Climate change

2,136 posts in this topic

Sorry John I wasn't clear. My great grandfather had to leave Yorkshire in 1900 and our family has been in Wales since then. Even tough we were still regarded as "outsiders". i lived in this village till 10 then we moved to Colwyn Bay (bit snooty place) then at 17 back to Llanfairfechan.

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

Wales is theoretically independent, Jeremy?

John, you can only be a free country if you have your own currency imho. Of all the evil things Thatcher did to the UK the one thing she got right was keeping the pound.

Somebodys got to do it.

'Somebody's got to do it.'

French president Emmanuel Macron says Greta Thunberg's 'radical' stance will 'antagonize societies' after she filed a lawsuit against France for its inaction on global warming

https://www.businessinsider.de/french-president-reacts-to-greta-thunbergs-climate-change-lawsuit-2019-9?r=US&IR=T

The complaint alleges that the inaction of Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, and Turkey in regards to global warming violated the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

4 hours ago, balticus said:

The complaint alleges that the inaction of Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, and Turkey in regards to global warming violated the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

First the problem is the definition isn't correct - "global warming" is no longer used, it is "climate change". The second is that the biggest world polluter China is omitted.

Despite my own concern for the planet, I despise the hype surrounding Greta Thunberg. She is still very young and to me it seems that she is being used and abused. Abuse of a minor. The people responsible for this abuse should be ashamed of themselves. 

36 minutes ago, bramble said:

Despite my own concern for the planet, I despise the hype surrounding Greta Thunberg. She is still very young and to me it seems that she is being used and abused. Abuse of a minor. The people responsible for this abuse should be ashamed of themselves. 

Why do you think she's being used and abused? Interested to hear your opinion. I haven't been following it closely. She's clearly very young, but strikes me as quite smart. There can't be many people who are A so eloquent and B in a foreign language, let alone at that age.

17 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

Why do you think she's being used and abused? Interested to hear your opinion. I haven't been following it all closely.

Because she is still so young. Puberty is an unsettling process. Who organises all the trips, speeches and so on? I do think she is passionate about the whole thing, but I also feel she (and her young followers) is being manipulated by whomever. I feel it is wrong to use people so young like this. 

I have been checking up a bit about Greta Thunberg since yesterday and found out that her mother had written a book about the family, which was published just before Greta's first school strike. It's called "Scenes from the heart". I've read a few reviews and apparently Greta has several disorders, a life-threatening eating disorder from an early age, diagnosis of Asperberger, OCD. Her younger sister also suffers from similar disorders including ADHS. The mother reveals that she herself was also diagnosed with Asperger at a later stage in life. The whole family has suffered traumatic years of coping with the handicaps of both daughters. There's more about the whole drama including a doom and gloom attitude pervading the family's life for years, which reinforces my original reservations that something is very wrong with the whole hype surrounding this girl, which can only be further damaging to her in the long run. 

Greta is eleven years old and has gone two months without eating. Her heart rate and blood pressure show clear signs of starvation. She has stopped speaking to anyone but her parents and younger sister, Beata. 

After years of depression, eating disorders, and anxiety attacks, she finally receives a medical diagnosis: Asperger’s syndrome, high-functioning autism, and OCD. She also suffers from selective mutism—which explains why she sometimes can’t speak to anyone outside her closest family. When she wants to tell a climate researcher that she plans a school strike on behalf of the environment, she speaks through her father.

But adults have a moral obligation to remain adults in relation to children and not be carried away by emotions, icons, selfies, images of mass protests, or messianic or revolutionary dreams.

Greta was recently named ”Woman of the Year” by a Swedish newspaper. But she is not a woman, she is a child. It is time we stopped to ask if we are using her, failing her, and even sacrificing her, for what we perceive to be a greater good.

https://quillette.com/2019/04/23/self-harm-versus-the-greater-good-greta-thunberg-and-child-activism/

Here's another article expressing similar reservations:  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/this-greta-thunberg-thing-is-child-abuse

The case of Thunberg is even more egregious. She began suffering from depression as a child, by her own admission, in part because she learned about climate change at age 8. She was later diagnosed with autism and obsessive compulsive disorder and gradually became despondent as she obsessed over her fear of climate change. She developed mutism and an eating disorder so severe that she once went two months without food, and she stopped going to school. Her only sibling, a sister named Beata, also suffers from Asperger's and OCD, as well as ADHD.

Now tell me, does it seem healthy to place a child with this many mental illnesses under the spotlight of public scrutiny, with a sole focus on the very phenomenon and associated alarmism that triggered her in the first place?

Well, I bet that Nobel Prize nomination and the fact that all but the most cynical adult bullies take her at her word are going to go a long way in helping her feel that she has purpose. SMDH at adults who just grind on this kid. We should all have her passion.

18 hours ago, bramble said:

Despite my own concern for the planet, I despise the hype surrounding Greta Thunberg. 

18 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Why do you think she's being used and abused? 

17 hours ago, bramble said:

Because she is still so young. 

Here is who is behind Greta Thunberg - Bill and Melinda Gates' "One Foundation" with George Soros.

7 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Well, I bet that Nobel Prize nomination 

It is not a Nobel Prize, it is the alternative Nobel Prize, also being potentially awarded to real women in the developing world who are genuine pioneers (I believe one is an African lady). as an aside, the original Nobel was called into question after it was awarded to Barack Obama who received it within a week of his presidency but then proceeded to bomb six countries including Somalia and Libya (causing the refugee crisis).

16 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

It is not a Nobel Prize, it is the alternative Nobel Prize, also being potentially awarded to real women in the developing world who are genuine pioneers (I believe one is an African lady). as an aside, the original Nobel was called into question after it was awarded to Barack Obama who received it within a week of his presidency but then proceeded to bomb six countries including Somalia and Libya (causing the refugee crisis).

First of all, you doofus, she has been nominated for a Nobel and she already won that "alternative Nobel" called the Right Livelihood Award. Read some goddammed real news and be fully informed before someone stages an intervention.

@bramble I know this is going to be a hard thing to read, but your sources are suspect. First of all "Quillette" is about as yutzy as you can get. Really, the paper of record for the "Intellectual Dark Web"? Pathetic. And the Washington Examiner, well, sadly for you, they have just been proven to have cherry-picked data on climate change. They have an agenda and it is not a good one.

19 hours ago, bramble said:

There are more than 100 enviornmentalists who are murdered every year according to some online reports.

In developing countries like India or Africa, people are killed by some capitalists if there is too much irritation to rich people's vested interests.

What Greta is doing is nice. But it is not practical. 

If govt increases power rates to 50 cents per unit in Germany (clean energy is def. not cheap as of today) then the govt goes out of power.

Some of the data quoted by Greta can also be questioned.

Younger kids should start devoting time on science and tech and develop some solutions. My fear is that people her age are detached from science and tech and are just becoming superficial agitators. Does not help in long term.

Lot of narratives in west are driven by idea of "being a savior".

First create some fear and then some savior shows up.

Greta is no savior and world is not that bad a place to live as of now.

In future, we will figure out some technological solution to climate problems.

Until then please stay vegetarian. And stop using toilet paper (use water instead).

I do both the above things and that is sufficient for my contribution.

Here is Greta's well-adjusted mother. Of course we amateur occultists recognise the one eye symbolism.