Cat claw removal in Germany

146 posts in this topic

Just A hypothetical question...

If I had a cat and for some reason fancied having its claws pulled out, would a German vet be prepared or allowed to do this?

I wonder what would your thoughs be on this delicate subject?

G

Illegal in Germany as it is in most European countires.

Declawing illegal countries!

Cat de-clawing sounds terrible but it can't be worse than castrating your male dog / cat. If someone took me into a hospital for a "surprise" little operation I'd rather wake up without any nails than wake up without any bollocks!

Cats don't need their balls for defense or mobility.

@Parnell

Cropping is illegal here, but it still gets done.

Also don't agree with castration (or de-horning for that matter) and it's why I didn't become a vet.

EDIT: I used to work with a Belgian dood , he was a bit strange I thought , referred to his Greek girlfriend as his "wife" a lot , I'm pretty sure she reffered to him in a manner different to "my husband".

Anyhoooo he got a cat , called it "Rupert" , and despite the protestations of his Greek gf , he insisted on getting it castrated. About a month after the op the cat was dead , apparently it had been trying to jump out of the window a couple of times in the last week and eventually got it right.

I have a lot more respect for cats since then.

Cropping is illegal in Germany hence the many long-tailed poodles. I do remember my Granny cropping puppies back 40 years ago, they obviously did not enjoy it.

my mum's tomcat had the snip but he's still got nads! he can still get his lipstick out too. only difference is he can't have a million baby cats.

cat de-clawing is horrid, cats need their claws just for getting about.

should make cropping illegal too

It is and has been since 1999/2000.

In Germany. What about other countries, liek the UK? A friend of mine brought over a cropped Airedale from the UK, and she also mentioned it's not allowed in Germany ...but it may have been before 1999 that she brought it over.

Gross habit.

I'd rather wake up without any nails than wake up without any bollocks!

What about if they removed the last bone on all your fingers? Tendons and all.

I don't know if they do this here, but a friend of mine in the US takes her cat to the vet to have its' claws covered. The covers are these teeny tiny padded things that get slipped onto each nail. It's declawing in a humane way. Apparently you can do it without a trip to the vet, but my just pays to have it done because her cat is a pain in the ass.

Jebus about every second dog I see here has a cropped tail... I even saw a cropped border collie here in Munich - now that IS abuse.

Cats don't need their balls for defense or mobility.

We don't need ours for that either but I'd still be pretty upset if I woke up one morning without them.

my mum's tomcat had the snip but he's still got nads! he can still get his lipstick out too.

Must be a new method andd sounds a lot better than the old one where the guys just lost their buddies (and some of their hormones)

I had a cat in Berlin. He came from the animal shelter. His previous owners had his claws removed illegally. He was totally f*cked in the head, shit scared of anything. He couldn't control his bladder either. It took very long until he finally trusted me and for him to then stop pissing around. I think it is a very selfish and cruel thing to do. How would we like it if somebody were to rip our nails out.

you can't pull a cat's/dog's nails out - that's horrible. they need them, that's why they've got them. same with their tails, ears etc.