Climate change discussion

1,595 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Fromm said:

The point is that the idea that mankind is in grave danger because of climate change, is an imaginary thing. The G20 summit was real, however.

is that you Smurf?

7 minutes ago, Fromm said:

The point is that the idea that mankind is in grave danger because of climate change, is an imaginary thing. The G20 summit was real, however.

I feel sorry for scientists, having to back up all their ideas with facts.  That's why I love Jesus.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidebanis/2018/12/28/10-worst-climate-driven-disasters-of-2018-cost-us-85-billion/#102bfd922680

2 minutes ago, Fromm said:

Hurrican Florence was not the result of climate change. Your link is propaganda.

God Farting? 

6 minutes ago, Fromm said:

Hurrican Florence was not the result of climate change. Your link is propaganda.

Why did God kill all the dinosaurs?

3 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Why did God kill all the dinosaurs?

Don't Darwinists believe that the dinosaurs all turned into birds or something like that? I am sure I have heard them say that before..

7 hours ago, Fromm said:

Prove that.

It isn't as though Hooperski's article doesn't have corroboration.

13 hours ago, Fromm said:

When I lived in Michigan as a kid about 30 years ago I remember once it got so warm just a couple days before Christmas that everyone was wearing shorts and grilling burgers and such out on the sidewalks.

You misunderstand a basic tenet of climate doomsterism:   any piece of evidence which does not confirm the thesis is "weather" not "climate" while any severe weather which does enough damage to make the news is irrefutable proof that climate change is real.  

Climate alarmism is a feel good campaign, nothing more. 

I would characterize it as a "feel bad" campaign.    Some people need things to worry about.   If you look at the people debating against you on this thread, they believe the world is f***ed and there is a constant stream of people who qualify as "twat of the day", "scum of the day", who seem to be oppressing them.    

Solutions always require total adherence to the belief system and subordination to a centralized body.   Suggestions of lifestyle changes are met with accusations of fascism.    Climate change is an existential threat, but the way out involves embracing a belief system.   

My crystal ball tells me that there will be a moment in the history of mankind (hopefully in the next decade before too much damage is done) in which there is an enlightenment via mathematical and statistical literacy.     Most social science research will be dismissed as pure garbage and climate change will sort of fade into the background.    Years later, when the worst of charlatans and their politically powerful backers have passed away, it will seem like a huge leap forward.    People will marvel at how "research" which was not repeatable or validated by robust statistical methods shaped political thought and drove significant policy decisions.  

So, is Ozone Depletion (commonly known as the Ozone Hole) just some BS from the alarmists?  Didn't we damage the ozone layer and then we realized we were going into deep shit so we took measures and banned CFCs and a few other things and then things got better again?   We still have another 50 years to go to go back to the ozone levels we have pre-1970 though.

It is strange how different was the reception of the public if you compare Ozone Depletion and Climate Change.   Even if they are basically the same problem, Ozone Depletion was caused by putting too much CFCs and halons in the atmosphere and Global Warming is caused by putting too much CO2 in the atmosphere.   

7 hours ago, Krieg said:

It is strange how different was the reception of the public if you compare Ozone Depletion and Climate Change.   Even if they are basically the same problem, Ozone Depletion was caused by putting too much CFCs and halons in the atmosphere and Global Warming is caused by putting too much CO2 in the atmosphere.   

Because the changes required did not involve monumental changes to the entire energy infrastructure.  

If you drive a car to work when you could take public transport, perhaps you can tell us why your convenience is more important than doing your part to address what is perceived by some as an existential threat to human life on the planet.  

7 hours ago, Krieg said:

So, is Ozone Depletion (commonly known as the Ozone Hole) just some BS from the alarmists?  Didn't we damage the ozone layer and then we realized we were going into deep shit so we took measures and banned CFCs and a few other things and then things got better again?   We still have another 50 years to go to go back to the ozone levels we have pre-1970 though.

Exactly! The damage of the ozone layer is a great example on how mankind can fuck up the Earth, but also a great example that with proper steps we can revert it!

7 hours ago, Krieg said:

indeed.  I think it helped that you could SEE the hole in the ozone layer.  Images of that freaked people out as it was undeniably and obviously there.

but climate change confuses people.  They think "oh it's snowing like a mofo this year and a polar vortex is predicted next week.  global warming?  yeah, right!"  or worse "I love it when it's 70 degrees at christmas time in Boston - bring it on"

I think it's primarily about what people can observe first hand.  Sadly.

I also wonder if another factor has to do with kids.  The ozone issue was a big topic when I was small, and we learned a lot about it from a fairly young age.  As I got older I really knew what was dangerous to the ozone and what wasn't, while I doubt my parents could have said the same. 

There were so many educational campaigns around environmental topics in general at that time, especially directed towards kids.  I distinctly remember one day we were driving down the road and my mom threw a small paper bag of lunch-trash out the window of the car.  I freaked the hell out, telling her "no mommy no - you're going to make the indian cry!!!"  

for reference that was related to this commercial which is still seared into my brain:  https://youtu.be/8Suu84khNGY

the thing is, my mom saw that commercial as often as I did.  But unlike her, for me it was a visceral lesson that caught me young enough to really hit home.  I ended up influencing her to stop littering, not the reverse.

I think some of that is at work when we see so many climate change demo's filled with kids - they feel it on a visceral level having lived their whole lives thus far under the shadow of potential crisis - and frankly, it's fairly obvious they are the ones who are going to suffer the most if things don't change fast.

Europe heatwave: Why are temperatures on the continent soaring?

Countries across Europe are experiencing record-breaking heat and issuing health alerts, urging people to keep cool, as sweltering temperatures are expected to intensify across the continent.

The heatwave has already caused flash floods and forest fires, grounded planes and buckled train tracks and led to school closures and warnings over air quality.

... led to school closures ...

When my family spent a year in Munich (1966/67) when I was 15 I went to a German school & recall a number of times the Hausmeister coming round saying "Hitzefrie".

Nothing new there (was in the days before the Internet...).

I've done my bit, I went out early this morning, when it was still cool(ish), and stocked up with supplies of beer :)

@Wulfrun Commendable. Excellent. I admire your passion.

It's not quite clear to me how your actions are helping the planet, but give credit where credit's due.

In 2003, it was the hottest summer in Europe since 1540.    Estimates were that 70k people died or died prematurely due to the heat.    France seemed to be hit extra hard. 

Few people would remember that in April, 2003, there was a snowstorm in Berlin.   

3 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

I've done my bit, I went out early this morning, when it was still cool(ish), and stocked up with supplies of beer :)

I´ve done my bit for the planet today as well...I swallowed a small piece of plastic when I was swimming today:(

The local beach is choc-a-bloc with crap plastic right now. Hope the wind changes direction tomorrow...