Climate change discussion

1,596 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

hydroelectric is great, but you missed the biggest flaw. You need access to large amounts of mountain that you can flood so geographies where it is viable are limited.

That´s why I said very limited capacity.

Something idealistic people don't like: numbers

To heat 1l of water by 1° you have to lift another l 432 m high and let it fall through a turbine.

The largest reservoir in German stores no more that 8GWh. That's the amount a large atomic or coal power plant produces in 8 hrs. They will not built more pumped-storage power plants, because the resitance of the people is too large.

My idea: Germany should invade Norway and built a dam through a fjord. Enough water to be pumped uphill and enough area.

An invasion would be necessary, because the Norwegians would not like the idea of such a dam. They earn enough money with their oil.

Shame they cannot harness the awesome power of lightning. How many watts per strike?

Nature sure is powerful!

Just watching the massive thunderstorm outside... breathtaking.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

Shame they cannot harness the awesome power of lightning. How many watts per strike?

Nature sure is powerful!

The only way to do it would be with... you guess... batteries!

But it would only make sense in an area of the globe where lightning would be extremely common.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

Nature sure is powerful!

Power: yes, but no energy.

1GW per lightning, but the only last for a tenth of a second ->approx. 25kWh

Why not using sun light and wind? Only use stove and lighting when the sun is shining or the wind is blowing.

I would like to know why these havent become popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtAkVC9c0U

There are dozens of small rivers around where I live that never dry-up and are not visible to the general public.   so a row of 10 or so, one after the other would harness enough power to serve  street ligting and comunity buildings too... 

32 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I would like to know why these havent become popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtAkVC9c0U

Because the cost and the amount of maintenance isnt worth it. 

Water wheels vary, but mostly produce somewhere between 1kW and 5kW (example http://www.anliatec.com/product/micro-hydro-turbine-system-2kw-5kw/), so using efficient modern street lighting around 50W-400W you get very roughly 20 street lights for each water wheel, together with a mess of wiring, transformers etc.  They need to be cleaned, have alge and whatever removed regularly, or otherwise fixed or unblocked... And they cost about 10 grand each.

There is nothing wrong with a watermill, or indeed a lightning collector but those are very much niche applications.  

10 minutes ago, yesterday said:

its amazing - turns out that the Fashion industry is probably the most polluting industries of them all

I always thought it's the livestock industry. Hm.

Somewhere within "ear shot"... there is a huge thunderstorm rumbling in... 

They dont usually start till late July.. early  august... 

Sure is a big sign that I have left my window open... 

On 6/3/2019, 9:45:44, Chris Marston said:

I always thought it's the livestock industry. Hm.

In the past they used to build houses of pure horseshit.

On 6/3/2019, 10:50:50, SpiderPig said:

No... Just past the strawberry bed...   I cant see the end of my garden... 

He never plants anything. Just a waterlogged field he mows with a sit on mower.

29 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Somewhere within "ear shot"... there is a huge thunderstorm rumbling in... 

They dont usually start till late July.. early  august... 

Sure is a big sign that I have left my window open... 

...and let's hope sandbags round the door. Don't want that foot high tide mark up the wall like last time eh?

Oh do keep up you drunkard...

In Germany "Fachwerhaus" was made of Timber and clay/straw mix...  Its the UK that used horse shit... 

No Need for sand bags as you my recall, last year we removed the obstruction that caused water ingress...  (maybe you were permadrunk last year and didnt notice?)

And FYI.. its simply not possible to mow anything thats water logged... and Red currents love the soil here, but sadly Raspberries dont do so good...  Strawberries are plentyful at the mo...

Hows the boat/Java / Website building coming on?

6 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Hows the boat/Java / Website building coming on?

Excellent question. boat is in shape, needs a top. Website? We're talking a cloud based Heroku deployment accessing MySQL (though most likely a PostSQL on-platform deployment. You don't get pure MySQL on Heroku.)

To your level...lots of buttons and charts.

10 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Excellent question. boat is in shape, needs a top. Website? We're talking a cloud based Heroku deployment accessing MySQL (though most likely a PostSQL on-platform deployment. You don't get pure MySQL on Heroku.)

Pictures please..

And I will await someone who hknows about websites/jave etc to spank you... 

10 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

I suggest you stop bragging about software development tools and infrastructure you do not really know.   I think it is cool that people try to learn by themselves software development tools using freely available information, but what you are doing here is wrong.  You clearly have no clue of what you are talking about,  You just wrote a bunch of mumbo jumbo that do not make sense at all.  Deployment accessing MySQL?? Accessing MySQL via PostSQL?  What the heck is that?  You don't get pure MySQL? What? You even misspelled PostgreSQL.  And of course you can use MySQL with Heroku.

I am making this carrot cake which will deliver muffins in kindergartens.  Of course you can't put carrots in a cake, so it has rhuvarv instead.  Because you know, you can't use bio carrots in cakes.  It will be baked in the freezer.

That's how you sound.

It's the climate change thread.   

This is the place where everyone needs to complain about impending doom, ridicule the "fascists" who suggest people should limit their carbon footprints by adjusting their own personal lifestyle and condemn the non-believers and apostates who doubt the gospel of Al Gore and Greta Thunberg.  

Here you go, alt-bicus. Enjoy:

found_your_attention.jpg.b86904e29995846

Cute of you to refer to others as "fascists". At least your projector's still working, if nothing else is.