Climate change

1,930 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, balticus said:

Nuclear.  It won't save the world but it would reduce CO2.  It isn't viable because it would reduce the amount of carbon credits / taxes.  

I think nuclear power is a good idea independent of my view that climate doomsterism does not have a sound basis.

there are 2 different systems of nuclear reactors (heavy water and thorium) and it is money again which decided which system was used.Thorium is much safer than heavy water. CO2 is a red herring.

2 hours ago, BMurphy said:

Actually, I never said that I didn't believe that climate change is real - I'm simply sick and tired of the hysteria, hyprocrisy and virtue-signalling surrounding it. I'm also worried about radical leftists like the German Greens (or the likes of Alexenadria Ocasio-Cortez in the US) hijacking the issue for political purposes.

AOC is an idiot. Her green new deal is the typical "modern left" manifest: 33% good measures, 33% bad measures, 33% demagogy. She completely fucked up a serious climate change debate by slipping into the document radical left ideas.

2 hours ago, BMurphy said:

Who are the "they" that are supposed to have brainwashed me?

Parents, family, priest, etc.

@MikeMelga: My parents, my family and priest brainwashed me into being sceptical of climate change hysteria? No, no they didn't.

With the exception of food presentation packaging, what plastic products could be removed from sale and replace with what! 

Some places (India?) have got rid of single use plastics including bin liners. That's one I've been thinking about - whether we should stop using plastic bags to contain our rubbish. I guess you would only replace them if you really needed to contain the waste. A lot of household rubbish could just go in the wheely bin. We have just abgeschaffed the kitchen bin where the inner bucket had a socking great big hole in the bottom, so now is the time for us, I suppose. The bin liner was all that was holding the crap off the floor with the old one. 

When shopping just the other day..  I noticed...

Every disposable razor is plastic in plastic... Very shower gel is presented in plastic ( We always used to use a bar of soap and it lasted ages uless you left it in the bath tub...

Deodorants have a hard plastic cap!..Why?

Honey... now arrives in plastic bottles where as glass jars were 100% easier to recycle or re-use...

Hair brushes... Are now all plastics... 

At B+Q...   Trowel sets, Hard plastics where they used to be steel with wooden handles... OK.. 3 times the price but last 10 times longer and easier to recycle...

Plant pots were just that!   Clay pots!... not fucking shite plastic!

If we, the end user start to retaliate and refuse to take this stuff home... the sooner the packaging designers will wake up!

Look at the statistics for how much co2 is produced each year by tobacco related products!

Something needs to be done by us!.. We dont need to wait... 

By all means.. buy your deo... your razors.. etc etc... but overwealm the retaier with the excessive packaging... The messgage will soon filter through!

Yeah, about that source...

electroverse_bs.JPG.69486c4db50beb2e158b

(my source)

Cap Allon is an aspiring screenwriter who graduated with a B.A. from the University of Florida in 2010. He's a guy with a blog pretending to be a scientist.

Seems to be about as credible as zerohedge and the rest of the questionable shit you post here. Go figure. Maybe you should just get a blog and post all your fiction there, like Cap Allon does.

10 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Every disposable razor is plastic in plastic

Deodorants have a hard plastic cap!..Why?

Honey... now arrives in plastic bottles

The thing about plastic is cost and weight. Costs a lot of money to ship something that's actually not your product around and also takes up valuable space. We buy Marmalade (traditional English not jam) that's made in SA. It comes in metal tins and the advantages are weight and thickness compared to glass. As for trowel handles, these are drawn or vacuum formed from molten plastic, they can knock out 1 a second possibly and again it is light. Wooden handles take time to turn and have a lot of waste that then costs to be disposed off. The only way you'll get rid of plastic is to make it uneconomic to use.

Interesting and disturbing series on Netflix 'Broken'. 

'This investigative docuseries shows how negligence and deceit in the production and marketing of popular consumer items can result in dire outcomes'. 

Includes an episode on the world plastic recycling inadequacy.

The trailer is in English 

https://www.netflix.com/de-en/title/81002391

15 hours ago, balticus said:

Nuclear.  It won't save the world but it would reduce CO2.  It isn't viable because it would reduce the amount of carbon credits / taxes.  

I'm not against nuclear, and it should be part of fossil-free mix, and in many places it already is. Even considering deaths from meltdowns, fallout and even Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it is less deadly than fossil fuels have been. This position is fringe in Germany, but is pretty run-of-the-mill in many places. Though ideally we also reach a point in the future where even nuclear is not necessary. 

It's viability has nothing to do with carbon tax conspiracies, which is more unsupported crackpottery from you.

it's viability is linked to its costs and its waste. Nuclear projects are notorious for cost overruns, NIMBYism (who can blame anyone for that?) and the necessary (IMO) government oversight/protections. You can't just switch them on and off, and they need long-term funding and close supervision, even after decommission. Where to store spent fuel? Some may be re-usable in other kinds of new reactors, but it's a problem nonetheless. It's a big investment. China is building many, but Chinese domestic workmanship and environmental concern is such that I practically expect to hear about a meltdown somewhere in China in the next 100 years.  There are different nuclear technologies, and it is easy enough to build reactors that cannot produce anything for nuclear weapons. But having to import the tech and resources also makes it pretty expensive. I don't think it will work for every place.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

The article says nothing about any effects on Earth's climate.

12 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Cap Allon is an aspiring screenwriter who graduated with a B.A. from the University of Florida in 2010. He's a guy with a blog pretending to be a scientist.

Follow the links to the NASA report referenced.   Sunspot activity or lack thereof may make things a bit chilly. 

What are your credentials?

9 hours ago, alderhill said:

I'm not against nuclear, and it should be part of fossil-free mix, and in many places it already is. Even considering deaths from meltdowns, fallout and even Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it is less deadly than fossil fuels have been. 

With respect to meltdowns like Chernobyl, the technology is 50 years beyond that.   

Hiroshima and Nagasaki had bombs dropped on them, not power plants.    Not relevant.

Though ideally we also reach a point in the future where even nuclear is not necessary. 

What do you envision?

it's viability is linked to its costs and its waste. Nuclear projects are notorious for cost overruns, NIMBYism (who can blame anyone for that?) and the necessary (IMO) government oversight/protections. You can't just switch them on and off, and they need long-term funding and close supervision, even after decommission.

Germany is shutting down its nuclear plants in favor of becoming dependent on Russia for the energy for electricity for a few generations.    Makes no sense. 

The fear created by the Green Party toward nuclear energy will push Germany into a disadvantageous position.

China is building many, but Chinese domestic workmanship and environmental concern is such that I practically expect to hear about a meltdown somewhere in China in the next 100 years.  

You worry a lot. 

There are different nuclear technologies, and it is easy enough to build reactors that cannot produce anything for nuclear weapons.

Well more importantly they produce energy without the CO2 bi-product detested by climate doomsters.

But having to import the tech and resources also makes it pretty expensive. 

Import from France.   

7 minutes ago, balticus said:

Hiroshima and Nagasaki had bombs dropped on them, not power plants.    Not relevant.

I don't disagree, but nuclear bombs are often cited as a reason to avoid nuclear.

What do you envision?

Large (let's say massive) scale battery tech has to catch up, though it's arguable if we have the resources on this planet to really do that. Solar and wind is the long-term future, like it or not. But the tech and/or implementation still has to improve.

Germany is shutting down its nuclear plants in favor of becoming dependent on Russia for the energy for electricity for a few generations.    Makes no sense. 

Don't disagree there. Fukushima caused a lot of knee-jerk.

You worry a lot.

Not really, just a simple prediction. China's quality control and safety standards are focused only on export goods (...and even then...). I'd venture that even the Chinese take nuclear safety seriously, but nonetheless China is the land of cutting corners, and there is of course zero independent oversight. Just a matter of time. 

Import from France.   

They still have to import refined/enriched uranium. And nuclear waste is still no small problem. 

18 minutes ago, alderhill said:

I don't disagree, but nuclear bombs are often cited as a reason to avoid nuclear.

That's why Thorium plants never took off: you can't make bombs with it.

18 minutes ago, alderhill said:

They still have to import refined/enriched uranium. And nuclear waste is still no small problem. 

The nuclear waste is a big problem because US banned recycling of Uranium in the 70s. And only France made a big bet on it.

10 hours ago, alderhill said:

Solar and wind is the long-term future, like it or not. 

I would suggest that Germany and the more than half trillion euro Energiewende shows that there is still a long way to go with solar and wind.

This is a short clip of Bill Gates describing the battery problem.   The 36 minute discussion is worth watching.  He believes that climate change is aomething that needs to be addressed.

10 hours ago, alderhill said:

For Germany:  Buy fuel from the French.  Sell waste to the French.   There are companies like Framatome to provide those services.  

According to this very interesting report below (see link) methane gas is also contributing greatly to climate change.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50708544

A large pocket has been found in the south Sudan wetlands (see link above)

Would it not be a good idea to produce energy from methane gas? We all produce large amounts of it ourselves, and recycling poop has been on the cards before. Anything that rots produces this gas. Maybe installing warm pump heating systems into homes of the future?