Cat claw removal in Germany

146 posts in this topic

Jebus about every second dog I see here has a cropped tail... I even saw a cropped border collie here in Munich - now that IS abuse.

Really? I feel like all the dogs' tails in the US are cropped, and here they're not.. Jack Russels for instance.

What about cutting cats' claws so they don't scratch the furniture. Does that make them less mobile? I've cut my cat's nails a couple of times but do it very rarely, as she is very difficult to pin down. She seemed to still be able to do all her tricks.

EDIT: she's an indoor cat

Developed by a Veterinarian, Soft Paws are Safe and Non-Toxic. And so comfortable, most cats don't even know they're wearing them...

...untill they slide down the tree because their claws aren't gripping!

@RogerH

I think a male cat getting the meat slicer treatment from another male cat would rather be ballless that clawless.

Declawing your cat is totally inhumane. As other people have mentioned, they NEED their claws - even if they are an indoor cat (indoor cats need them for cleaning themselves).

At the opposite end of the stick is having your cat or dog sterilized - it is inhumane to NOT do it, unless you are a breeder or something. It is horrible that each spring and fall there is always a new litter of kittens at the farm across the street from my house and most of them die because they are hungry or cold or the mother abandons them or whatever. That is just plain sad. So, all you macho men out there that think that their dogs somehow know that they've been castrated, think again.

I think a male cat getting the meat slicer treatment from another male cat would rather be ballless that clawless.

Agreed - but if it's all the same I think he'd rather have a set of both... The vasectomy option mentioned earlier sounds a lot friendlier.

Suppose you're right, he can still have his fun and tell the moggy of his choice "of course I'll help you with the kittens" but in his own mind he's on a beach in Costa Rica, sipping a cold liqueur and thinking about surfing.

Declawing your cat is totally inhumane. As other people have mentioned, they NEED their claws - even if they are an indoor cat (indoor cats need them for cleaning themselves).

At the opposite end of the stick is having your cat or dog sterilized - it is inhumane to NOT do it, unless you are a breeder or something. It is horrible that each spring and fall there is always a new litter of kittens at the farm across the street from my house and most of them die because they are hungry or cold or the mother abandons them or whatever. That is just plain sad. So, all you macho men out there that think that their dogs somehow know that they've been castrated, think again.

Umm depends if you can keep control of the dog/cat or not doesn't it? If I was a cat/dog (my girlfriend often swears that I was a dog in a previous life... probably cos of the whole leg humping thing) I think I'd rather that thanks a lot.

Speaking of farms I'm from such a background - I've seen castration turn a working cattle dog into a fat lump of shit - if you know border collies you'd know that those dogs LIVE to work.

Trimming your cat's claws with a special clipper is safe if you follow the instructions and don't clip too high, much like clipping your own fingernails. Declawing is an amputation of the first joint of each "finger". Declawed cats have a lot of problems with pain in their paws, especially in later life. If you can't deal with clipping regularly or the damage a cat's claws may cause, get yourself an aquarium.

woof.

Declawing is painful, once performed cats can no longer stretch or knead naturally, they lose their first line of defense, less able to protect themselves they cannot fight off other animals (or nasty owners) and live in a state of stress, causing many cats to become nervous and irritable and more difficult to handle. How can anyone do this to their pet cat just for their own convenience?

definitely agree that its cruel to declaw any animal - for reasons others have mentioned - mind you, that would mean no firemen would have to waste time rescuing cats from up trees anymore... :blink:

I think that spading/neutering your pet is a responsible thing to do though.

I've seen castration turn a working cattle dog into a fat lump of shit .

so a bit like beer with men then :lol:

Trimming your cat's claws with a special clipper is safe if you follow the instructions and don't clip too high, much like clipping your own fingernails. Declawing is an amputation of the first joint of each "finger". Declawed cats have a lot of problems with pain in their paws, especially in later life. If you can't deal with clipping regularly or the damage a cat's claws may cause, get yourself an aquarium.

woof.

Mr. Doggie,

I was not implying that I would declaw my cat as a consequence for her getting squirmy when I try to clip her claws. I would let my furniture suffer before I would her. I do know how to clip them as well. My question was, if cats have problems getting around with shorter, stubby nails.

My cat lost a claw about 6 months ago. I had no idea. She must have gotten it stuck in a tree when she was coming down or something. Anyway, she slept for days straight and was bleeding/oozing from her paw (although I could not figure out where the blood was coming from). I took her to the vet and we found that she lost a claw. Poor thing must have been in so much pain and fighting off infection for a week (before I realized what was going on).

Yes, I agree Parnell, if you ahve a dog and have him controlled, then there is no need to have them spayed or sterilized. I was talking more about cats that are outdoor cats - it's impossible to control them.

I'll agree with you kitkat about outdoor cats - I just don't think it's right to denature animals at all , but putdoor cats are definitely a tough one.

Mr. Doggie,

I was not implying that I would declaw my cat as a consequence for her getting squirmy when I try to clip her claws. I would let my furniture suffer before I would her. I do know how to clip them as well. My question was, if cats have problems getting around with shorter, stubby nails.

My "dead" cat (she should have died of a gastric infection three years ago but rallied) for some reason unkwown does not use our wonderful cat-tree to groom her claws so she has them clipped about every 6 weeks. She is always a little surprised for the first day or so but deals with the shorter, non quite rapier-sharp claws very well and they go back to normal in a few days anyway. At 18, she is not the kind that goes skimming up trees or tearing apart defenceless mice or birds at the least provocation.

Didsbury asked earlier if this was an American thing, I believe it may be. The first time I encountered it was among the US Army community down here.

But there is worse, many years ago I had a supervisor whose dog barked incessantly and so she was getting lots of complaints from her neighbours, but the problem was easily solved - she had his vocal cords severed!!

That's horrible. Dogs bark for a reason. Just like cats do if they want something.

God, that is really, really horrible. What kind of a vet does that sort of thing?!