Life in Vancouver - Canada

37 posts in this topic

The first month's rent applies to the first 30 days of your contract, so if it starts June 15th, your rent is covered until July 14th.

Thanks for the link, but as I'm dealing with an already established flat (whats the non British term for that?) so I have nothing to do with the landlords. Just people looking for a roomie, so they've said that I have to pay for the weeks I'm not there. Which is unheard of back home, unless you really want the place and asked them to hold it for you, which isn't the case here.

Yeah...Vancouver...also known as 'sunshine city'...known for its hippies too...! My cousin who s from toronto lives there in vancouver now doing her masters...she also raves about the city and its surroundings..! well, i m also looking forward to visit that place n getcha fRe4k oN...! ;-)

Nikio, if your future "roomies" are pulling that stunt on you now, there's no reason to believe they'll stop there -- especially if they know they can get away with it. Sounds to me like you're signing up for a room and a pack of trouble. My advice would be to forget this place and find somewhere else to live.

Hi All, If you have options to live in Vancouver or Munich, which one do you prefer? I have offered 2 years contract in both cities but don't know which way to go?

I lived in Vancouver for grad school and then came to Munich for my postdoc. I think both cities are amazing but they are really hard to compare. I agree with westvan, what kind of adventure are you looking for? What kind of activities do you enjoy? Do you have family or close friends in either city?

I'll soon be in tow on a business trip to Vancouver. Any tips on fun things to do for a week with a 9 year old boy? Will I need a car? The rental home is near downtown [Grandview district], walking distance to the "Sky Train".

Will I need an umbrella in summer? ;)

Assuming that Vancouver weather is close to Seattle, I seem to recall that the rain seasons were mostly in spring and fall so you should be ok without an umbrella :)

Gas Town for sure and get a pianting from the Indian (homeless or just drunk?) dude. Gross mountain since your into that hiking and outdoors shit ;-)

I had a car but if your staying directly in town maybe pass on it. There is a few awesome hockey stores in town ;-)

Didn't have the time but a flight in a water plane taking off from the harbour would be awesome. :D

OK, thanks for the tips. What's in Gas Town? Red light district? :P

I'm about to book a house that is near Nanaimo and E. Hastings streets, not far from Playland Amusement Park*. Is this a decent/ safe neighborhood? It's called the Hastings-Sunrise district.

*edit: hey, cool!

For kids, Science World is pretty cool, and the aquarium too. I would also recommend renting a bike and cycling around Stanley Park, there's a great path that goes all the way around it. You wouldn't need a car for any of those things. You can also hike up the mountains in North Van, or take the gondola up and hike around at the top. That can all be reached by public transit.

Is this a decent/ safe neighborhood?

It's mostly a residential area. Working class and multicultural. Not the fanciest part of town, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oops, jessibeth was faster but here are a few links for you:

Playland is lots of fun, as is Science World on Quebec Street.

The Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park is wonderful for kids and the park itself is great for just running around. You would have to bus it there.

In North Vancouver, Grouse Mountain and the Capilano Suspension Bridge are worth a visit. There is a shuttle that goes from downtown to Grouse Mountain several times a day. For the suspension bridge there's a regular bus from downtown or you can take the SeaBus from Waterfront Station to Londsdale Quay and then continue on by bus. Public transportation details at the TransLink site.

Gastown is one of the city's oldest neighbourhoods and Vancouver is also home to N. America's third largest Chinatown. If you decide to visit those it's best to avoid what they call the Downtown Eastside - Main Street, the north of Chinatown, East Hastings, and the east side of Gastown. The area you're thinking of renting in is a bit outside of that and should be OK.

And definitely take an umbrella. Vancouver's weather is different from Seattle's and you never know when it's going to rain.

Maybe it's like Dublin, Ireland. If you can't see the mountains, it's raining. If you can see the mountains, it's going to rain.

Thank you, westvan, for all the links! Much appreciated. :) Grouse mountain looks great -- I love the photo of the eatery there with the grizzly waltzing by! :lol:

I'm waiting to hear back on some rental homes... I'm also considering the Yaletown area, because it would be easy to get around from there and more convenient for the GerMan.

Is Whistler worth a trip in summer?

Maybe it's like Dublin, Ireland. If you can't see the mountains, it's raining. If you can see the mountains, it's going to rain.

Thats the PNW mentality. Oh look Mt Hood , rains will be coming from the North this time...

Yaletown is great. That would be a really good option.

There's a lot to do on Grouse Mountain. My parents live about a 5 min walk away from it and our kids loved it up there when we were visiting. They have a grizzly bear habitat and the lumberjack and bird of prey shows are really entertaining.

I haven't been to Whistler in about a hundred years but I think it would be worth it if you have the time. It's a beautiful drive.

Oh, and take lots of money. All these attractions are outrageously expensive. :P