Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Woohoo! I've been offered a job in Aschaffenburg

7 posts in this topic

Well the job offer is in and the decision is made and the notice is about to be handed into the current employer here in Dublin Ireland. Yes the move to Frankfurt is on. Well close enough, its actually a move to Aschaffenburg. Whether to live in FF, Aschaffenburg or elsewhere is a decision yet to be made. It all depends on the public transport and the speed of the trains, especially as I have a girlfriend in Stuttgart who could possibly move in with me if we find a suitable half way point. All suggestions on a post card...

... so yeah I havent got a lot of german at all (I can ask for a beer, count to 100 and ask for strawberries, thats about it :) ) so I am sure I will be on this site all the time looking for advice on this that and the other :)

I visited Aschaffenburg last November when the German National Gliding conference was held there.

Town made a nice enough impression with its castle (Schloß Johannisburg) and modern Stadthalle where our conference was held.

Aschaffenburg is on the Northwest tip of Bavaria (really the area called Franken) and is close to Frankfurt with Autobahn connected (was

being dug up whilst I was there).

Due to attracting a number of companies to the area the town is fairly well-off; for example makes significant grants

to clubs acquiring sports equipment the like of which we can only dream about up here...

Dont be put off by people trying to tell you that the town name translates to "Backside Monkey's Castle".

I spent some time there when I worked for C&A at their Distribution Centre. I stayed in hotels and found the area pleasant. The DC may now be closed, but it was there due to the good road communications.

Aschaffenburg itself is a vaguely pleasant town; probably quite a nice place to live. It's known for its various parks. Frankfurt isn't anything special as far as cities go, but if you like a busy nightlife then it is definitely a good place to live. It's about a 30-minute journey on the ICE between the two. Frankfurt is also more accessible to Stuttgart. The general region around Aschaffenburg is nice; the towns and villages along the River Main are often very pretty and a lot of good wine is produced in the area. Miltenburg (photo) is about 20 minutes away and is especially attractive, although you probably wouldn't want to live there.

Congrats on getting the job and good luck with the move!

post-977-1173263867_thumb.jpg

... Whether to live in FF, Aschaffenburg or elsewhere is a decision yet to be made. It all depends on the public transport and the speed of the trains, especially as I have a girlfriend in Stuttgart who could possibly move in with me if we find a suitable half way point. ...

i hate to disappoint you, but you won't find a suitable halfway point unless you both are prepared to drive quite a long way to work. sure, you can get the ICE from FFM to Stuttgart in less than 1.5 hours, but that is one way, not including getting to the office. you cannot drive it that fast either! but congrats anyhow!

Thanks all. So far I like what Im seeing. Was in an irish bar in FFM and Aschaffenburg this weekend, had a look around a few areas, lay on the river bank in AS in the sun and got a nice feel for the place. Looking forward to deciding where to live and making the first move over to find a place.