Climate change

1,951 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

@snowingagain: When I was going to school, you had to have a note from your parents if you wanted to leave the school during school hours. These little brats are in for a shock when they start working.

 

Workers do not strike?  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Krieg: Yes they do occasionally, but when they do they're usually punished for it by not being paid for the hours/days they don't work. Moreover, striking workers usually have a specific goal in mind when they go on strike, usually higher wages or better working conditions. The Fridays for Future kids' aim seem a little woolly to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

@Krieg: Yes they do occasionally, but when they do they're usually punished for it by not being paid for the hours/days they don't work.

 

The union pay.  Try again.

 

6 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

 

 

Moreover, striking workers usually have a specific goal in mind when they go on strike, usually higher wages or better working conditions. The Fridays for Future kids' aim seem a little woolly to me.

 

I thought they had one single goal, to work against climate change.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Krieg: The union pays? Well that's great for the workers who are lucky enough to belong to a union, but most workers don't.

 

As for the goal of working against climate change, like I said, that's woolly. These are clueless kids with limited life experience. How are they going to work against climate change? They're not going to; instead they're demanding that everyone else (politicians, the world of business, etc.) does so. Nor have they any clue what the economic consequences of talking climate change could be. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

@Krieg: The union pays? Well that's great for the workers who are lucky enough to belong to a union, but most workers don't.

 

If you are not in the union and you do not want to lose your income or you do not want to take risks then you do not strike. 

 

It is no rocket surgery.

 

5 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

As for the goal of working against climate change, like I said, that's woolly. These are clueless kids with limited life experience. How are they going to work against climate change? They're not going to; instead they're demanding that everyone else (politicians, the world of business, etc.) does so. Nor have they any clue what the economic consequences of talking climate change could be. 

 

First you complain because they can't do the changes themselves.  Then you proceed to complain because they ask the ones who can make the changes to start doing them.  I guess there is no way to win.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They shouldn't be bunking off school at all, that's my point. For the most part, these are impressionable, spoilt upper middle class children just jumping on the bandwagon. They should be grateful to have the chance to avail themselves of a free education (millions of children elsewhere in the world don't) rather than wasting time protesting about something they know nothing about.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

They shouldn't be bunking off school at all, that's my point. For the most part, these are impressionable, spoilt upper middle class children just jumping on the bandwagon.

 

That's very insulting.

 

20 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

They should be grateful to have the chance to avail themselves of a free education (millions of children elsewhere in the world don't) rather than wasting time protesting about something they know nothing about.

 

So because they've got better chances that other less fortunate kids they should just shut up.

 

Well, you yourself got it better than people from other less fortunate countries, so follow your own advice and shut up.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

That's very insulting.

 

 

So because they've got better chances that other less fortunate kids they should just shut up.

 

Well, you yourself got it better than people from other less fortunate countries, so follow your own advice and shut up.

We should all beware of all kinds of mass hysteria. That's exactly what the whole climate change this has turned into.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely that is the definition of bunking off?  Leaving school without permission.?

Early finish  on Friday is not umcommon here.   My 15 year old is back by 12.15.   Rules here vary from place to place.  More than a certain amount of unauthorised absence is noted in school report but it is pretty generous.  I doubt missing the occasional lesson is really going to hurt them if they do the homework. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

We should all beware of all kinds of mass hysteria. That's exactly what the whole climate change this has turned into.

 

Mass hysteria?  That's just a super mega exaggeration.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BMurphy said:

@balticus: Are the schools officially giving the pupils permission to go on these protests or are the little brats simply doing what they want, even if the school authorities are telling them not to go? Genuine question.

 

The school has purposefully obfuscated the situation.   The School Director sent out a mail which made it clear that it was not sanctioned but not to be punished.  

 

Teachers will accept absences as long as the students take a selfie at the protest and either send it to the teacher or show it to the teacher the next time class meets. 

 

I would like to correct one of the points you seem to be emphasizing.   This has nothing to do with kids being spoiled or upper middle class.    As long as the weather is nice, most kids are glad to start the weekend early and prefer to be hanging out in a park with their friends rather than attending the last class of the day.   

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krieg said:

I thought they had one single goal, to work against climate change.

 

:lol:   

 

Ever seen the signs and t-shirts with "If this was Saturday, I wouldn't be here." ?  Sums it up perfectly.    My teenager has friends who buy a crate of beer, take it to the FFF and toast to Greta for getting them out of Friday afternoon class.  

 

Most teenagers have no clue about the mechanisms of climate change, but conforming to the political views of their teachers and getting out of class gains them positive reinforcement.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

@balticus: The school in question is one your child attends, is it?

 

Yes.   My teenager's friends who go to different schools have teachers and administrators who unofficially affect the same policy.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@balticus: Is this in Germany? And you're saying that the teachers more or less encourage the pupils to go to these protests because they share the "green" ideology?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

@balticus: Is this in Germany? And you're saying that the teachers more or less encourage the pupils to go to these protests because they share the "green" ideology?

 

In Germany.   

 

Some teachers are Greens and some seem to be motivated by the reasoning that since "kids" should be able to provide input into issues that will impact them.  

 

Not sure anyone would be excused to demonstrate against using Huawei equipment to build out the 5G network or Nordstream 2 (or some other political topic with long term consequences (this is not a cue to derail the thread)).  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@balticus: I find that shocking. Schools shouldn't be places where ideologies are forced upon the pupils.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Early finish  on Friday is not umcommon here.   My 15 year old is back by 12.15.

 

This. Absolutely. Mine don't happen to have early on a Friday, but lots and lots do.

 

Kid#3 took a note for her teacher saying that I had authorised her to go to the climate thing, which I had, because she would miss half an hour of English, which is absolutely neither here nor there ;) (this teacher insists multiple sheep are, you guessed it...:lol:) but she was told that she would need a Beurlaubung for it, so she stayed in class. Which is also fine by me - I happened to be cycling past whilst it was on, and frankly it was not inspiring.

 

I don't have a problem at all with passionate people proposing behaviour which will benefit the planet and all of us, and we had indeed better get on with it, we are not just littering the local park any more, when whales are being found with stomachs full of plastic waste, but in many cases I am sure 

9 minutes ago, balticus said:

"If this was Saturday, I wouldn't be here."

this is true, and that is pointless - people will just get pissed off with it when they can see it is just another excuse for bored teenagers to skive off school.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, balticus said:

The school has purposefully obfuscated the situation.   The School Director sent out a mail which made it clear that it was not sanctioned but not to be punished.  

 

That is unambiguous.  Its being sanctioned but with a caveat that the school hopes to expect it from responsability for having sanctioned it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now