's cleaned up it's downtown and generally everything is spotless and upscale now, but very boring, over all. I wouldn't want to move back. Austin sounds perfect, if only it had a beach. :(

eurovol, has it occured to you that I was talking about the Canadian Liberal party, and not about Democrats? The Canadian Conservative Party is still considered left of the American Democrats. I just don't want a national day care plan if they (The Liberal Party of Canada) were to be voted back in Canadian parliament. So technically it has nothing to do with either major American party.

I consider myself Libertarian. Economically conservative and socially liberal. I don't think I can find that 50/50 mix in any country.

So thank you for your words of wisdom, but I doubt that a girl like myself at 24 years of age will be starting bar fights across the country because of that.

If anyone has any other city recommendations, I would love to hear them. :)

I consider myself Libertarian. Economically conservative and socially liberal.

Has it occured to you that your views matter not where they come from and your use of terminology has implications?

That would fall under Progressive for the States and then I will warn you even more strongly to avoid certain cities like the plague. I could higly recommend areas around DC where you do have a nice mix. Montgomery County is for one a very nice place to live, but taxes are high there. Even so, you get what you pay for.

Charlotte is probably not a place that I would recommend, however RTP is. Nashville is highly recommendable but you have to like to walk out the door in summer and immediately be sweating. Chicago would also be a top choice, but it does get cold in the winter. Phoenix, Albuquerque and Santa Fe in the southwest would be great choices and are a lot less Bible Beltish.

In the south, religion, politics and sex will get you into a fight no matter who you are. I showed a girl a coin trick and the guy that I got in the way of took it personally and decided to punch me out of the blue. Don't think it is just guys, some of the best fights that I have seen in a bar involve girls. It is a whole different world than it is here.