Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Legality of rent increases

7 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I got a letter from my landlord saying he is going to increase my rent by nearly 10%. I know there is rent control in Frankfurt, is he allowed to do that? if not does anyone know an English speaking solicitor who can advise me?

Many thanks. :(

What do you mean by "rent control"? Under German law, he is not allowed to charge significantly more than the "ortsübliche Miete" (i.e. the amount you typically pay for a similar apartment in that specific location). But if the overall rent level goes up, or if the rent you used to pay was below average anyway, he can increase.

not sure if it is different in frankfurt, but check your contract, there should be a clause in the contract for legal increase and if not as far as i know it can not be higher than cost of living increase announced by government

I am not an expert but to the best of my knowledge for a rent hike to be allowed all the four following points have to be met.

1. It must not have been ruled out in the contract.

2. The rent must not have been raised over the last year.

3. The new rent must not be higher than the "ortsübliche Miete", the going rate.

4. The rent may not be increased by more than 20% in three years.

IF what I have written above is correct then the information you have supplied is not sufficient for your question to be answered.

Check and double check your rental contract. In mine, there is stuff about inceases inline with inflation. Every 2 years, my rent goes up a minimum of €30... I guess its one way of encouraging you not to stay too long in the apartment. Talk to the mietverein in frankfurt, there must be one. GOod luck!