Knut - the polar bear born at Berlin zoo

147 posts in this topic

Thanks Planetmoni! I'll put in an order and start clearing out the freezer so I can fit some cuddly toys and a basket in there for him.

Knut is so hot (even though I may have thought his name was pronounced "nut" up until yesterday). Here he is on this month's cover of German Vanity Fair.

Is he doing some kind of crazy karate move for the camara? haha

post-15026-1175241433.jpg

Right next to Knut's photo is the title, "Ich bin kein Heiratstyp", "I am not the type to get married" :lol:

Have not read all the posts so far ( so perhaps someone else has written about this) but I just saw on that some channel ( I think Sat I) airs a show on Saturday mornings at 0950 about Knut. I think Knut is the cutest thing ever but things are getting a bit out of control, he is an animal not a teddy bear.

What is your problem? I was not commenting the fact that he is an ANIMAL but the fact the crazy ( in my opinion) German television is going to air a show on Saturday mornings aboiut Knut. My mom always says "if you have nothing nice to say, do not say anything"...

What's not nice about being an animal?

And anyhoo, I happen to like TV shows about animals. Unless it's cruel, like putting skates on him and making him dance. But if it raises awareness for polar bears I don't see a problem with it.

Would your mom like you saying unkind things about TV shows about animals? Hmmm?

What I'm wondering about Knut is would Angelina Jolie hump him? I mean she's done all kinds of other weird shit and seemingly she's on his level beauty wise so whaddaboudit?

I think it is cruel since we do not know how it might effect him and I think it is wrong when we transfer human behaviour and sentiments to an animal...but I also think docu-soaps are wrong when the are about humans so perhaps this is why I am put-off by this. I also like tv-shows about animals, the Richard Attenborough kind, which I doubt this is...

However Knut is supercute but I think we should leave him alone...

i don't think knut cares and notices these things. media attention will get less. being in zoo, means he will never really be out of the public eye. i hope he gets to meet some other bears in his (imprisoned) life.

I'm a sucker for animal shows -- those zoo shows (in leipzig) -- weiches fell, scharfe krallen -- all that stuff. I love it. Those shows have a benefit, too. We can ogle Knut and other little cuties without pestering them with our physical presence (just once with the cameraman, not with the millions in the audience) -- I pretend for an hour that I, too, could be a rhino shit shoveler...

I should have mentioned this at coffee, but is anyone up for visiting Knut at the zoo next weekend? BerlinOnline claims he's out to be seen from 14:00 to 15:00, so it could be a pre-coffee activity (and we could do coffee somewhere in Tiergarten or Charlottenburg).

... if you havent already gone, save yourself the trip. I had to go because of work and the chaos there is unbelieveable. I went to film the chaos, so for me it was perfect, but never again!! I'd hate to see what its like on the weekend. You have to line up out the zoo then to get a front row seat you have to stand at the fence hours before he comes out.. "let the water cool down before attempting to enter..."... but of course there are the other animals in the zoo :)

CNN: Bastards plan to eat Knut

Ok not literally, I just liked the title.

Haribo, the German candy company that makes gummi bears, has created a white, marshmallow-like Knut candy that will hit grocery stores across Germany and Austria next week. The candymaker also will contribute part of its proceeds to the zoo.

"Our Knut candies have raspberry flavor and are sold in boxes of 150 pieces or over the counter for five cents each," Marco Alster, a Haribo spokesman, said Thursday.

Yea please someone please just eat the little bugger. Not that i got anything against him personally, but i only got so much patience for cutycutycutysweetnessdiddldaddl ... and it seems like month that you cannot walk past a newspaper stand without subconsiously reading KNUTKNUTKNUTKNUTKNUTkunt...

I mean... weeks after weeks with like 6 pages in all the unimportant newspapers of the city, it is like nothing else happens in the town anymore. They could probably burn the rütlischule down and proclaim the anarchist republic of kreuzberg, and no one would even notice because the're all busy with KNUT.

I might have to try this Knut candy. Mmmmm...He is very adorable but yes, people obsess a little too much.

... if you havent already gone, save yourself the trip. I had to go because of work and the chaos there is unbelieveable.

As JTW mentioned in the other post, getting in to see knut was actually easier than expected. We just went to the bears area about an hour before he was put on display and wound up with "front row" standing area. The catch is that you only get to see him for 10 minutes before being "kindly" asked to move on so that others can see him too.

I did take some video, and it's on youtube for those that want to see knut and all the other baby animals (they have baby baboons, pigs, elephant, geraffe, etc. too!) that were on display on Saturday. To find the post, check the coffee meetup thread for Berlin.

~Rose