Climate change discussion

1,596 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Nuclear Power really is not the answer. It is so dangerous. I cannot believe that France have 57 Nuclear Power plants. I myself am a victim of Iodine 131. We really need to find something better. You as a scientist can do that. You have the power to make things better.

It is not the best answer today, but until recently it was the best option we had to fight climate change.

The rest is FUD of green fluorescent dicks glowing in the dark.

What disturbed me the most about Chernobyl was that the Soviet Government tried to cover it up, they ignored the scientists, they treated Nuclear physicists with contempt. 

The new series Chernobyl from HBO on Netflix is a real eye opener. Those poor firefighters. Then the red forest. We must not forget.

There were 2 major nuclear accidents, one was in a very old tech reactor, managed by the decrepit soviet union. The other was an even older reactor managed by the Yakuza.

Warning Links are disturbing.

Google for Bhopal, the worst industrial disaster ever, deadlier than Chernobyl.

On 5/25/2019, 11:19:25, SmurfLee said:

Topics merged by admin

Every year seems to be becoming colder.

Last year, about this time, I was wearing short skirts. This year is colder than last year. I also remember last year was colder than the year before last year, and the summer was so short.

I would not worry about global warming, but the sixth ice age.

I know ice on the poles are melting down, but what I am experiencing is colder weather clearly. There might be multiple combined effects from whatever is going on, but what I am experiencing in where I live is clearly colder weather every year.

You are mixing Climate Change with Weather and with Global Warming.

You are extrapolating your local effects on a global scale. 

Sorry, too much uninformed things to bother correcting.

22 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Oh but it does. Please do not forget the thousands who died due to Chernobyl.

Nuclear Power really is not the answer. It is so dangerous. I cannot believe that France have 57 Nuclear Power plants. I myself am a victim of Iodine 131. We really need to find something better. You as a scientist can do that. You have the power to make things better.

What disturbed me the most about Chernobyl was that the Soviet Government tried to cover it up, they ignored the scientists, they treated Nuclear physicists with contempt. 

The new series Chernobyl from HBO on Netflix is a real eye opener. Those poor firefighters. Then the red forest. We must not forget.

However, switching to nuclear would actually save lives as the deaths per unit of energy produced is lower for nuclear than any other, even wind or solar.  Including the deaths due to Chernobyl, Fukushima and anything else.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

It is not the best answer today, but until recently it was the best option we had to fight climate change.

The rest is FUD of green fluorescent dicks glowing in the dark.

There were 2 major nuclear accidents, one was in a very old tech reactor, managed by the decrepit soviet union. The other was an even older reactor managed by the Yakuza.

Google for Bhopal, the worst industrial disaster ever, deadlier than Chernobyl.

34 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

However, switching to nuclear would actually save lives as the deaths per unit of energy produced is lower for nuclear than any other, even wind or solar.  Including the deaths due to Chernobyl, Fukushima and anything else.

Thing that I don't understand is why the big companies do not use human/animal waste to produce energy. The world is full of it and it is constantly being produced.

The video is very interesting indeed.

40 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Thing that I don't understand is why the big companies do not use human/animal waste to produce energy. The world is full of it and it is constantly being produced.

What makes you think they dont?

https://www.clarke-energy.com/2014/electricity-sewage-india/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2114761-worlds-first-city-to-power-its-water-needs-with-sewage-energy/

http://www.bwb.de/de/7560.php

This is an interesting project for those...ahem...who live near a river!

I wish there were horse poo biogas power stations near here, as it is very "horsey" countryside here. Even a polo ground.

Two more...sorry not good at adjusting photo sizes. :)

One of things we saw was moss growing and the commentator said they are seeing more and more moss growing due to the climate change in Antartica. 

antarctica7jpg.jpg.aa7b8222db5b25da53977antarctica10.jpg.f7efcb2eebf641889bc09c9

22 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

According to this link, Antarctica is one of the most rapidly warming places on the planet.  I know there was a huge increase in my carbon footprint to get to Antartica, but I couldn't pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity.  

Er, how far is the flight to Antarctica? How many tourist ships go there? What is their impact on the environment there?

Before any of you think " I wonder if it really it that bad... "... Just assume it is,

Save your money.. save your carbon foot proínt and stop buying shite thats wrapped i plastic!...

my beer was wrapped in glass and willbe re-used...  my pizza in Cardboard and will be recycled or used to light the wood burner...

Light the woodburner? According to Gove you're an enviromental Heathen. To have a wood burner and burn wood is just not on. (Gove of the Tory gov't under Dave the comedien that stopped all grants and incentives for renewables and then licenced fracking).

You should be rubbing sticks together and burning anything apart from Wood or Fossil fuels. Better still use the electric real effect wood burner. They come with very pretty fake flames now:D

4 hours ago, Anna66 said:

The largest waste of energy is due to the electricity daily consumption envelope, i.e. the no-consumption periods during the evening and during some hours on daytime. The easiest way to recover that energy is massive investment in batteries.

Not only it recovers lost energy, it also reduces production capability during peak times!

And you can even compensate for power shortages, power factor issues, etc, basically providing near perfect electricity, which also improves the life span of appliances.

There are many other ways to produce energy from waste, like the one you mentioned, but battery technology is a win-win in all scenarios.

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

The largest waste of energy is due to the electricity daily consumption envelope, i.e. the no-consumption periods during the evening and during some hours on daytime. The easiest way to recover that energy is massive investment in batteries.

This system on the German / Lux border pumps water uphill during low use periods and generates electricity during high use periods.    It is interesting to tour if you are in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vianden_Pumped_Storage_Plant

On another note, it appears that "LeCheese" has quietly deregistered.   

1 hour ago, balticus said:

This system on the German / Lux border pumps water uphill during low use periods and generates electricity during high use periods.    It is interesting to tour if you are in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vianden_Pumped_Storage_Plant

On another note, it appears that "LeCheese" has quietly deregistered.   

Yes, the same is done in Portugal. It is analogue to batteries, but there are a few drawbacks:

• very limited capacity
  • does not work well in summer months
  • slow start-up (few minutes vs hundred of milliseconds)
  • no power factor correction

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Yes, the same is done in Portugal. It is analogue to batteries, but there are a few drawbacks:

• very limited capacity
  • does not work well in summer months
  • slow start-up (few minutes vs hundred of milliseconds)
  • no power factor correction

hydroelectric is great, but you missed the biggest flaw. You need access to large amounts of mountain that you can flood so geographies where it is viable are limited.

6 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

hydroelectric is great, but you missed the biggest flaw. You need access to large amounts of mountain that you can flood so geographies where it is viable are limited.

Works in the flatlands of Hamburg since 1958...

Short term "battery".  Pump the Elbe uphill when no one needs the 

spare electrictiy. Let it fall back through turbines when needed.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpspeicherkraftwerk_Geesthacht

How much power does it take to pump water uphill?

I'm currently living with the power of 2 solar panels. They run the frig, lights, etc. I will need to turn on the 220 when it gets hot enough for the air conditioner or I want to turn on fans for cooling. So far, so good and so cheap. (We pay extra for power and water in the marina.)