Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gourmet food stores and cooking classes

15 posts in this topic

I'd like to start a new thread that discusses the local gourmet stores and gourmet cooking classes in the Rhein Main area, their selection and whether they are worth visiting.

I'll start off with a new store that opened up in the Taunus area called Salon du Cacao. The store offers exclusive international chocolate brands, including my favorite Choc-o- Lait chocolate sticks that melt in your coffee and add a fabulous flavor into your coffee. The store holds "Salon du cacao at home evenings" during which you can try out different brands of chocolate that the store sells.

The Genuss Akademie in Frankfurt offers courses in many different cousines. I took part in the Sushi Sensations course which showed the basics for preparing miso soup, maki sushi, nigiri sushi and Japanese style figs. The course was very informative and the cook Yoshiyuki Otani gave some very helpful helpful tips.

Dr Teufel, yes I know of the (chain)store, but I was more interested in knowing if anyone had personal experience from a winetasting evening here in FFM (and perhaps could recommend one). There is a Weinhändler close to me that looks quite serious, I think I will ask them..

Käseladen on Leipzigerstr 34 in Bockenheim has, uh, some cheese, would you believe? Actually, they have some very good cheese (e.g. reblochon, tomme au marc de Jura, and brie de Meaux (AOC)), as well as assorted other French bits and pieces (homemade brioche, madeleines, various pâtés and terrines, saucisses and saucissons, etc., not forgetting the odd bottle of wine, of course).

As for the wine-tasting, I don't see why we couldn't organise our own 'TT wine-tasting event'. The possible themes are almost endless: wine regions of France (Bordeaux, Bourgogne, Rhône, Loire, Alsace, sud-ouest - there's six events already right there), by country (Spain, Italy, South Africa, Argentina), by grape (merlot, cabernet sauvignon, syrah/shiraz), not to mention the various permutations on old vs new world (chardonnays, syrah/shiraz, pinots either noir gris or blanc, champagne vs sparkling wine).

Some reasonable numbers for a wine-tasting would be 15-16 people per bottle, and 5-6 wines per event. And we'd be able to argue about maturely discuss it in English. Would there be enough interest?

Sounds like a good idea re. the winetasting, Admetus would you be the "Weinführer" if such an event were to take place or would we contract some expert/sommelier? And as you say the possible themes are endless.

Some reasonable numbers for a wine-tasting would be 15-16 people per bottle, and 5-6 wines per event. And we'd be able to argue about maturely discuss it in English. Would there be enough interest?

Sounds like a great idea... I'm in! :)

How about 15-16 wines per event and 5-6 people per bottle? :P JK. Count me for this one.

would you be the "Weinführer" if such an event were to take place

Ha! Maybe. I don't really know that much about wine, but I love drinking it, I can talk absolute rubbish about it for hours (without drawing breath) and I don't mind looking like a complete and utter prat, so I suppose I could.

How about 15-16 wines per event and 5-6 people per bottle?

Liab, we could try one of those too, if you want, and I'd be all for it. But, in that case, I think 'tasting', as a description of the event, would be stretching (and taking liberties with) the language a little too far.

Speaking of wine though, there's some sort of wine fair (Wein am Main) in the Bockenheimer Depot this weekend (complete with workshops and, like, stuff). I'd have gone, but I can't as I'm away this weekend. The website is here. I wasn't around to go to the one last year, but it sounds kinda interesting. If you like wine.

I might have been a little, uh, tired when I was posting last night, so here's some more info about the wine fair:

The "Wein am Main" Messe is being held in the Bockenheimer Depot (nearest U-bahn: Bockenheimer Warte) on Saturday 24 March (1pm-9pm) and Sunday 25 March (1pm-7pm). The €12 entry fee gives you access to the exhibition (where they're expecting around 100 wine-merchants and makers) and to the presentations (45mins each, listed under rahmenprogramm on the website).

And, now, you are better informed as to whether you are interested in clicking on this link to the fair's website, or not.

Cheers.

Admetus regarding the "Weinführer" it was only because it seemed that you might have the know how, I think I know where to ask. The winefair could have been at a more convenient time, my bf has become a bit wineobsessed, he bought a winefridge last week and works really hard on getting the fridge full of wine, so a trip to the winefair might do the trick for the fridge.

I love the Kleinmarkthalle - I always feel like a kid in a sweetie shop when in there looking at all the different stands with endless varieties of everything. If you haven't been yet you should definitely check it out. I have found fruit and cheese varieties there that I haven't yet managed to get anywhere else.

I visited the "Weinmesse" in Bockenheimer Depot this weekend, it was really nice even if at the end me and my friends were perhaps not our most critical selves. A lot of German wines ( which could be expected) but also a nice selection of foreign producers, the only interesting country missing was Australia.

Can't wait for the bottles that we ordered to get delivered!

@ Admetus if you know anything else like this going on then please let me now!