Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Official paperwork for foreign visitors to Munich

14 posts in this topic

Hi

Just thought I'd share a quick story and some info

Was at the KVR today to get a "verpflichtungserklaerung" for someone visiting me from South Africa (you need this in order to invite people who need visas).

The first time I did it for my folks last year I needed

- proof of travel insurance (turns out that they accept foreign travel insurance which I only found out after spending 130 Eur on insurance at the travel agency here!)

- three months' salary slips

- visitors' details (including passport numbers, dates of birth etc)

Today I went back today for my brother and they needed

- one month's salary slip

- visitor's details (as above)

Turns out my address was wrong in their system (no wonder as I moved and didn't go to the KVR to do an ummeldung) and they wouldn't give me the erklaerung thingey! So I had to sit in the queue downstairs and fill in the form there to say that I've moved. The woman crapped me out for waiting so long - turns out that you are supposed to register arrival in Munich or moving within Munich within 1 WEEK :blink: .

Anyway, once that was all done it went okay.

Just in case anyone is moving (or has moved and hasn't changed their address at Pocci str) and/or inviting someone over who needs a visa :)

Here are some info on how to successfully apply for a Verpflichtungserklaerung.

We had a friend visiting from the UK in July 2004 and the German Embassy in the UK requested this Verpflichtungserklaerung (Undertaking) prior to issuing her visa. (She's a South African) The request for this Undertaking from the German Embassies in varies from country to country.

This Undertaking states that you take full responsibility for that person during his/her stay. Even though she was working and was a 100% self sufficient in the UK, we still had to obtain this form. She also HAD to get additional Insurance Cover for herself.

The application process is quite a long paper-trial ... but here goes:

1. Get all the info from the person visiting:

- Name, Surname

- Address

- Date of Birth

- Passport Number

- Nationality

- Duration of stay

2. The Landlord has to complete and sign the Wohnraumbescheinigung form, which you get at your local Rathaus

3. The Rathaus has to stamp the completed Wohnraumbescheinigung, you must take it back with you

4. You have to get a letter (Verdienstbescheinigung) from your Employer stating your date of birth, your employment commencement date, confirming your monthly salary and they must sign it.

Ensure that the letter is dated correctly!

5. You have to go to your local Auslander Ampt with the following documentation at hand:

- Visitors information

- Your passport and a copy of your passport together with a copy of your work & residency permit

- Copy of your Work Contract

- Wohnraumbescheinigung form

- Verdienstbescheinigung letter

- Latest Pay / Salary Slip

6. Complete the Verpflictungserklarung form, which can only be obtained from the Auslander staff. Check that all your supporting documentation are ok with that person.

7. Go to the Kasse and pay your 20 euro's

8. You have to go back to the person that gave the form to you, show your receipt and they will stamp the Verpflictungserklarung

That's it!

If you have all your documentation together, this can take less than an hour or up to a morning (depending how busy they are).

Does anyone know how long I could stay here for if I got a verpflichtungserklaerung from my boyfriend? And is it renewable?

This is not determined by the Verpflichtungserklärung but by the visa that you have to

apply for with the Verpflichtungserklärung. If you can show proof of a health insurance for 90 days

(maximum duration of visit/business visa) you should be able to get a visa for 90 days.

BTW, getting the Verpflichtungserklärung stamped is not always that much of a hassle. When I went

to the Kreisverwaltungsreferat to get one for a Senegalese friend of mine I made a point of dressing

in a suit (which I normally hate) and they did not even look at the copy of my contract that I had brought.

They did not even ask for a proof of residence. I was out again in about 10 minutes ...

We did it in 2003 (so things may have changed) but I was able to stay for a year (we were not married at the time of application).

We did not need any special letters from landlord or work...just:

- passports

- Anmeldung (you do this first at the Bürgerburo)

- last 5 payslips (1 was not enough for them)

- Mietvertrag (for some reason it has to show the Quadratmeter and ours was old and did not so we *almost* had a problem there)

- Arbeitsvertrag (for the person supporting you)

- proof of health insurance (for you)

- 2 passport photos

and the Verpflichtungserklärung form (we obtained that at the counter when we got there...it was easy to complete).

You pay the fee and away you go.

It was pretty simple I must say. But not everyone has the same experience down at the KVR unfortunately.

Not sure about the renewing as when we went back after the year we were married and it was no longer required. But I would imagine if you aren't married that there has to be some way to renew it.

If you are planning some work at the KVR,

A quickinfo.

Friday Morning 7 am. seems to be the best time to be there for getting your work done quickly.

By 8.30 am, it gets crowded.

And Wednesdays they do not entertain visitors.

"Mittwoch

grundsätzlich kein Parteiverkehr, nur Terminvereinbarungen"

The Link for KVR Open timings:

KVR open timings

Thought this be helpful for visitors.

does anyone know what kind of insurance they require u to have?? I have insurance in the states that will cover me over here for medical emergencies..any chance that will be good enough?

Not 100% sure...but they barely glanced at mine...and I had BUPA from the UK. I just showed them my insurance card and that was enough for them. They didn't ask to see the policy or anything else about it.

Could be they are stricter with others...I have often heard different stories from different people about going there i.e. some are in and out in 5 mins whereas others it can take several trips back and forth :(

Does anyone have any experience with this or know if it is even possible? I want to go to Germany to study, but am having some issues with getting my Lebenskosten $ together. I'm saving money, but don't have most of what I would need in order to get my student visa. Would it be possible to avoid the Lebenskosten issue if my BF signed a Verpflichtserklärung saying that he would be responsible for me during my time in Germany? If so, does anyone know generally how much money one must earn in order to be able to sign and take financial responsibility like this? I plan on calling the consulate and asking them a few questions, but I would also like to hear some of the experiences of some people here.

I know we could both avoid the hassle by getting married, but neither of us want to rush a marriage just to avoid this all.

Hi,

Any ideas as to what is the equivalent document of the Wohnraumbescheinigung for someone who is not renting but instead living at their own place?(apartment owner)

Thanks 

Not exactly sure, but an Auszug aus dem Grundbuch stating that you're the property owner might do the trick.

11 hours ago, bail_me_out said:

Hi,

Any ideas as to what is the equivalent document of the Wohnraumbescheinigung for someone who is not renting but instead living at their own place?(apartment owner)

Thanks 

We brought our Kaufvertrag and Grunbuchauszug along - that worked. (Was for a niederlassungserlaubnis, but I suppose the same rules would apply). I think actually just the Grundbuchauszug would have been enough

What if you are self-employed, and can't therefore provide any letter from an employer?