Climate change

2,018 posts in this topic

@ Small Town Boy

There may be elements of pollution which might have an effect on global warming but they are not the same issue. I have never argued that reducing pollution is not a good thing.

As a general principle, do you think it's a good thing to interfere with things you do not fully understand?

Weather patterns are cahgning everywhere. - were you in Europe this summer or have you forgotten already ??? What about the increasing number of hurricanse in the atlantic in recent years?

I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt but this settles it: you are not worth arguing with.

Yes, you stated a bunch of incidents and then attributed them catagorically and 100% to global warming, so I used the same logic.

That was your assumption - I didn't say that. I think its fair to assume that if you accept global warming exists then it contributed to the magnitude of Katrina ??

Why, for example, was the year after Katrina (which hit right next to my home city) so lacking all the doomsday hurricanes that were predicted?

Statistical variation. Plus its a La Nina year.

Is global warming happening? I would say most likely. Is it the sole cause behind every change in the weather? Absolutely not. Should something be done to clean our air? Sure Will it? Not any time soon.

fair enough. though you are being defeatist

As a general principle, do you think it's a good thing to interfere with things you do not fully understand?

I hope you realise that statement is probably more suitable coming from the eco side than the "global warming isn't our fault" camp

I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt but this settles it: you are not worth arguing with.

We were arguing? I think you;ll find I was arguing with worm. I was ignoring you cos I could only handle one close minded relgiious person at once.

Oil doesn't need to be the foundation for development of nations. Plenty of money to be made as well as the development of nations based around greener technologies.

In the meantime millions will continue to die from lack of clean water. Which is a genuine crisis happening right now. If the eco people gave a shit they'd be doing something about that. It's all a cover for neo-malthusianism.

Who'd ever get laid if they followed this advice?

In the meantime millions will continue to die from lack of clean water.

Not to mention AIDS and cancer...what's your point?

That was your assumption - I didn't say that. I think its fair to assume that if you accept global warming exists then it contributed to the magnitude of Katrina ??

Its possible, although a stronger hurricane (Labor Day) hit the Gulf Coast in 1935, (and in so hurricanes of this magnitude are definately not reliant on this phenomena). There has been a worrisome rise of cat 5s, i'll grant you that - but isolating this recent variation and attributing it completely on (man made) global warming is not 100% absolute. I am curious prior to recent years what our capacity for recording storms that did not make landfall is..

fair enough. though you are being defeatist

Well the human race hasn't particularly given me hope for optimism.

Statistical variation. Plus its a La Nina year.

but then isn't everything a statistical variation? I dont understand your argument

Well the human race hasn't particularly given me hope for optimism.

Me either - but fuck em :)

but then isn't everything a statistical variation? I dont understand your argument

Clearly

@ Timmeh

The point is that the eco-types are spreading fear of theoretical future death to further their own agenda while actively trying to stop countries developing, which would prevent huge numbers of deaths immediately.

This really isn't exclusive to "eco-types", its a basic tool to get your views adopted. Claim that ignoring them will lead to catastrophic death. It just so happens its evil to market fear from brown terrorists when you have nice big explosions over something as abstract as climate change. People have short attention spans and if movies have taught us anything, they are impressed by large explosions.

The point is that the eco-types are spreading fear of theoretical future death to further their own agenda while actively trying to stop countries developing, which would prevent huge numbers of deaths immediately.

Who is trying to stop countries developing? What would this eco agenda be? Can you expand a bit on these please?

The eco-agenda is a belief that there should be less humans on the planet.

A specific example is the successful campaign to persuade the World Bank to stop supporting the Narmada Dam in India.

And that brings the thread to a successful close, with one for the affirmative saying "even if it's real, I don't give a shit", and another now invoking conspiracy theories.

yes thats right, if people dont agree with you its the end of the discussion! Hooray!

Environmental and human concerns have also led to international lending institutions pulling out of the project.

The World Bank withdrew from the project six years ago, in a move that was seen as a breakthrough by anti-dam activists.

Link.

yes thats right, if people dont agree with you its the end of the discussion! Hooray!

well see here I thought a discussion meant a reasoned consideration of the evidence by both sides. Yourself and wheel just disagree with everyinthg on the 'eco' side without analysis. this has not been a discussion its an argument.