Climate change

2,019 posts in this topic

yeah. sorry, im just different from you. In truth i find it hard to get myself into a lather about people living in bangladesh who will be born in the future. In much the same way that they couldnt give a fuck about me or my children

This is pretty dispicable. you are basically saying " I'll live as wastefully as I want cos it will only effect other people"

Its also wrong. Global warmign is already having its effects. People in Bangladesh are already affected. Weather patterns are cahgning everywhere. - were you in Europe this summer or have you forgotten already ??? What about the increasing number of hurricanse in the atlantic in recent years? Who knows worm the next Katrina might happen near you or people you care about.

worm is a suitable user name by the way

Small Boy, you're venom goes to prove my point. If you are so willing to ignore the work of one of the most respected scientists in this area, what will it take to shake your belief ?? I guess frostbite in June..

Actually Bangladesh is affected by erosion caused by the cutting down of forests in India. Without that they would not be in nearly such a bad spot.

@meckle

so it was cloudy for much of the summer, like a lot of other summers I remember seeing as I live in england. I see global warming has led to a nice heavy snowfall this year already

This is pretty dispicable. you are basically saying " I'll live as wastefully as I want cos it will only effect other people"

Its also wrong. Global warmign is already having its effects. People in Bangladesh are already affected. Weather patterns are cahgning everywhere. - were you in Europe this summer or have you forgotten already ??? What about the increasing number of hurricanse in the atlantic in recent years? Who knows worm the next Katrina might happen near you or people you care about.

worm is a suitable user name by the way

We are polluting the environment. The above statement is a cancer on the English language.

Therefore, global warming is also a cause of degredation in grammer and punctuation. Quod erat demonstrandum.

What if we get global warming sorted out but there is a massive volcanic eruption or a massive meteor hit? Should we start investing in technologies that would help negate such catastrophes?

The reason for the question is that a number of people are advocating all sorts to prevent "global warming" which is as inevitable as the two scenarios in the question I have posed, so what should we do about the other two "inevitable" scenarios?

Develop FTL travel and colonize other planets, but since we are too busy killing each other over the last drops of resources and whose mythical imaginary friend is best, we should just sit back and enjoy the ride.

One of these things is created by human actions...we can change that. A Meteor or volcano is a natural event we have no control over whatsoever.

Pollution isn't global warming.

That's not much of an explanation. It's just a statement that you haven't backed up.

@Canaryman: Climatic changes resulting from volcanic eruptions are pretty short-term (a few years). Arguing that there's no point doing anything about climate change because a meteorite may kill us all in the meantime represents a new low in this debate.

Worse?? How can reducing pollution make the world a less pleasant place to live in? Pray explain yourself.

Raindrop reflection.

SMT I did not say there is "no point" or allude to it. The question posed is about seeing if anyone had a serious answer to a serious and "invevitable" threat.

Professor Reed Bryson of the University of Wisconsin, and often considered to be one of the fathers of Scientific Climatology said recently of Gores movie "It is not science; it is simply not true". Noting at length that the world has been coming out of a Little Ice Age for 300 years and that there is no credible evidence that it is due to mankind and carbon dioxide. Noting that mans contribution to the modest amount of global warming that has taken place in recent years is "tiny at best" and is "like thereis an elephant charging in and you worry about the fly that sits on his head".

Professor Reid Bryson was a proponent of global _cooling_, back in the 70's. Here's a quote from him, back then:

There is very important climatic change going on right now, and it’s not merely something of academic interest.

One of these things is created by human actions...we can change that. A Meteor or volcano is a natural event we have no control over whatsoever.

Assuming for one implausably hypothetical moment that we convince the western world (especially the US) to significantly reduce fossil fuels, how do you propose the rapidly industrializing billion plus population of china (not to mention india) to regulate themselves?

The eco-loons proposed solution is to prevent under-developed countries from developing. Of course this is very convenient for them, but condemns millions to die from preventable diseases in the next few years, rather than possibly being affected by global warming in the next 100 years.

@meckle

so it was cloudy for much of the summer, like a lot of other summers I remember seeing as I live in england. I see global warming has led to a nice heavy snowfall this year already

No it wasn't just cloudy for the summer. It was the wettest summer in Northern Europe on record - over 360 years. Not quite the same. Are you deliberatley being flippant. I think you might be trolling.

We are polluting the environment. The above statement is a cancer on the English language.

Therefore, global warming is also a cause of degredation in grammer and punctuation. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Is there a point buried somewhere in all that sarcasm?

What if we get global warming sorted out but there is a massive volcanic eruption or a massive meteor hit? Should we start investing in technologies that would help negate such catastrophes?

The reason for the question is that a number of people are advocating all sorts to prevent "global warming" which is as inevitable as the two scenarios in the question I have posed, so what should we do about the other two "inevitable" scenarios?

Well yeah I do think we should be able to shoot down meteorites - can't be that hard to modify some intercontinental nukes and give them a useful purpose. Not much you can do about vlocanoes but it sure would be nice to be able to predict them - i guess we should work on that.

Is there a point buried somewhere in all that sarcasm?

Yes, you stated a bunch of incidents and then attributed them catagorically and 100% to global warming, so I used the same logic.

Why, for example, was the year after Katrina (which hit right next to my home city) so lacking all the doomsday hurricanes that were predicted?

Is global warming happening? I would say most likely. Is it the sole cause behind every change in the weather? Absolutely not. Should something be done to clean our air? Sure Will it? Not any time soon.

The eco-loons proposed solution is to prevent under-developed countries from developing. Of course this is very convenient for them, but condemns millions to die from preventable diseases in the next few years, rather than possibly being affected by global warming in the next 100 years.

Oil doesn't need to be the foundation for development of nations. Plenty of money to be made as well as the development of nations based around greener technologies. Just requires a bit more thought and consideration than these nations are most likely willing to do. It's not the easier of the two routes, but in the long run I believe it to be advantageous.