Climate change discussion

1,331 posts in this topic

I think that people underestimated the side effects of a small temperature increase, like these constant extreme weather situations. So the main model is good on long term predictions, but does not predict short term effects.

22 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I think that people underestimated the side effects of a small temperature increase, like these constant extreme weather situations. So the main model is good on long term predictions, but does not predict short term effects.

People throwing out doomsday scenarios should be asked to clarify if their views are backed by a scientific method.    If they answer in the affirmative and their predictions are not correct, then the model is wrong and they need to try again. 

It is a political issue.     

It's only a political issue if you have your head so far up your ass that you disagree with 99% of the scientists worldwide.

But that's been a consistent feature among all your alts, Loretta. I'm surprised you haven't been crowing about Deutsche Bank's big recent quarterly loss.

On 7/26/2019, 9:33:32, MikeMelga said:

It will reduce the three largest contributers to green house gas: transportation, industry and paradoxically electricity production.

May we add, er, "posting to social media" to that? Also, flying to climate change conferences?

25 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

And dragging a caravan around europe with D.E.R.V.

Ah welcome back, Mr Troll. Until the next ban...

Absolutely correct, but I don't preach the gospel of climate change...

I love electric cars,, but where is all the electricity being generated? Nuclear power plants, Russian gas? 

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

but where is all the electricity being generated? Nuclear power plants, Russian gas? 

Predominantly coal, but greenwashed to look like renewables. 

5 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

It's only a political issue if you have your head so far up your ass that you disagree with 99% of the scientists worldwide.

Science does not work by consensus.   Since you seem to be on Twitter, i can recommend that you follow Richard Feynman, i.e. @ProfFeynman  .   The account posts quotes which will help you understand the scientific method. 

For example:

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong. In that simple statement is the key to science.

5 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

I'm surprised you haven't been crowing about Deutsche Bank's big recent quarterly loss.

The quarterly loss is no more relevant than the quarterly increase in earnings you crowed about a few months ago right before the stock hit all time lows.     The story is the derivatives books  which you don't have a clue about, so i won't waste my time with taunts you wouldn't understand.   

July 2019 is now the hottest month in recorded history, the U.N. confirmed on Thursday.

At a press conference in New York, U.N. Secretary General António Guterres announced that the month of July had reached 1.2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, a figure that “at least equaled if not surpassed the hottest month in recorded history,” according to data released by the World Meteorological Organization. Temperature information from July is still streaming in, but preliminary data show last month’s warmth is roughly on par, or perhaps slightly warmer than the previous record of July 2016.

In cities and towns around the world, record high temperatures outpaced record low temperatures on nearly a 3-to-1 basis during July, underscoring the fact that this crisis is being felt almost everywhere, by almost everyone.

So this girl is sailing across the Atlantic, not in a wooden natural boat but a carbon fibre* vessel, to say some stuff about global warming, but five people are flying over to bring the boat back!

*No trees were harmed in the making of this trip. Er, actually there were! :)

11 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

So this girl is sailing across the Atlantic, not in a wooden natural boat but a carbon fibre* vessel, to say some stuff about global warming, but five people are flying over to bring the boat back!

"Are her followers SO stupid they cannot see the cosmic hypocrisy on display?"

IMHO she is being exploited by the cause and ultimately episodes like this one will tarnish her reputation.     20 years from now, people will wonder why they let their kids skip school on Fridays to drink beers and smoke weed at the Friday for Future rallies at the behest of what seems to be the offspring of Joan of Arc and Rasputin.    

She and her father boarded the ICE train in front of me in March at the Cologne train station.   They were going to Brussels and I was going to Aachen.    The thing that impressed me the most is that she is tiny.   Compared to other kids who are 16, she looks 2 years younger.  

I would not accuse her of hypocrisy.   She is just a child.   The people who are exploiting her have a lot to answer for.

Roger Hallam, co-founder of Extinction Rebellion, has been interviewed on the BBC's HARDtalk.

I caught some of it and wasn't impressed. He not only talks about "the elites" (who are they anyway? politicians? royalty? people with more money than me?) but apparently doesn't disapprove of the highly irresponsible and possibly deadly deployment of drones over Heathrow. He even seems to have predicted that deaths will occur as part of his civil disobedience efforts.

8 hours ago, balticus said:

IMHO she is being exploited by the cause and ultimately episodes like this one will tarnish her reputation.     20 years from now, people will wonder why they let their kids skip school on Fridays to drink beers and smoke weed at the Friday for Future

I would not accuse her of hypocrisy.   She is just a child.   The people who are exploiting her have a lot to answer for.

My daughter went to this FFF thing and the kids were chatting to each other about flying around the world next year. So much for the cause.

You are right about this poor girl being exploited though. She hasn't got a clue.

1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

Roger Hallam, co-founder of Extinction Rebellion, has been interviewed on the BBC's HARDtalk.

I caught some of it and wasn't impressed. He not only talks about "the elites" (who are they anyway? politicians? royalty? people with more money than me?) 

Then he gives the game away that the entire backstory is Marxism under the guise of the Green movement. 

This is the co-founder of Greenpeace:

The environmental problems we have are other than global warming - biodiversity loss, habitat destruction, insect extinction, but AGW isn't a problem.

Yeah, yeah, Chan Fan.

Patrick Moore (consultant)...

...a real dick of Trumpian proportions 

Moore is "a paid spokesman for the nuclear industry, the logging industry, and genetic engineering industry"[3] who "exploits long-gone ties with Greenpeace to sell himself as a speaker and pro-corporate spokesperson".

Moore has also denied the consensus of the scientific community on climate change, having stated that increased carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere is beneficial,[9] that there is no proof that anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions are responsible for global warming,[10]and that even if true, increased temperature would be beneficial to life on Earth.[9] 

These views are contrary to the scientific consensus on the effects of global warming, which is expected to have a significant and irreversible negative impact on climate and weather events around the world, posing severe risks like ocean acidification and sea level rise to human society and to other organisms

Wiki

And to bring the reality sharply back into focus:

Alaska records its warmest month ever; future records likely

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Alaska has been America’s canary in the coal mine for climate warming, and the yellow bird is swooning.

July was Alaska’s warmest month ever, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Sea ice melted. Bering Sea fish swam in above-normal temperatures. So did children in the coastal town of Nome. Wildfire season started early and stayed late.