Climate change

1,929 posts in this topic

Didn't say that I actually disagree with you, I just disagree with all the hysteria surrounding it. Yes, there's global warming, yes I do think about trying to do environmentally beneficial things cos I feel bad about the environment, but I guess im just cynical about all the screaming headlines, and do I give a fuck about whether norwich gets flooded?

Mankind is resiliant and adaptable, and if it isn't well,,,then we're all wiped out and the world will carry on without us as if we had never existed.

Most of London is AT sea level so clearly any rises in that level is bad news. The Thames Barrier is already activated several times a year. Bangladesh, meanwhile, has a population of 150 million, and 50% of the land area is expected to be flooded with a sea level rise of one metre.

We're not only talking here about areas that will in a century's time be sitting under water, we're talking about the areas prone to flooding, which will clearly increase as sea levels rise. Norwich may not sit under water all year round, but if it floods several times a year then it becomes uninhabitable.

My point about living at 500m is not to think that it makes you immune to these effects. You're still going to be affected as populations shift and arable land disappears.

Mankind is resiliant and adaptable, and if it isn't well,,,then we're all wiped out and the world will carry on without us as if we had never existed.

And that's it? The fact that millions of species of animals and plants would also be wiped out, and that it might be our fault doesn't bother you?

I take it you don't have kids.

I'd worked that bit out. However even at 10 mm per year there are not going to be enormous population movements or appreciable flooding of arable land for the next 100 years at least.

And that's it? The fact that millions of species of animals and plants would also be wiped out, and that it might be our fault doesn't bother you?

This is absolute fucking bollocks. What is wiping out species is farming and urbanization. Global warming will have next to no impact by comparison.

Ah well, so it's alright then. Let's just carry on as normal – after all, we'll all be dead by the time the effects make themselves felt!

The selfishness of climate-change deniers never ceases to amaze me.

Hundreds of millions? Unless you can provide evidence that's pure hysteria. Think of the world's great cities - how many of them would be threatened by a rise of 1 m? Even London would only be at slightly increased risk of flooding. Nothing catastrophic.

Also, if the global warming hypothesis is correct we are too late to stop the majority of this rise already.

Um no - the experts say we still have a little time to make a difference

I like this philosophy, and shall now adopt it.

"Duh, obviously eating lead is bad for you"

"I don't like your tone, I'll now eat some"

"of course 1+1=2"

"Whether you are right or wrong is irrelevant, I will disagree!"

Sorry, the reason we have science is because the world exists in cold un-emotional facts. Things will still happen regardless of how you learned about it, and the biggest asshole in the world can still be factually correct (As I often am) and you still have to concede that.

It is called reality, and it doesn’t care about your feelings.

Quality post. Sign me up to your pamhplet please.

Didn't say that I actually disagree with you, I just disagree with all the hysteria surrounding it. Yes, there's global warming, yes I do think about trying to do environmentally beneficial things cos I feel bad about the environment, but I guess im just cynical about all the screaming headlines, and do I give a fuck about whether norwich gets flooded?

Jeebus - its not hysteria. I will grant you this - the media are attention grabbing hysteria provoking whores. But there are two issues where the headlines are accurate - global warming and bird flu. Just like the acid rain stuff wasn't hysteria, neither are they and they need to be taken seriously. (actually for that matter I think we need to get a little more serious about the risk of an asteroid impact - we're overdue one of those too if I recall accurately. we need to be able to detect them and shoot them down)

So I'm selfish because I'm attempting to inject some realism into a debate which is dominated by hysteria? See post 103 for an example.

who said Im denying it? You see, thats what I dont like, people love this topic because it gives them something to get all righteous about - like the people banging on about george bush or iraq "What? you don't accept everything I say? Then you must be retarded! In fact, everyone else is retarded except me!!!"

I know it must be irksome, but people have different opinions

And how about this, just to make the debate a bit broader. Who actually cares if there's global warming or not when pumping tonnes of poisonous gasses into the air, polluting rivers, destroying natural environments for the sake of money and all the other stupid crap that humans do is so clearly destroying the planet? Before global warming we had acid rain created by gases from dirty power stations and this is more easily scientifically proved destruction, caused by the same gases that may cause global warming. This renders this entire debate moot - the gases are bad anyway.

It is simple: Burning tonnes of fossil fuels is bad for the environment. Using lead paint is bad too, so are thousands of other chemicals we use every day. It is nothing more than basic common sense to avoid using poisonous chemicals, to conserve natural resources, use efficient transport, fart less, whatever.

well yeah , surely we'll all just change our habits and learn to live around the problem until it's stopped or reversed.

So to counter the point that this issue is being at least somewhat hyped you post a picture of the world on fire?

At least its just the southern hemisphere, a small price to pay so we can waste electricity posting on internet forums.

This is absolute fucking bollocks. What is wiping out species is farming and urbanization. Global warming will have next to no impact by comparison.

Experts disagree with you. Quite a lot of experts, actually.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...extinction.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6011102121.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_glo..._on_agriculture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_shrinkage

Next time, try to come up with something a little better than "this is bollocks". It comes across as, well, hysterical.

@worm, you might not be denying it, but you are saying "if it does turn out to be a problem and human-kind die off, then tough shit". Given there's a reasonable chance that we're the cause of the problem, that is just so anti-social that it's staggering.

@Wheel: What is the "realism" that you are trying to inject into the debate? That it might not turn out as bad as scientists fear? Well, you're absolutely right: that may indeed transpire to be the case. But that's hardly an argument for not doing anything.

Worm, don't be surprised, global warming is a new religion, replete with its own mantras (the world is becoming warmer every day and we are all going to die), its own high priests(Al Gore and David Suzuki), its own sacraments (homage to the UN's report on global warming) and its own gospel( An Inconvenient Truth). If you don't agree you are summarily excommunicated.

Interesting then to note that Professor Reed Bryson of the University of Wisconsin, and often considered to be one of the fathers of Scientific Climatology said recently of Gores movie "It is not science; it is simply not true". Noting at length that the world has been coming out of a Little Ice Age for 300 years and that there is no credible evidence that it is due to mankind and carbon dioxide. Noting that mans contribution to the modest amount of global warming that has taken place in recent years is "tiny at best" and is "like thereis an elephant charging in and you worry about the fly that sits on his head".

I consider myself an atheist.

@worm, you might not be denying it, but you are saying "if it does turn out to be a problem and human-kind die off, then tough shit". Given there's a reasonable chance that we're the cause of the problem, that is just so anti-social that it's staggering.

yeah. sorry, im just different from you. In truth i find it hard to get myself into a lather about people living in bangladesh who will be born in the future. In much the same way that they couldnt give a fuck about me or my children

This "religion" nonsense is so childish. It's not a belief – it's a widely-accepted scientific theory. Of course you're going to find the occasional scientist who disagrees; quoting one proves nothing. As I said before, there are "scientists" still arguing that gravity is a myth.

Leave the "religion" slurs to American politics rather than dragging this particular debate into that gutter.

This "religion" nonsense is so childish. It's not a belief – it's a widely-accepted scientific theory. Leave the "religion" rubbish to American politics rather than dragging this particular debate into the gutter.

Gotta agree - even though I think the immediate dangers of global warming are exaggerated, at least the claims are backed up by emperical evidence. You may disagree with interpretations or sources of the evidence, but the fact that it is not based on invisible sky wizards makes it not a religion. Its the same nonsense as when the dirty baptists try to call evolution a religion. Fucking plebians.

@Wheel: What is the "realism" that you are trying to inject into the debate? That it might not turn out as bad as scientists fear? Well, you're absolutely right: that may indeed transpire to be the case. But that's hardly an argument for not doing anything.

Actually it's much worse than that. Without a much more complete understanding actions we take now could actually make things worse. If you read the scientific reports they are circumspect, for very good reason. The computer models on which so much faith is placed are extremely susceptible to incorrect or missing parameters. They could easily be completely wrong.