Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Contact info for Frankfurt U-Bahn management

33 posts in this topic

I need the address of the correct people to write to who run FF U-bahn. On Thursday 15th March I broke my leg when their escalators stopped suddenly and threw me downstairs and have lost my job and have a lot of other problems as a result.

I want to write to them as quickly as possible and then contact a personal injury lawyer to see if I have grounds. The station btw was Konstablewacher.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and the problems it's causing you. I did a quick search on Google and came up with this link for VGF Frankfurt-am-Main. I trust that's what you're looking for, but it would be better if you let a lawyer handle things on your behalf. Good luck!

Sure hate it for you... I know the reputation America has but I can assure you in this situation you would wish this happened in the States so you would get properly compensated. I worked in FFM for 2 1/2 years and they have many public areas that are very unsafe and I always had that thought about them being sued because of someone getting hurt. German coworkers gave me lots of examples of just how little compensation (or none at all) that person would be awarded if injured. Before I get yelled at, I know the States is at times going to the extreme with its compensation... but if it puts fears into the right people to clean up hazardous areas then I'm for it.

Also have you got legal insurance? I am not an expert but you might want to reconsider if you haven't got any as it could work out very expensive?

I am going to instruct a lawyer on Friday. I'll let you know how things go. Frankfurt City Council deserve to get a bloody nose over this. Maybe then they'll spend some money on maintaining their ropey transport system.

I guess that's for your lawyer to prove, was there anyone else on the escalator at the time?

My lawyer asked me that but I think I was probably the only one. There was nobody in front of me. The lawyer did say though that it the escalators are not supposed to stop suddenly without any warning and that is obvious negligence. Same thing if a paving stone is uneven or loose. 20 people might walk over it and be fine but if someone trips and falls that is still negligence because a bad pavement means there is always the risk of injury. The worse the negligence the greater the risk of injury - i.e. a train crash.

did he also tell you not to expect any punitive damages? All you will be able to get from them is:

1) covering your lawyers fees

2) cover your medical expenses (in a private hospital)

3) cover your actual loss of earnings due to the accident

4) "Schmerzensgeld" (which is not all *that* much)

Punitive damages are not allowed under German law, so even you win this case, the Frankfurter U-bahn company won't get a "bloody nose".

How does your lawyer equate unforeseen mechanical malfunction with negligence? Negligence is a pretty strong accusation that will most certainly have to be proved by intent to commit such. Mechanical things break down all the time and in order for there to be negligence there would have to be a high expectation that this would occur beforehand (i. e. said escalator was inspected and found to be defective) and allowed to still be in use.

Does someone pressing the escalator's emergency stop button also count as negligence? Is the train operator negligent for providing such an obviously dangerous measure?

in order to prove negligence (Fahrlässigkeit §§276-278) you have to prove a breach of their duty of care (erforderliche Sorgfalt ausser acht lassen). The escalator simply stopping suddenly is, as eurovol says, probably not enough to prove this breach. (I think) Your lawyer would have to somehow prove that they had failed to maintain the escalator to a reasonable enough standard. Accidents do happen and sometimes there is not always someone to blame, so you have to prove that this accident could have been avoided by reasonable measures.

Does someone pressing the escalator's emergency stop button also count as negligence? Is the train operator negligent for providing such an obviously dangerous measure?

if you push the emergency stop for no valid reason, i believe you become personally liable for any damage to persons or belongings. If you acted in good faith and there is a real emergency then I don't believe anyone is liable unless the reason for pushing the emergency stop was because someone breached a duty of care.

I don't expect the Council to be bankrupted by my claim but certainly getting anything at all would be some recompense to me for the huge interruption to my life this has caused. But I am quite prepared that I get nothing at all and am unsuccessful. However, as my lawyer said, I have a duty to try to claim from them as these things just shouldn't happen. If an old frail person had been on the escalators and taken the same tumble they could have been killed or crippled for life. As it is I don't know how quickly my leg will heal and allow me to do sports again let alone start working again.

However, as my lawyer said, I have a duty to try to claim from them as these things just shouldn't happen.

Or is it that he means you have a duty to give a poor lawyer work?