Climate change

1,948 posts in this topic

Greenland's ice sheet is losing ice seven times faster than it was in 1992 — a rate that tracks with one of the worst-case scenarios predicted by climate scientists.

According to a study published today in the journal Nature, Greenland has lost more than 4.2 trillion tons of ice since 1992. That's roughly the amount of water in Lake Michigan, or the equivalent of 1.5 billion Olympic-sized swimming pools.

This melting in Greenland has already raised seas by 0.4 inches since 1992. If the current melt rate continues, Greenland will add another 2.75 inches to global sea levels by 2100, according to Andrew Shepherd, the lead author of the study. That means more people living in coastal areas will be at risk of flooding from sea level-rise.

"The most surprising aspect by far is that the increased sea-level rise, which may seem small to most people but is enough to cause an extra 40 million people to experience annual floods," Shepherd told Business Insider. "Small changes in sea-level rise do matter."

Climate activist Greta Thunberg is Time ‘person of the year’

1000.jpeg

NEW YORK (AP) — Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg was named Time’s “person of the year” Wednesday, becoming at age 16 the youngest person to whom the U.S. magazine has given the title.

“For sounding the alarm about humanity’s predatory relationship with the only home we have, for bringing to a fragmented world a voice that transcends backgrounds and borders, for showing us all what it might look like when a new generation leads, Greta Thunberg is TIME’s 2019 Person of the Year,” the media franchise said Wednesday on its website.

54 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

"Small changes in sea-level rise do matter."

Only for people who are stupid enough to live 'close ' to the water.:lol:

3 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Climate activist Greta Thunberg is Time ‘person of the year’

1000.jpeg

Good luck to her! The young lass described as a " brat " this week by the Brazilian far-right President,  might be disappointed when he finds out she is more popular worldwide than him. 

She´s a kid and rightfully worried about the environment - her generation and even some of us older people with kids/grandkids have the right to be concerned. 

I´m talking nonsense...all of us have a right to be concerned. And really should be.

Our planet is  - realistically -  the only place we live in and will.

So now we know that to be names Time Person of the Year, you don't actually have to do anything concrete, just go around the world lecturing everyone else about what they should do. Pathetic. This child is clearly brainwashed and possibly mentally unstable to boot. Her performance at the UN was certainly odd to say the least. The only question is: who's pulling her strings? 

9 hours ago, BMurphy said:

So now we know that to be names Time Person of the Year, you don't actually have to do anything concrete, just go around the world lecturing everyone else about what they should do. Pathetic. This child is clearly brainwashed and possibly mentally unstable to boot. Her performance at the UN was certainly odd to say the least. The only question is: who's pulling her strings? 

Nobody reads Time Magazine.  ;)

9 minutes ago, balticus said:

;), yourself.  Donald J. Trump reads every cover, hoping to see his face there again.

3 hours ago, balticus said:

I actually used to have a subscription for it and quite liked it. But honouring someone who hasn't actually done anything seems strange to me.

4 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

doubters.jpg.5c1c805f8b8dd0ea6b3f85c9e4e

Yes but Greta Thunberg isn't exactly offering any solutions to the climate change "crisis", either, is she? Nor are the Fridays for Future or Extinction Rebellion protesters. Then there's the minor issue that Greta isn't a scientist...

Plus, there aren't necessarily that many people who doubt that climate change is happening, what tmany people are sceptical about is the hysteria and the misuse of the issue for political reasons (especially by those on the left). We're also not all convinced that the consequences are going to be as severe as is made out and aren't sure if there's anything we can do about it anyway. Then there's the hypocrisy of so many climate change virtue signallers.

None of them is offering solutions, but at least one has the excuse of being childish with a mental complication. I mean Trump, of course.

I don’t disagree about the virtue signallers and I don’t disagree that she isn’t talking as a scientist. 

What she is is a symbol of the new young generation who as they grow into mature adulthood will be faced by an even more scarred world than now busy depleting its finite resources.

Plus the elephant in the room - many don’t want to talk about it - is the growing world population in some parts of the world eg where organised religion will not accept contraception.

My mum  had 14 brothers and sisters in the “ good old days.” Great stuff☹️ - unnecessary now.

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

I don’t disagree about the virtue signallers and I don’t disagree that she isn’t talking as a scientist. 

What she is is a symbol of the new young generation who as they grow into mature adulthood will be faced by an even more scarred world than now busy depleting its finite resources.

Plus the elephant in the room - many don’t want to talk about it - is the growing world population in some parts of the world eg where organised religion will not accept contraception.

My mum  had 14 brothers and sisters in the “ good old days.” Great stuff☹️ - unnecessary now.

I agree with you regarding the exploding population in some parts of the world. But as regards the young people who apparently care so much about the future of their planet: let's call a spade a spade - most of them are just jumping on the bandwagon and are the product of incessant media coverage of the issue. If I were them, I'd be more worried about their chances of later finding a job that pays them a salary that will allow them to buy a house or at least pay the rent. But then again, most of the Fridays for Future kids are probably upper middle class and don't have these kind of materialstic worries - yet.

I don’t disagree there either- it is easier to be idealistic if you or your parents have money!

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

I don’t disagree there either- it is easier to be idealistic if you or your parents have money!

Absolutely, and it's always been thus. Coming from Ireland, I have to laugh when I hear about the student protests of 1968: In the 1960s, around 5% of young people in Ireland attended university. This figure was no doubt higher in some other countries but even there, those students that had the time to protest (and it was never even clear to me what they were trying to achieve anyway) were clearly very privileged people.

26 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

None of them is offering solutions, but at least one has the excuse of being childish with a mental complication. I mean Trump, of course.

Say what you like about Trump but at least he was democratically elected. Unlike Greta Thunberg, who has no political mandate whatsoever.

And exactly like Trump, grown men here bullying a teenage girl who expresses her beliefs. Why does she threaten you so much if she's just a spoiled rich kid?

Shame on you all.

4 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

Say what you like about Trump but at least he was democratically elected. Unlike Greta Thunberg, who has no political mandate whatsoever.

Yes, absolutely.  No-one beats a democratically elected person on knowledge.  Trump tops NASA, Einstein, Darwin or anyone else for this reason.  I get this.