Cat claw removal in Germany

146 posts in this topic

@ VWSubie: the @ germanyshelley (which you quoted!) at the beginning of parnells post should have given away the fact that parnell wasn't talking to you!

@ VWSubie: the @ germanyshelley (which you quoted!) at the beginning of parnells post should have given away the fact that parnell wasn't talking to you!

I suppose I got confused because while it did say "@germanyshelly", the EDIT part sounded like he was talking about more than just Shelley.

My bad, it's straightened out in my head already, thanks.

parnell, you're intense, and a bit scary. i said no hard feelings, and i meant it. let it go, dude.

you totally know me , totally

post-449-1174046375.gif

Can a declawed cat use a remote ?

I don't speak for all declawed cats, but mine definitely can :lol:

If you consider your cat a part of your family, how can you put him through such a repulsive ordeal? Would you even think about mutilating your own child the same way? Of course not, your child depends upon your protection! And your cat should be able to trust you. In my ignorant view you are at least betraying that trust by declawing your cat. Cats use their claws for numerous things like balance and exercise, they stretch by digging their "nails" into a surface. But declawing goes even further than just removing the nail. The bone, nerves, joints etc. are also amputated. You're actually amputating the last joint of your cat's toe!! It's a painful operation with a painful recovery period. And where is the benefit to your cat?

Well, should I get another cat someday, you've all certainly made me consider opting out of declawing in the future. However, giving me the same information and telling me how horrible I am to my happy kitty will not bring his claws back ;)

It's time for a "Girlfriend claw removal in Germany -- Will a German doctor perform this?" thread.

"I've tried everything and I can't get my girlfriend to stop scratching up the furniture and doors. I try to hold her down and clip her nails, but she screams too loud and I'm afraid the neighbors will call the police. I think the only reasonable solution is to have her declawed."

I hate pinning cats/girlfriends/wives down to do stuff to them.

Just last night I had to give her ear drops. She struggled so bad, I felt awful after.

"I've tried everything and I can't get my girlfriend to stop scratching up the furniture and doors. I try to hold her down and clip her nails, but she screams too loud and I'm afraid the neighbors will call the police. I think the only reasonable solution is to have her declawed."

Well, it may stop her tearing up the furniture, but she may still run around wild in the apartment, bite and bash you - and be happy. Probably won't go outside anymore though.

Not that I agree with this argument in favor of declawing cats, but some people would not get a cat if they weren't able to declaw it. They feel that there is a good chance a cat with claws would damage their furniture, and they are not aware of any arguments against declawing cats. They think it is a routine procedure (which it really is, in America.)

Many landlords also allow cats only if they are declawed. This is a rather ignorant argument, as the landlord is usually only concerned about his/her carpet since the furniture generally belongs to the tenant. A declawed cat often has more problems with urinating where they're not supposed to (such as on the carpet) than a cat with claws, so the requirement makes no sense. (Declawed cats are generally pickier about the material in their litterbox and will eliminate elsewhere if they don't like their litter.)

So the argument goes, if I get a cat, it has to be declawed. If I'm not allowed to declaw the cat, I won't own one and it will be euthanized in the shelter or there will be one more cat without a home.

Or they would breed one cat less. Demand and supply and all that.

If declawing was illegal in the States (hopefully it will be soon), no landlord could request cats to be declawed any more. Maybe some would stop allowing cats, some others might simply make sure any damage to the carpet or walls would be covered by the deposit.

Or they would breed one cat less. Demand and supply and all that.

While that seems to be a nice, easy sounding solution, it just isn't the case. Cats from breeders don't even account for the homeless animals that come up from people not fixing their animals, therefore leading to excessive breeding in that way. Then you have animals the unresponsible owner could not care for that either go to shelters or are abandoned on the street. Then some good samaritan picks them up from the street and brings them to the shelter. Or the many people who let their animals breed that don't care what becomes of the litters.

Or then there's people who feel they can't have their cats anymore so they bring them in the shelter.

Or then still the animals like my last 2 cats before the one I have now (these 2 are living with the folks now) that are just abandoned period when the owners move away. My 2 cats' previous owners just abandoned them in apartments left to die because the owners aparently couldn't take them with.

No. It's very more a problem other than from pro breeders. :(