Climate change

1,951 posts in this topic

Australia bushfires: towns devastated and lives lost as blazes turn the sky red

Australia’s bushfire crisis has claimed at least two more lives, authorities confirmed on Tuesday, as dozens of fires tore through several towns on the east coast and forced thousands of people to take shelter on beaches.

Two people – a father and son – died when fire hit the New South Wales town of Cobargo on Tuesday, while emergency services officials held grave fears for a third person, near Narooma, on the state’s south coast.

In Victoria, where more than 200,000ha has burned in the state’s east, at least four people were unaccounted for. The armed forces stand ready to evacuate those sheltering on the state’s beaches if needed.

Eleven people have been confirmed dead across all states in this year’s bushfire season so far.

500 million animals have already perished in these fires. Our actions as a species in the next decade will be critical for the survival of life on Earth as we know it.

I just read that thousands of people are trapped on beaches and may have to go into the ocean to survive. Many of them are tourists. Why in the hell would a tourist go to those areas at such a time? Mind boggling.

SE Australia. WOW. What a mess.  And so much money spent on these rescues.  Makes me glad to be sitting in my little cottage here in Yerevan where some might consider it boring.

In review, The Millennium Report is an extreme right biased website that promotes pro-Russia and pro-Assad propaganda. Throughout the website there is significant anti-Clinton rhetoric with the term “Lock Her Up” used frequently. There is significant use of loaded words in headlines and articles such as this: “Here’s the proven Deep State conspiracy that will hang ’em all!” The primary source of information for this website is State of the Nation 2012, which is another extreme right conspiracy site that occasionally publishes fake news. Mostly the Millennium Report is a tin foil hat conspiracy website with themes running from Pizzagate, the New World Order to the Deep State conspiracy.

Overall, we rate The Millennium Report Questionable based on extreme right bias and promotion of propaganda and conspiracy theories. (D. Van Zandt 5/6/2018) Updated (11/8/2019)

one of many sources saying the same thing

Why don't you and j² go play in your thread?

Maybe because they'd already paid and no one had really told them about the dangers - they were played down.

10 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

In 3 hours it will be freezing cold!

Still in the office, which is freezing, This is Crete. But it´s the end of the year. Have to wait till March till I can forget conspiracy theories and pay the high electricity bills.  They don´t do insulation well here. They/we just say " ti va kavoume? " / what can we do?

Freeze!!!

I raided the wardrobe earlier today and found a poncho..not sure I  have ever worn it before (or why I ever bought it ).. Andes meets bloody freezing Crete.

I don´t like cold. Not even for one day.

What are you worrying about? Move to Canada! nothing much changes here , all you have to do is getting used to the cold. the sun shines hin und wieder.

groceries come from the US and beef and potatoes grow locally. Natural gas is abundant and social Services are generous enough to prevent starvation.

So what else is there to say?

21 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I don’t believe that climate change is a hoax.  I believe that climate change is real.  End of story for me.

No argument about the climate change. Only what causes it.

Tax on C02 certainly won't prevent it.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Omagate.   :lol:

Kids Song Inflames Culture Wars.

https://www.dw.com/en/omagate-kids-song-inflames-german-culture-wars/a-51860882

Your (not a tax) GEZ money at work.  

Anyone upset about that song needs a good slap.

What those kids and Thunberg seem to forget is my generation is not the only 1 screwing the planet.

We didn`t have handy,we didn`t spend a lot of time indoors burning electricity,we didn`t have electrical items that we disposed of rather than repaired and many more that this generation has.

35 minutes ago, jeba said:

I don´t get the commotion about that song. It´s clearly satirical. And it´s funny.

Nothing wrong with the song.

I do wonder though if the kids singing it realise it is satire.

I often wonder when I see little kids acting if they really realise stuff isn`t real especially violence and abuse,it`s no surprise some of them go off the rails when they grow up.

Oh, my! Better set up a trigger warning so the 'Oma song' doesn't upset anyone. Talk about Snowflakes!