Climate change

2,126 posts in this topic

315 billion-tonne iceberg breaks off Antarctica

The Amery Ice Shelf in Antarctica has just produced its biggest iceberg in more than 50 years.

The calved block covers 1,636 sq km in area - a little smaller than Scotland's Isle of Skye - and is called D28.

The scale of the berg means it will have to be monitored and tracked because it could in future pose a hazard to shipping.

Not since the early 1960s has Amery calved a bigger iceberg. That was a whopping 9,000 sq km in area.

Amery is the third largest ice shelf in Antarctica, and is a key drainage channel for the east of the continent.

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

Utterly brilliant!

Telling the same (unfunny) joke over and over again in different accents? I always suspected you were easily amused, but jeez...

Wonder if Jeffo would attend this comedy evening?

If the evening also featured some funny comics, I would. Unlike you, who never gets out of the house and has to post stock photos of his imaginary travels.

#travelswithjeremy

5 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

If the evening also featured some funny comics, I would. Unlike you, who never gets out of the house and has to post stock photos of his imaginary travels.

"Never gets out of the house?" According to Laura of the C25K runners' podcast when you reach Week Seven you are now a runner. it's taken me since July when I bought a pair of new trail shoes, and we've had interruptions in between, but I'm there. 

I have to rush to ski these Alps because they'll all vanish in a decade eh?

On a more serious note, did anyone catch that about the Bark Beetle (Borkenkäfer) eating up all the trees in central Germany this last two years (because...climate change of course). Now i did have a cursory check and one of the causes of the dieback is the problem that the species of tree planted is intended for colder climates, so when there is a slight rise in temperature (we are leaving the solar minimum) the trees are left vulnerable.

Ah, the podcast tells you you're a runner. Splendid. I can't wait to see your action photos. I imagine they'd look a little like this:

j2marathon.jpg.44bbb9dc3e21b2b10c83deeac

#travelswithjeremy

Have you got nothing better to do than rubbish like that? I have just been busy doing the normal work women do - cleaning toilets. No big deal. Are your toilets clean and if not when did you last clean them? I don't like it but I put on some podcast and get on with it.

So, answer this Photoshop man - do you clean your own toilets?

1 minute ago, jeremytwo said:

I have just been busy doing the normal work women do - cleaning toilets.

Oh dear ...

26 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Cleaning a toilet takes 2 whole minutes. BFD.

Yeah, such a drama queen.

9 hours ago, Krieg said:
10 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

I have just been busy doing the normal work women do - cleaning toilets.

Oh dear ...

What a tool.

BTW, where ya Big Boom, boy? :D:D

18 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Cleaning a toilet takes 2 whole minutes. BFD.

Not if your house has 15 bathrooms and they are all at least a three-minute walk from each other.

Sadly, I don't have that problem.

1. Just because you never understood what they were doesn't mean others didn't.

2. You're quoting an article from 2012, the Paris Accords were ratified in 2016. The seven years since 2012 have been the seven hottest years since temperature recording began.

3. You're not going to convince anyone by linking to a biased rag like the American Stinker.

american_stinker_bias.JPG.6395138e2ff3a7

(source)

Another own goal for j²

Thanks for providing context, @El Jeffo!

Unfortunately, big corporations and pressure groups have learned that spreading doubt is enough for harmful business models continue to operate with little disturbance.

Ah...

Overall, we rate the American Thinker, Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of conspiracy theories/pseudoscience, use of poor sources and failed fact checks. (7/18/2016) (M. Huitsing 1/1/2019)

So obviously the person rating the site has a left wing bias. Hardly objective.

American Thinker (affectionately nicknamed "American Stinker" by its fans) is an online wingnut publication that's more or less the poor man's WND or Newsmax. They've published articles by such conservative luminaries as Noel Sheppard (NewsBusters) and Pamela Geller and such climate "experts" as S. Fred Singer and Christopher Monckton, as well as an interview with (and hagiography of) white nationalist Jared Taylor.[2]

The magazine, of course, is chock-full of right-wing conspiracy theories, woo, and pseudoscience. On the conspiracy side, they promote birtherism, "creeping sharia," red-baiting, and still occasionally prattle on about Vince Foster. On the science side, they concentrate on creationism and global warming denialism.

Here is Extinction Rebellion carrying out an attack in London using fake blood. Unfortunately it didn't go well...

So obviously the person rating the site has a left wing bias. Hardly objective.

5d961e5edaacb_8881.jpg.0c13493f5225101f1

You tell 'em, Skinner²