I want to move to the U.S.

130 posts in this topic

I'd like to move to the States, only I don't know where to move!

I grew up close to Toronto so I am used to a bigger city with nightlife, theatres, shopping, etc. I would also prefer warmer weather! This year's lack of winter made me realize how much I didn't miss the snow.

I was thinking Charlotte, N.C. but I am worried that it may be too small.

So, anyone have any tips? Thanks very much in advance!

A very nice (warm) city: Austin, TX. Great nightlife, amazing music scene. It is where all the interesting people in Texas flee too, which makes it unique. It is a big city, but still has a lot of 'small town' feel... lots of local businesses too.

Plus there is a large local university (UT) to keep the town young and fresh.

Also there are tons of parks and greenery for the Spring and Fall when you can bear to be outdoors.

Do the "Coming to America" method. get a map, close your eyes and with a pin in your hand hit the map and there you go.

I've heard a lot of great things about Texas. My only bias with that state is my atheist aunt moved there a few years back - and now she is a Reverend helping the infirm in hospices!

Can I avoid bible-thumpers if I go that far down south? I know this sounds so ignorant, but I am just asking!

Can I avoid bible-thumpers if I go that far down south? I know this sounds so ignorant, but I am just asking!

It isn't ignorant... things really are 'that bad' down there (I lived in TX for 3 years, and at the end found out nearly all my friends thought Evolution was a big lie and conspiracy).

However, that's why Austin is a great place. It is kind of like an oasis for liberal/intelligent people in Texas. So it is a lttle island of cool in conservative TX

So yes, you'll run into them there, especially if you leave the city limits... but really Austin is a great place.

The bible beating aspect of Texas shouldn't be a problem; it's there, but it's avoidable. I lived in Houston for 5 years which is far "worse" than Austin when it comes to evangelicals. The most obvious thing you're likely to see are bumper stickers that say something like, "At the Rapture this car will be empty" and crap like that. It's more amusing than annoying. The overwhelming majority of people you'll come in contact with are laid back and cool regardless of their religious or political beliefs.

Food in Texas is fucking amazing BTW.

Las Vegas might be fun to visit, but you DO NOT want to live there, trust me. If you want a place with a real downtown, stick to the eastern side of the States -- cities get more spread out the further west you go. Then again, San Diego and San Francisco are quite nice -- San Diego is very warm, and close to the Mexican border.

My first thought was Florida -- east coast, warm weather, but then you'd have to deal with the hurricanes. How about Atlanta?

Las Vegas might be fun to visit, but you DO NOT want to live there, trust me. If you want a place with a real downtown, stick to the eastern side of the States -- cities get more spread out the further west you go. Then again, San Diego and San Francisco are quite nice -- San Diego is very warm, and close to the Mexican border.

San D. was where I was on my way to when I took that photo of Las V...

But I was only there for a week (work...)

Please don't move to Atlanta. It seriously sucks (sorry Ruthie). Horrible crime, terrible traffic, long commutes from the suburbs, no decent public transport... it's just generally crap. I like visiting but you couldn't pay me to actually live there.

Advising someone on where to move to in the U.S. is such a tricky thing because it is so incredibly subjective. America is huge, there's a little bit of everything, and it just depends on what you're looking for. Big-city excitement? New York City. Small-town Southern charm? Savannah, GA. Sun, surf and silicone? Los Angeles. Rocking nightlife and salsa clubs? Miami. Hippies and gorgeous scenery? Burlington, VT.

What is a 'small town' in your opinion, RRH? I used to consider myself as being from a small town - population 150,000. But then again, nowadays I also consider Munich small, and it's over a million people. My definition has changed over the years as I've gotten older and travelled more.

hey RRH...well, you've heard my 2 cents on this topic :D

first off, you obviously do not want to move to vegas...

i think chicago is definitely your speed, but if you want something warmer, i'd give texas a try (nashville is great, but maybe a bit smaller than you want)!

(p.s. what's your deal with the whole "bible-beater" issue...didn't realize you were such a "non-believer"...haha :P anywhere you go in the southern US is gonna be full of religious types, but big deal! i'm a southern baptist, and have never tried to convert you once!)

Yeah, I've been told Atlanta is a great place, but I think there's quite a bit of crime there.

For me a good million people would do it. I think Munich is quite small, as I was used to living in a metropolis of about 5 million people, with 2.5 in the downtown core. I guess you could compare it to Berlin?

I don't need that much sprawl, as generally it just creates traffic, but I'd rather not worry about running into people anywhere I go!

I sound picky. Perhaps I should buy my own island instead. :P

Okay, I'd never been to Atlanta, it was just a big city in the south east...

It's hard, I think, because in the south in general, where the sunshine is, you find a lot of bible-thumping. Never spent much time in the southeast (or any, for that matter) but have heard racism is still a big issue there, which can't be pleasant.

It's true if you go to California, you will run into lots of silicone and gel nails -- really, the attitudes are more reasonable the further norht you go, but then the sun is less...Seattle, Portland?

I like SLC, but it's full of Mormons (it's where I grew up). Montana is beautiful too, but no nightlife.

really, the attitudes are more reasonable the further norht you go, but then the sun is less...Seattle, Portland?

So I guess you'd advise Canada? (Which I have recently learned IS a real country)