Cat claw removal in Germany

146 posts in this topic

Both of my indoor kitties had their claws removed well, when they were kitties; my leather furniture is so much better for the wear. My female is not a fraidy cat although my male seems to be but they were both in a cattery for the first six months of their lives and did not have a lot of human contact. I don't think I could have an indoor cat that was not declawed again. Note I said indoor! My kitties are now twelve years old.

A

Both of my indoor kitties had their claws removed well, when they were kitties; my leather furniture is so much better for the wear.

Phew! As soon as you said you adopted indoor cats I was thinking "oh no! what about her furniture!". You should get an indoor dog and maim parts of that too, just chop that waggy tail off in case it breaks something, maybe a bit of throat surgery to fix it's annoying bark.

Good greif.

I don't think I could have an indoor cat that was not declawed again.

Don't get an indoor cat then.

I know we're beating a dead horse here, but - WHAT MARSHBOT SAID!

Don't declaw your pets! If you get an indoor cat with claws, get him a cat tree - they will scratch on this and only this.

No I haven't yet. When my vet realized that my kitten lost a claw she said 'it is like having a fingernail ripped out of your finger - it hurts'. Luckily, it has grown back (the claw).

So, if I find a person who does this, I will solicit help from the TT thugs and do a little fingernaill from finger separation.

You have to remember though that it is more than just the fingernail.. it's the whole last bone on your finger. Tendons and all. Thats what you should be removing from said people.

Cinzia makes a good point though. If the only options are euthanasia or declawing, I hope we'd all prefer declawing.

My last kitty (RIP) was an indoor cat and he didn't scratch anything up at all, I'm hoping we'll be as lucky with the new guy (touch wood) but even if he is a nuisance and scratches up the furniture I couldn't declaw him. Pets are a hassle, they break things, pee on things, scratch things, if you don't want the hassle don't have pets.

It should be the golden rule of pet ownership. Modify your home and lifestyle to suit your pet, if you have to modify your pet just to suit your home and lifestyle then you are missing the point.

Plenty of people manage to live happily with indoor cats who are allowed to keep all their body parts (exceptions for surgical procedures that are for the animals well being or well being of others of it's kind), so it's obvious declawing is unnecessary.

There are things you can do to alter the furniture & environment (stain free repellents, covers, training or as mentioned alternatives for the animal like scratch posts). If you've seen how blissful a cat is when it can sit on it's haunches and sharpen it's nails on a scratch post you should feel shamed to think you decided to remove the body part instead of allowing for this simple pleasure.

If your biggest concern is the furniture then get a goldfish, you can always remove most of it's fins so it doesn't need such a big tank to swim in, a small bowl would look lovely beside that mint-condition armchair.

..my leather furniture is so much better for the wear. ... I don't think I could have an indoor cat that was not declawed again.

Pets aren't accessories to people and their furniture. Maiming animals to better suit your lifestyle is forbidden in Germany and the rest of Europe for a good reason. If your furniture is so important to you that you'd rather have your pet's nails ripped out and have it suffering for a long time, then your really really should not have a pet! Cats make excellent laboratory animals because they are tough and do not show pain. That doesn't mean that they do not experience pain. This also applies to having their "fingertips" chopped off. :angry:

@Tom17 - yes, I realize declawing is the whole deal, claw, tendons, bone. My poor kitty somehow had a claw ripped out of her paw (she may have gotten it stuck in the tree on her way down, who knows). But, I think it was still pretty painful for her. Poor thing. She didn't cry or complain at all. She just slept for 4 days and licked it all the time.

Yeah that must have been well painful. Funny how they just suck it up.

I guess out in nature, where the instincts were honed, making a deal out of being ill would scare off your prey or get you found by other predators.

I don't know I am an American and I don't believe in a cat getting declawed or an animal of losing it's manly hood. Though I guess it is a matter of opinion do I believe in getting an animal fixed so long as they can still do the deed, but not populate then I really don't care all that much. If they are still attached and they can hump and not multiply then why not. Though I think some animals should get declawed under the idea of it bettering the animal. Like my cat has a claw that curls awkardly into her paw and caused her pain in her pad as it stabs into her. And I had that claw removed. Not because the cat ruins my crap which she don't but to preserve the quality of life of the cat.

losing it's manly hood.

I believe that's circumcision. They're talking about declawing cats.

It's cruel and barbaric. People who have their cats declawed aren't fit to have pets.

an animal of losing it's manly hood.

You mean something like this? Hmm, I don't find this hood to be particularly manly.

post-3591-1201021234.jpg

On 16/03/2007, 13:00:40, Yeti said:

Can a declawed cat use a remote?

It might sit on the remote and you'll suddenly find yourself watching The Price Is Right. :wacko:

Old thread I have never seen before. Declawing a cat is barbaric and no one contemplating that should be a cat “ owner.”