Climate change

1,963 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

No it is not as good as face-to-face.  But surely better than spending xx days on a boat with limited facilities and makes an even greater point.

I am not sure, I think that speech in USA was very successful to her interests.

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

No it is not as good as face-to-face.  But surely better than spending xx days on a boat with limited facilities and makes an even greater point.

It’s all a matter of implementation. A larger than life 2D video or hologram plus as you said what people would infer from it can be a big hit. Inking distance f2f meetings must in general die. If the technology is not immersive enough to replace them most times than it must be improved.

20 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

A larger than life 2D video or hologram plus as you said what people would infer from it can be a big hit. Inking distance f2f meetings must in general die. If the technology is not immersive enough to replace them most times than it must be improved.

And then all business travel will stop. Cool!

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

And then all business travel will stop. Cool!

Not really. Business in Asia is handled like in southern europe: decisions are made while eating and drinking. This establishes a trust bond.

Also technical discussions, training, troubleshooting have to be done in loco. Not to mention that in many companies it is forbidden any type of outside access without being there. All my trips to Asia were like that: I could not even bring a watch or a pen inside!

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I was only funning.

Oh, and you forgot bribe paying which can include dinners, drinks and whores. :D

And drugs!

Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, is committing $10 billion of his own money to fight climate change through the creation of the “Bezos Earth Fund.”

The Amazon (AMZN) CEO announced the launch on Instagram, asserting humans can save the Earth by using an inclusive approach that combines the efforts and resources of all stakeholders.

"We can save Earth. It’s going to take collective action from big companies, small companies, nation-states, global organizations, and individuals,” the post stated. “I’m committing $10 billion to start and will begin issuing grants this summer. Earth is the one thing we all have in common — let’s protect it, together."

here

Russell Crowe's message on the climate crisis – video

In a recorded video message played during the Fire Fight Australia bushfire relief concert on Sunday, actor Russell Crowe gives a stark warning and call to action about dealing with the climate crisis. More than 70,000 people attended the 10-hour concert at ANZ Stadium in Sydney organised by comedian Celeste Barber, with artists including Queen with Adam Lambert, 5 Seconds of Summer, Guy Sebastian, John Farnham  and KD Lang

"Study finds quarter of climate change tweets from bots" BBC

A study by researchers at Brown University has found a quarter of posts about climate change on Twitter were written by bots.

he research team analysed 6.5 million tweets from the period surrounding President Donald Trump's June 2017 announcement that he was removing the United States from the Paris climate accord.

The finding showed 25% of tweets on climate change were likely posted by bots. Most of those tweets centred on denials of global warming or rejections of climate science.

"These findings suggest a substantial impact of mechanized bots in amplifying denials messages about climate change," the authors of the reporter wrote, according to The Guardian.

Posts in support of action to protect the environment were far less likely to come from bots. Researchers found only 5% of tweets advocating such action came from this type of software.

18 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

"Study finds quarter of climate change tweets from bots" BBC

And another quarter from J2.

I'm halfway through this book:

We Are The Weather, by (the brilliant) Jonathan Safran Foer.

According to him, there are 4 areas we could and should all look at if we wanted to decrease our personal carbon/greenhouse gas footprint.

1. Have fewer children

2. Fly less

3. Drive less

4. Eat less meat

(Read the book for why this would help!)

I'm not vegetarian, and don't eat a lot of meat anyway, but have started to monitor just how much I do eat each week with the aim of cutting down my meat consumption.

Flying less will be the hardest personal challenge - I just can't help wanting to escape from here to warmer climes when I feel like it.

I don't drive much really and don't see how I could cut down significantly.

The cue has been back in the rack for a long while now, so the not having more children is no issue.

Anyone else thinking about these issues and consciously changing the way they live?

On 2/28/2020, 2:13:38, Aussiedog said:

According to him, there are 4 areas we could and should all look at if we wanted to decrease our personal carbon/greenhouse gas footprint.

1. Have fewer children

2. Fly less

3. Drive less

4. Eat less meat

There are much easier ways to reduce your carbon footprint: reduce your internet and smartphone use and don't use 5G (on its own, the annual carbon emissions from youtube usage is equivalent to 2 million passenger cars), stop buying so many clothes (the fashion industry consumes more energy than aviation and shipping combined), stop buying coffee from Starbucks, Costa, etc (estimates on the CO2 footprint from annual Starbucks milk use alone is the equivalent of 1.6 billion miles driven by an average passenger car. Add in the other products they sell, the vehicle miles to deliver, the electricity consumed in their stores,...) + many more daily changes that you can much more easily and with much less 'pain' introduce and make a bigger difference than those he proposes.

It Hit 80 Degrees in the Arctic This Week

This story will provide important context for the headline, and I encourage you to read it—but really, the headline tells you what you need to know: It was 80 degrees Fahrenheit above the Arctic Circle this week.

A little farther south, in Siberia—you know, the region of world we reference when we want to connote something cold—it was 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Arctic sea ice in the neighboring Kara Sea took the deepest May nose dive ever recorded. Oh, and random swaths of the region are on fire. Things are extremely wrong.

Let’s start with the heat above Arctic Circle. Mika Rantanen, a researcher at the Finnish Meteorological Institute, flagged a map showing blistering heat across western Siberia. The region has been the epicenter of an explosive heat wave that has rippled across the Arctic this week. Models forecast temperatures there will be as much as 36 degrees Fahrenheit above normal for this time of year. The heat could break a bit by the middle of next week, but widespread warmth will continue to grip the region.

There's More...

On 2/28/2020, 2:13:38, Aussiedog said:

1. Have fewer children

2. Fly less

3. Drive less

4. Eat less meat

This a global hipster trend of "simpler living", "Degrowth" and "Luddism". Just one more crazy idea from the far left.

If we have fewer children, who supports the pension system? Of course the hipster will reply "my parents".

In general, this type of thoughts are just a distraction, the main polluters are independent of our personal choices. Even if you had all the people in the world going with these principles, it would not make much difference, so why the fuck should we sacrifice ourselves?

It is also a tactic shared with religion: the Guilt Culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilt-shame-fear_spectrum_of_cultures

Anyone else thinking about these issues and consciously changing the way they live?

Sure, bought an electric car. Not only it is much more eco friendly, it is much cheaper to run. So you add ecology to a financial incentive. Then things start moving. Guarantee you this makes much more impact than eating less meat.

If you really want to fight climate change, and you can´t convince politicians to do anything, just buy an electric car. This is an ongoing revolution which together with huge battery banks and solar power can bring down fossil fuel emissions within a decade.

Oceans Likely to Heat up at Seven Times Their Current Rate, New Study Finds

The depths of the oceans are heating up more slowly than the surface and the air, but that will undergo a dramatic shift in the second half of the century, according to a new study. Researchers expect the rate of climate change in the deep parts of the oceans could accelerate to seven times their current rate after 2050, as The Guardian reported

Many scientists have recently been predicting that the earth will soon enter a "global cooling period". Maybe the warming oceans can offset this?

10 hours ago, Fromm said:

Many scientists have recently been predicting that the earth will soon enter a "global cooling period". Maybe the warming oceans can offset this?

Who? Please quote.