Climate change

2,126 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Lot of narratives in west are driven by idea of "being a savior".

First create some fear and then some savior shows up.

Greta is no savior and world is not that bad a place to live as of now.

In future, we will figure out some technological solution to climate problems.

Until then please stay vegetarian. And stop using toilet paper (use water instead).

I do both the above things and that is sufficient for my contribution.

Biodegradable toilet paper is more green than wasting water.

33 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

First of all, you doofus, she has been nominated for a Nobel and she already won that "alternative Nobel" called the Right Livelihood Award. Read some goddammed real news and be fully informed before someone stages an intervention.

@bramble I know this is going to be a hard thing to read, but your sources are suspect. First of all "Quillette" is about as yutzy as you can get. Really, the paper of record for the "Intellectual Dark Web"? Pathetic. And the Washington Examiner, well, sadly for you, they have just been proven to have cherry-picked data on climate change. They have an agenda and it is not a good one.

29 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Aaaaahhhh it burns!!!!!

There are cherry pickers on both sides. I'm all for doing good for the planet. What I don't like is how this girl is being used. She is the one who is being burned. 

Just now, bramble said:

There are cherry pickers on both sides. I'm all for doing good for the planet. What I don't like is how this girl is being used. She is the one who is being burnt. 

As I said before, some may see it that way. Others of us see it as a young person finding her full power and passion in life. That is a beautiful thing.

11 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

As I said before, some may see it that way. Others of us see it as a young person finding her full power and passion in life. That is a beautiful thing.

Like Joan of Arc?

10 minutes ago, bramble said:

Like Joan of Arc?

Who did this to you? Who made you so cynical and jaded? That is so sad. I am so sorry for you.

21 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

There are more than 100 enviornmentalists who are murdered every year according to some online reports.

In developing countries like India or Africa, people are killed by some capitalists if there is too much irritation to rich people's vested interests.

Most TTers had a sheltered life and have no idea about how is in other parts of the world, they only complain but fail to understand how difficult it is to do something about it when you are a normal person and the government is rotten to the core and you can get killed just by saying something against them.  At least here they do not kill us for saying what we think.

Just an example of dirty politics that happened this week.   Camilo Romero is the governor or a state in Colombia called Nariño, he is an environmentalist and he was invited to talk in the Climate Week in New York, his speech was going to be against the extended used of Glyphosate in the war on drugs and against fracking which most probably will start in Colombia soon.   For unknown reasons USA canceled his visa in the very last minute so he couldn't travel.

https://twitter.com/CamiloRomero/status/1176257330327031808?s=20

13 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Who did this to you? Who made you so cynical and jaded? That is so sad. I am so sorry for you.

What an uncalled for cynical comment. I have been asking myself the same of you for a while actually. Look in the mirror. 

38 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Indeed...

23 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Who dominates the "I hate Trump waaaaah!" thread?

52 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Biodegradable toilet paper is more green than wasting water.

thats factually wrong

govt should stop providing potable water for sanitation

40 minutes ago, bramble said:

What an uncalled for cynical comment. I have been asking myself the same of you for a while actually. Look in the mirror. 

I think your haranguing of Greta Thunberg's parents is uncalled for and cynical. I told you so. I'm sorry you are so sensitive about being shown your own hypocrisy.

24 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Who dominates the "I hate Trump waaaaah!" thread?

Actually, by statistic, you do.

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

Here is Greta's well-adjusted mother. Of course we amateur occultists recognise the one eye symbolism.

She had a career as an international singer or dancer or I don't know what, traveling around the world.  When his daughter started her fight she quit her career because of the permanent traveling by plane which was not consistent with her daughter views.  Now you want to crucify her because she bought a frozen pizza.  The typical right wing mentality that someone trying to solve a problem is useless because it won't solve 100% the problem.

39 minutes ago, Krieg said:

someone trying to solve a problem is useless because it won't solve 100% the problem.

Using a child to deliver a political message which essentially sets industrial policy and has the potential to reconfigure supply chains across the globe is a pure appeal to emotion.     It is comparable to combatants using children as human shields. 

Greta is organizing protests and making speeches to audiences which are very friendly.   She claims that we are on the verge of a "mass extinction".    There is no scientific basis for such a hyperbolic claim.    She is not asking people to look at the science or read the IPCC reports, she is advocating blind faith.   

I look forward to seeing how much support she continues to receive as her lawsuit against Germany, France, Turkey, Brazil and Argentina goes forward.    

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/23/world/united-nations-greta-thunberg-children-climate-change-human-rights-complaint/index.html

@bramble - i would go with Chauncy Gardner from the movie "Being There" rather than Joan of Arc.   

6 minutes ago, balticus said:

I look forward to seeing how much support she continues to receive as her lawsuit against Germany, France, Turkey, Brazil and Argentina goes forward.    

You forgot to add China, er....which is the worst. Or rather she omitted China.

Breaking: Greta's parents have been reported to child protection agencies in Sweden.

We must not attack Greta. She is being used by her handlers. It is her handlers who need to be denounced.

11 minutes ago, balticus said:

Using a child to deliver a political message which essentially sets industrial policy and has the potential to reconfigure supply chains across the globe is a pure appeal to emotion.     It is comparable to combatants using children as human shields.

As far as I have seen, the mother is not using the kid, she is just supporting the kid.  You have to think that the kid is mildly autistic and climate change became an obsession to her.   The mother is doing what any parent with an autistic kid would do, support the kid.

Greta is organizing protests and making speeches to audiences which are very friendly.   She claims that we are on the verge of a "mass extinction".    There is no scientific basis for such a hyperbolic claim.    She is not asking people to look at the science or read the IPCC reports, she is advocating blind faith.

Let's Google those words.

Google: are we on a verge to mass extinction

It seems like we should consider it.  And anyway, common sense says we are destroying the planet and we have an economic system based on permanent growth but resources are limited, we are increasing the population too fast, etc.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/23/world/united-nations-greta-thunberg-children-climate-change-human-rights-complaint/index.html

@bramble - i would go with Chauncy Gardner from the movie "Being There" rather than Joan of Arc.   

In my opinion she is creating awareness in kids and that's very positive.  I can see already changes in kids attitude and kids forcing their parents to make changes in their lifestyle.    

1 minute ago, jeremytwo said:

Breaking: Greta's parents have been reported to child protection agencies in Sweden.

Link?

14 minutes ago, Krieg said:

As far as I have seen, the mother is not using the kid, she is just supporting the kid.  You have to think that the kid is mildly autistic and climate change became an obsession to her.   The mother is doing what any parent with an autistic kid would do, support the kid.

I have not said anything specifically about the mother.   The movement will squeeze everything they can out of her and discard her when she goes off-script or becomes ineffective. 

For a kid who has had anxiety and eating problems, the rise might be a big ego booster, but when she falls out of favor, it might be very bad for her health.   

It seems like we should consider it.  And anyway, common sense says we are destroying the planet and we have an economic system based on permanent growth but resources are limited, we are increasing the population too fast, etc.

As you know, the number of predictions of doom coming out of the Climate Change camp is too numerous to  count.  

There was David Viner, for example, who claimed in March, 2000 that the next generation of kids in the UK would view snow as a rare event.    Many politicos in the US have set the clock at 12 years until the coming apocalypse.  

Being pro-environment and anti-hysteria is a common sense position.   Taking policy advice from a 16 year old who speaks in platitudes is going to seem very strange 3-5 years from now.  

In my opinion she is creating awareness in kids and that's very positive.  I can see already changes in kids attitude and kids forcing their parents to make changes in their lifestyle.    

What kind of lifestyle changes?   

When the German auto industry starts to worry about the effect of climate awareness on sales or there are stories about increases in train and bus frequency to absorb the new public transport advocates, i.e. changes in production and service offerings to accomodate behavior changes, i will find it interesting.   

1 minute ago, balticus said:

For a kid who has had anxiety and eating problems, the rise might be a big ego booster, but when she falls out of favor, it might be very bad for her health.   

I think you should go and google "autism for dummies" or something like that.  It is OK, what people normally knows about autism is very little, you can see it right now, she is being criticised because of her facial expressions and the way she talks, someone here even compare her to Hitler.   Of course she can't behave like a neurotypical because she is not.   

As you know, the number of predictions of doom coming out of the Climate Change camp is too numerous to  count. 

Then do not talk about predictions but about things we already did.   We killed like half of the animal population already.    I guess you think we are not in a verge or mass extinction because the human population is still growing.  You think mass extinction is about human beings only.

What kind of lifestyle changes?

For us mostly has been drastically reducing the use of plastic, long flights and diet changes.   I guess you will come with the "that's not really the problem" argument.  The typical "WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS ON AFRICA??? THINK ABOUT THEM" argument.

I've seen families in both classes where my kids are being affected in the same way, we even joke about it.

When the German auto industry starts to worry about the effect of climate awareness on sales or there are stories about increases in train and bus frequency to absorb the new public transport advocates, i.e. changes in production and service offerings to accomodate behavior changes, i will find it interesting.  

Oh I see, the WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS IN AFRICA?? argument.  I see.

P.S., Vienna already implemented the super-cheap public transport train monthly pass long time ago and currently there are proposals in Berlin to reduce it to 365€ a year.   But even if that's approved, I guess ... KIDS IN AFRICA!!! HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THEM???

38 minutes ago, Krieg said:

humans will die out, guaranteed.. a virus or maybe yellow stone will go off, but for sure we will be gone one day...but one thing I can assure you Krieg is the Earth will not be destroyed by us, She will just clean up the mess  after we are gone,

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

I think your haranguing of Greta Thunberg's parents is uncalled for and cynical. I

I didn't actually. I merely pointed to the book her mother wrote about the family's torment before Greta started her protests. The history of this family's mental ordeal, which was new to me, is heartbreaking. Her parents are probably being used as well, by whomever suits their political agenda. It's saddening. It seems to me you would rather it is all swept under the carpet. 

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

I'm sorry you are so sensitive about being shown your own hypocrisy.

Sensitive? How can I be? I'm not a hypocrite, unlike some. I don't twist facts, either, about what people said.