Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Owen Hargreaves

332 posts in this topic

I'm proud to live in the city that Owen hails from. Even though I personally (as well as 99.9% of all Canadians) think that ice hockey is a much better game than soccer (football to the Europeans) I'm still proud to see one of our own excelling. In fact, he's got me to watch a few soccer games, and I'm almost afraid to admit how exciting it was.

So go Owen! and Go Calgary Flames! (sorry i know it's a pro hockey team, but it's just the in the spirit of the city).

I just have to say, I am a Canadian who is now living in Europe. I became interested in football(European style) after I came, partly due to the cancelled hockey season. I looked up this site b/c I was interested in what other's thought about Canada's most famous footballer. A lot of mixed opinions - and having never seen him play and not knowing anything about football all I can say is this. There is one thing about most Canadian athletes that I believe distiguishes them from many other nations - they are unselfish and will put their team first making any sacrifice necessary to win. If you look at other Canadians who choose other team sports not as popular as hockey(Steve Nash, Larry Walker, etc.) you will see players that may be slower in maturing, but players who will constantly improve and excell given the right role. That is the real reason hockey is the most exciting spectator sport in the world, the fast paced hard hitting end-to-end action is a bonus. And don't judge hockey by the watered-down, slower game they play in Europe - it's not the same. So in my extremely ignorant opinion, I think any team with Owen on it should be thankful. There.

As a Canadian, as far as I am concerned, England can keep Owen. He hasn't done anything for you guys internationally (not that your teams does anything anyways) But he's a sellout. He has never played for an English team, but if he's going to help your crappy team finally make it somewhere in an international tournament then good for you. What a clown.

England Sucks!

As a canadian myself I would have chosen England as well. It's like being a brazillian born canadian that if had the chance to play hockey at a national level who would you play for ? Right Canada ! Owens a phenomanal player that would have been great for the canadian nationals except for the fact that the rest of the team sucks and management sucks. Just be proud that a fellow canadian is representing us so well over seas.

owen you're a great player!!!!!!!!! stay in Bayern!

I met Owen a couple of months back in Calgary and he's a stand up guy. He has a HOT Girlfriend too!

Now all you English Blokes need to understand that "American Football" Rules!

Go Raiders!

I don't know much about European Football, but I hope that Owen kicks ass.

Best of luck to him and "Blow Me" to all you who diss someone you don't even know!

Pffft...sad.

OWEN, PLEASE JOIN WOLVERHAMPTON!!!!!

...Or Arsenal.

owen i hope you will sacrificed your soul for bayern team

Owen Hargreaves should go to the premiership to play. The German league sucks a$$. If it were any good at all then we would have heard of any other team than Bayern Munich. The best leagues are, in order, Premier League and Serie 'A' if I had to chose a third I would say Spain.

All those naysayers that say Owen shouldn't play for England are on crack. He is one of the top midfielders in the world and as much as he would have helped Canada, he was right in choosing to play for England. I'm sure if an English guy was any good at hockey, and had the choice, would play for Canada.

As for those of you who have said that Becks is a fag; you are just jealuos of his ability and that a$$ he is tapping.

GO OWEN AND GO ENGLAND!! WORLD CUP CHAMPS 2006!!!

i absolutly love owen hargreaves. i think he is the best player on the team and should make the starting line up in every england match.

at least he scored his penalty in euro against portugal unlike mr Beckham.

Hargreaves should join Manchester United. We still haven't found a replacement for Nicky Butt!

Owen Hargreaves looks hot! Especially with that lush dark curly hair. It's like Ryan Giggs' Mr Darcy locks. I'd like to see more of him...

Owen...buddy... I can't believe you betrayed Canada like you did! BORN here, RAISED here, LEARNED YOUR FOOTBALL here until 16 years old... The least you could do was put on the Maple Leaf and try to grow the game here! Imagen how much more popular football would be in Canada if we had a Canadian international playing for Bayern!

oh well, Canada still has De Guzman (Deportivo La Coruna), Stalteri (Spurs), Radzinski (Fulham), Klukowski (Club Brugge), Hutchinson (Helsingborg), Hume (Leicester), De Vos (Ipswich) and more...

Still, Hargreaves SHOULD be on this list: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic...128&whichpage=1

The greatest soccer player to come out of canada is Hargreaves and for all you loud mouth italianos in Canada he is not italian and was never trained by one.

Owen will stay in munich until 2010. He is extend his contract this week. The right decision.

I'm glad he's staying in Munich for a little while longer. The truth is he's too good to play for Canada.

I can't believe some of the harsh comments on here. Especially from Anonymous. He has to be good to play for Bayern Munich or else Hoeness wouldn't let him play for Bayern.

Owen`s choice to stay in Munich is okay. Bayern Munich is a great football club. The german Bundesliga has on the average 40.000 spectators per match!!! That is world record!!( better than the english merchandising "primitiv" league)

Germany don`t need an Abromowitch or Glazer

I played for the Edmonton Strikers and I played against Hargreaves when he was playing for the Calgary Foothills and for Calgary in the Alberta summer games. He didn't exactly stand out but then again we are talking about 12 years back. Its good to see a Canuck make it as far as he did so the rest of you who diss him, I have one Question for you," What Professional Football Club do you play for"... I thought so. Way to Go Owen!!! You make Alberta proud!

I think hargreaves plays for one of the Best teams in the world. Come on winning the champions League and the World Team championship in his first year at bayern says it all.