Climate change

1,964 posts in this topic

I think it's easy to think the profi displays are better as normally you don't get a whiff of the fallout because they explode much higher in the air, and they are often quite far away from the audience vantage point.  The after-effects/mess of exploded rockets aren't visible as they blew in various directions or fell into the ocean.  They don't clean that up, in contrast to what happens after a German style display (at least in cities) where the traces are swept away within a few days.

If the wind is "wrong" though, it's just as bad if not worse than amateur displays.  I've been to profi displays where the fireworks were so heavily obscured by smoke/particulate that they really weren't worth watching, and others where I had the same lovely choking experience I've had in Germany on NYE.  

Both are absolutely filthy.  It would make me sad if they ban them but in honesty I think they really should.

11 hours ago, Anna66 said:

One thing I really hate, call me a killjoy if you wish, is fireworks. They are also bad for the environment.

Anyone remember how quiet it was in 2004 when that Tsunami hit Asia? Everyone donated towards the disaster relief.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

No. Not at all here in Munich. Some of us are still donating, though.

Well it was where our apartment was near Dantebad in Nymphenburg then.

9 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I think it's easy to think the profi displays are better as normally you don't get a whiff of the fallout because they explode much higher in the air, and they are often quite far away from the audience vantage point.  The after-effects/mess of exploded rockets aren't visible as they blew in various directions or fell into the ocean.  They don't clean that up, in contrast to what happens after a German style display (at least in cities) where the traces are swept away within a few days.

If the wind is "wrong" though, it's just as bad if not worse than amateur displays.  I've been to profi displays where the fireworks were so heavily obscured by smoke/particulate that they really weren't worth watching, and others where I had the same lovely choking experience I've had in Germany on NYE.  

Both are absolutely filthy.  It would make me sad if they ban them but in honesty I think they really should.

At the Christmas market ( if you can call it that ) in our nearest town, Ierapetra- there were a couple of stalls selling sweets, loud non- Christmasy music and some teenagers letting off firecrackers.

That was it!

Fireworks are beautiful but those firecrackers- 

Anyone else here reached "Peak Greta"? Living in the greenest country in Europe where we recycle everything from garden leaves to old TVs. I never thought I'd say this but "Get me to a McDonalds"...

Ah, Jeremy! Every time I go to the hospital in the capital city here, Heraklion, and I take a taxi afterwards to the bus station back to the village, the taxi passes McDonalds close to the bus station but the bus schedule doesn’t allow me time to eat proper junk food just once..

Just once a year, I would love proper junk food instead of , erm , proper food!😂

14 minutes ago, john g. said:

Ah, Jeremy! Every time I go to the hospital in the capital city here, Heraklion, and I take a taxi afterwards to the bus station back to the village, the taxi passes McDonalds close to the bus station but the bus schedule doesn’t allow me time to eat proper junk food just once..

Just once a year, I would love proper junk food instead of , erm , proper food!😂

John I used to be like that green hippy mother in "About a Boy" (know the film?) Always redaing my Guardian and moaning if food wasn't "eco" enough. The demands they are making are turning people away from green things. I must have dumped 20 tonnes of recycled compost on my garden and last summer made a semi-successful  bee garden. So I for one am utterly bored of the virtue signalling. 

McD's all round!

We fed a dog out in the sticks  today- basically, a skeleton. Afterwards,  I threw away the tin. I was annoyed.

Then I picked up the tin and kept it till the next rubbish container.

The locals don’t give a shit. And I didn’t either .. but then I didn’t want to sink to that level.

I don’t have any answers except:

stick to your principles

do your best at local level

moan  but then stick to your principles.

And again- stick to whatever your principles are - and definitely not what other people’s principles are. They MAY be right but they may not necessarily correspond to the principles of YOUR heart.

Ah John, I ordered this guy Jack First's book (from a local bookshop I might add):

If the weather doesn't dump sudden snow I want to build a large "hot bed" to grow early veg this year. I wish to build it in Jan/Feb. You lay a bed of horse poo and the heat makes veg grow very quick.

6 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Hessen didn't get that mild, no idea if anywhere in Germany did. We had -1 Centrigrade this morning, next week down to -4, but then that is January.

I get the impression the seasons are shifting too.

Wednesday eve it was 11°c at 2100hrs...  

Today its been in the minus all day...   was -4 at  0800 and just been to fetch some logs for the fire and its -7 out there right now!

My gut feeling is 3 or 4 days of -4 to -8 sort of temperatures... then a few inches of snow to really fuck things up!

As for some child being able to annoy one so much that they want a McDonalds is beyond me..

15 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Ah John, I ordered this guy Jack First's book (from a local bookshop I might add):

If the weather doesn't dump sudden snow I want to build a large "hot bed" to grow early veg this year. I wish to build it in Jan/Feb. You lay a bed of horse poo and the heat makes veg grow very quick.

Talk to my long deceased dad, Jeremy! He used to flog horse shit in Bow ( East London and a true Cockney! ) in c. 1935 or so. Steptoe and Son before their time!!

48 minutes ago, john g. said:

Talk to my long deceased dad, Jeremy! He used to flog horse shit in Bow ( East London and a true Cockney! ) in c. 1935 or so. Steptoe and Son before their time!!

The old Victorians were amazing John. All that horse poo on the streets was used well. Originally it was developed in France and the markets of London used to get early veg from there.

On 28/12/2019, 22:13:17, SpiderPig said:

Wednesday eve it was 11°c at 2100hrs...  

Today its been in the minus all day...   was -4 at  0800 and just been to fetch some logs for the fire and its -7 out there right now!

My gut feeling is 3 or 4 days of -4 to -8 sort of temperatures... then a few inches of snow to really fuck things up!

As for some child being able to annoy one so much that they want a McDonalds is beyond me..

+3°C was the highest it reached here, mostly sub zero though,,,

All believers of CO2 climate changers belong into a loony bin.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/your-electric-car-vegan-diet-are-pointless-virtue-signaling-fight-against-climate-change

and scroll down to the readers comments.

I could stand it a little warmer right now.

BTW, a company started to take out CO2 from the air. I wonder how soon someone is complaining about this.After all, CO2 is important for the growth of plants.