Climate change

1,955 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Recommendations to reduce one's carbon footprint are fascist.

How exactly are they 'Fascist'? Do explain.

5 hours ago, theGman said:

If that is how it is seen, then that's quite sad. Young people wanting us all to use sustainable energy, stop using plastic, eat less meat, use public transport etc etc etc. These things are all going to have to happen eventually, that is of course inevitable. Scientists are saying though that we should making this switch incredibly quickly, as we are damaging the planet at a tremendous rate. It is alarming.

Back to the stone age? Hardly. Wind power, self sufficient homes and biking to work is stone age? Why are old people so worried about stopping the gas guzzling, each to their own, throw away culture? And why the need to piss on kids who are campaigning for a greener future for themselves?

These Swedish schoolchildren are out of touch with reality.

Europe has moved most of its production (and CO2 emissions) to China. Try to protest in Bei Jing "for future" and bet how many minutes you would be able to before arrest and deportation.

I am absolutely for sustainable energy and all that, but we have to acknowledge reality. Which is: coal power in a country which produces everything.

37 minutes ago, alderhill said:

How exactly are they 'Fascist'? Do explain.

You have missed some of the history of the thread.  

El Jeffo is one of many climate doomsters on this thread who sees an existential threat  but drives a car, eats meat, and takes flights to go on vacation and believes that requests to make any lifestyle changes to minimize one's personal carbon footprint is fascist.

The loudest voices on this thread demanding that everyone buy in to the AGW doom defiantly refuse to make any major lifestyle changes. 

6 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Of course the very best way of reducing your carbon footprint is to have less or no children!

Good. I have no children, so I can drive my BMW 200 kmh and reduce carbon footprint at the same time!

6 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Good. I have no children, so I can drive my BMW 200 kmh and reduce carbon footprint at the same time!

Actually you have to divide it by the number of users. So if you have 3 kids, you divide by 5 :)

Anyway, stupid discussion to include kids on this. If we have no kids, there is no sustainability of social security.

7 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

The second best way is to live car free.

So why don't you be the perfect role model!

1 minute ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I would love to, but time is a bitch. In my current case on my commute I go from 25min with a car to 1h30 minutes without...

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

I would love to, but time is a bitch. In my current case on my commute I go from 25min with a car to 1h30 minutes without...

Is it you alone in the car or do you have to send kids?  The only reason I drive everyday is because I have to send the kids to school.  Just a bit under two years and I won't have to do it anymore, so I will go back to basics.   Or maybe e-bike or e-Motorbike.

31 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Is it you alone in the car or do you have to send kids?  The only reason I drive everyday is because I have to send the kids to school.  Just a bit under two years and I won't have to do it anymore, so I will go back to basics.   Or maybe e-bike or e-Motorbike.

I have to take the kid. 10km for a 6 year old, with no public transport closer than 1km... not feasible.

Then 11km more for the company.

Still, it could work, if Munich had a circular U-Bahn topology instead of star topology.

I did my master thesis on the topic of climate change, I can perfectly say that climate change is real and happening.

The positive feedback is on the verge to occur in a decade you can see the effects of it today.

to all

i am 27 most people are older than me

1) say if you see the same frequency of extreme hot days a decade or two before?

2) extreme events are increasing, if there is a rain it’s a high intensity torrential one, the spread of rainfall days is decreasing, more amount of rain is occurring in less days.

3) have you ever thought drought occur in this part of world, especially in Rhine delta?? Yes it occurred in 2018 in Netherlands.

4) this year most temperature records are broken for consecutive days in Netherlands, Germany, Belgium. For 3 continues days 40 + temperatures are recorded in the Netherlands, previous highest was 38.9 C.

then the actual thing I mentioned the positive feedback effect. In Siberia and northern Russia the ground is frozen throughout the year however if temperature increases as the pace now by next decade the ground will not be frozen for significant part of the year, which means the loss of constructions due to the fractures in columns due the loss in stability of the foundation.  Other impact is of carbon trapped in pores of the solidified soil is released, it further exasperates the climate change.

8 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Surprise, surprise, they want to fuck up Tesla once again!

Huh? They want cleaner cars - has nothing to do with Tesla.

Classic from Sky in Oz:

"You're selfish badly educated virtue signalling little turds". "Wake up, grow up and shut up".

9 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

This goes way back, but bottom line is that they don't want to give money to Tesla.

Governments will use the climate issue to subsidize chosen companies and to tax the sheeple.   Tesla will not be among the chosen.

The "Energiewende" is projected to cost over 500 billion €uros by 2025, resulting in expensive electricity and carbon reduction goals which are not on track to be met.    Luckily climate doom has been embraced by the German people and the government has the cover to continue pumping money into a program which has not been so effective.   Maybe they can create some jobs in eastern Germany and use the program to weaken the influence of the AfD.   

I spoke with someone who went to the FFF protest yesterday to get out of school early and to see what they were all about.   Apparently, there were 5-6 year old kids there and 8 year olds holding signs saying "Carbon Tax Now".    Pure indoctrination.   

20 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I do. I never owned a car: too much hassle with road taxes, insurance, registration, payment for garage even when I do not use it etc.

But when I need a car I rent it and then I tank it with normal gasoline, not 10% ethanol nonsense: my yearly total emissions from using a car is well below average anyway.