Climate change discussion

1,596 posts in this topic

Nah, just university "scientists" doing what they do best: wasting people's money.

CO2 entrapment is not economically feasible by a factor of 100x or 1000x.

Spraying salt on clouds is also stupid.

Just some distracting ideas.

It was 84 degrees near the Arctic Ocean this weekend as carbon dioxide hit its highest level in human history

Over the weekend, the climate system sounded simultaneous alarms. Near the entrance to the Arctic Ocean in northwest Russia, the temperature surged to 84 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere eclipsed 415 parts per million for the first time in human history.

By themselves, these are just data points. But taken together with so many indicators of an altered atmosphere and rising temperatures, they blend into the unmistakable portrait of human-induced climate change.

Saturday's steamy 84-degree reading was posted in Arkhangelsk, Russia, where the average high temperature is around 54 this time of year. The city of 350,000 people sits next to the White Sea, which feeds into the Arctic Ocean's Barents Sea.

In Koynas, a rural area to the east of Arkhangelsk, it was even hotter on Sunday, soaring to 87 degrees. Many locations in Russia, from the Kazakhstan border to the White Sea, set record-high temperatures over the weekend, some 30 to 40 degrees above average. The warmth also bled west into Finland, which hit 77 degrees Saturday, the country's warmest temperature of the season so far.

Good heavens I would hope that everbody knows plants use CO2 for food. It's pretty basic biology.

They also also use shit for nutrients. 

But too much of a good thing...

Topics merged by admin

Every year seems to be becoming colder.

Last year, about this time, I was wearing short skirts. This year is colder than last year. I also remember last year was colder than the year before last year, and the summer was so short.

I would not worry about global warming, but the sixth ice age.

I know ice on the poles are melting down, but what I am experiencing is colder weather clearly. There might be multiple combined effects from whatever is going on, but what I am experiencing in where I live is clearly colder weather every year.

where do you live?

37 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Apparently in the 19th century.

Victorian England.

Physical evidence of current climate change covers many independent lines of evidence, a few of which are temperature records, the disappearance of ice, and extreme weather events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change

Extreme weather includes unexpected, unusual, unpredictable, severe or unseasonal weather; weather at the extremes of the historical distribution—the range that has been seen in the past.[1] Often, extreme events are based on a location’s recorded weather history and defined as lying in the most unusual ten percent.[2] In recent years some extreme weather events have been attributed to human-induced global warming,[3][4][5] with studies indicating an increasing threat from extreme weather in the future.[6][7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_weather

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

but what I am experiencing in where I live is clearly colder weather every year.

Temperatures in Heidelberg each year on 24th of May from 2009 onwards.

28 °c
25 °c
23 °c
26 °c
13 °c
19 °c
20 °c
12 °c
21 °c
26 °c
25 °c

2 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

Last year, about this time, I was wearing short skirts. This year is colder than last year.

Now that's a serious problem. Colder temperatures = less brown legs to check out. Bummer. Logically we need more global warming then. There must be ways to produce more CO2. I'll take up smoking. A rewarding hobby, one may start with nicotine patches then move on to low tar cigarettes. 

btw on a more serious note, the ice caps melt alternately. Also other planets like Mars also have experienced their ice caps melting over a period. 

As I understand it, the Gulf Stream is cooling so Europe is not getting so much of its warming effect, and it's cooling because of the melting Arctic ice, kind of Catch 22 situation...

11 hours ago, Fromm said:

Do you know that plants use C02 for food?

Plants need CO2 for photosynthesis, that's biology 101.

I also consider myself a

"citizen botanist " with 125 various house plants in my collection.  I spend a LOT of time  studying plants.

The weather is changeable like crazy the past few years. We used to have proper seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn. Now it is crazy. One week you can have 7 degrees, the next week 22 degrees. This week we had 9 degrees in the evening, next week it will shoot up to 32 degrees.

We need to plant more trees. Products like palm fat/oil should be banned.

Watching this broke my heart.

A friend posted this photo on a whatsapp group.  It's in Edmonton.  The red sky is due to forest fires. This is at noon.  I told her I don't remember this from when I lived in Edmonton 10 yrs. ago and she said it's happening every summer now.  She added that it doesn't quite capture the doomsday look.

5cf1b2e17b2bd_WhatsAppImage2019-05-30at2

On 30.4.2019, 12:48:17, MikeMelga said:

Chernobyl does not contribuite to climate changes. In fact radiation is one waste we produce that is more harmful for people than for the environment. And if we have more nuclear power there would be less climate change.

Oh but it does. Please do not forget the thousands who died due to Chernobyl.

Nuclear Power really is not the answer. It is so dangerous. I cannot believe that France have 57 Nuclear Power plants. I myself am a victim of Iodine 131. We really need to find something better. You as a scientist can do that. You have the power to make things better.

What disturbed me the most about Chernobyl was that the Soviet Government tried to cover it up, they ignored the scientists, they treated Nuclear physicists with contempt. 

The new series Chernobyl from HBO on Netflix is a real eye opener. Those poor firefighters. Then the red forest. We must not forget.

Warning Links are disturbing.

On 5/25/2019, 11:19:25, SmurfLee said:

Topics merged by admin

Last year, about this time, I was wearing short skirts. This year is colder than last year. I also remember last year was colder than the year before last year, and the summer was so short.

I would not worry about global warming, but the sixth ice age.

I know ice on the poles are melting down, but what I am experiencing is colder weather clearly. There might be multiple combined effects from whatever is going on, but what I am experiencing in where I live is clearly colder weather every year.

So you really have no idea what global warming is then ?

Or climate change for that matter apparently